Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Choke lever

Views : 2710

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2018, 18:17   #11
Faust
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Simon;

Thanks for your picture of a RHD mechanism which shows the clip in question well...of course my picture is of a LHD version...I forgot to make mention of that...I've got to remember to do that around here...!

Mike;

That clip is somewhat specialized and it may be tricky to locate...but if you have a solution in place which works but simply vibrates a bit, remove the slop with some washers, metal or even cut from plastic, and you should be fine...a miniature Omega clip would do it too...or you could wrap the mechanism with some low density foam...or you could just turn up the radio...lot's of options...!

Cheers
I put some dum dum putty on there as a temp fix and it's stopped the worst of the vibration... couple of washers also helped (fun job in the dark at 8pm the other night but I got it done).

The clip is part 666622 and I've got one winging its way to me (Skandix sell them but I used the Classic Volvo Restoration site - had a few hard to find bits off them before and they provide a pretty good service).
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 18:48   #12
toad_overload

Finally found the diagram.

Needs an iron but hopefully helpful to someone!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0Gbjt5cV4jY7rT0w1
toad_overload is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toad_overload For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 16:31   #13
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad_overload View Post

Needs an iron
I’ve quickly ironed it for you.

The problem is that this also seems to be for a LHD car (as was Ron’s picture earlier on - post #2). No good if you’re trying to figure it out for a RHD car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Group 2d Engine control linkages 17.jpg (76.2 KB, 26 views)
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 02:59   #14
michael lyttle

Default Choke cable sheathing

The previous owner apparently cut the black sheathing a bit short on one of the two cables under the dash so the inner metal cable slips in the clamp. What is a good way to repair the missing sheathing or can i remove it from the other one so the clamp has equal pressure on both? This is a 1965 Amazon. I will barb the clamp as Ron Kwass described in the SW-EM posting. Thanks
michael lyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 15:28   #15
michael lyttle

Default Choke cable sheathing

The black sheathing is cut short of the clamp under the dash on my amazon and the metal tube is slipping. This is on one cable the other is sheathed and works fine. Is there a good method to add a sheathing to equalize the clamp’s grip on the cable missing the sheathing? Can i remove the sheathing from the other cable and expect the clamp to grip the inner metal tubing tight enough? I considered adding electrical heat shrink tubing to the bare metal tube to add a sheathing layer?? Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 19:48   #16
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Michael;

Choke (and Heater) Bowden Cables are known for slipping when a bit of corrosion on the center cable and inside surface of sheath increases friction, even when the rubber sheath is present!...so I can easily expect this is even more so an issue without the sheath...

If the sheathless area is not too long and can be cut away (typically the cables are not so short that loss of an inch or so cannot easily be endured), that's what I'd do first, then barb the sheath clamps to assure that slipping is much less possible, if at all...another option if sheathless area is too long (made that way for reasons I can't even imagine!) is to replace sheath with multiple layers of heat-shrink tubing...

...and reassemble, after lubing inside sheath (graphite!), and adjust.

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 15:07   #17
csm22

When I installed a new cable, the lack of friction led to the choke lever easing back into retracted position under engine vibration. Found that a nylon washer tightened things up a bit while still preserving smooth operation.

Cheers from Ohio,

Chris
csm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 16:51   #18
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Chris;

When you replaced cables, did you notice if they were the newer type with a plastic inner liner (which seem the common replacement now)? This keeps operating friction more constant over a long service life, and prevents the long-term surface corrosion from causing so much internal friction that lubing becomes necessary.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2022, 19:42   #19
csm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Chris;

When you replaced cables, did you notice if they were the newer type with a plastic inner liner (which seem the common replacement now)? This keeps operating friction more constant over a long service life, and prevents the long-term surface corrosion from causing so much internal friction that lubing becomes necessary.

Cheers
Ron,

Can't say I paid too much attention to the construction config, but since I bought them about three years ago I suspect they'd be the "newer type" cable. All I know is that the choke operates nice and smoothly; once I snugged up the bellcrank friction a bit with the nylon washer, it's been perfect for the past three years.

Chris
csm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to csm22 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2022, 03:41   #20
michael lyttle

Default Choke cables

Ron, thanks for the info. I was trying to find the least messy way that works to literally pour the thinned grease. It seems the inner piano like wire is such a tight fit in the wire tube. My missing black sheath is under the dash near the clamp on only one cable. To put shrink tube on I slit it and put three layers around the wire tube then put the clamp on and heated it. The wire tube/coil still slides. Do you think it would work to remove the sheathing on the other wire to have the clamp gripping the same size tube, even though it would be the metal tube on both cables? The only way to possibly do a better installation of the shrink tube would be to slide them from the carb end all the way to the inside clamp and it would have to be large enough to slide over the black sheathing to start. A lot of effort if not a good result! Just like this is a lot of typing for a problem of this sort!