Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Details of the new 2018 MMM+ Navigation Update

Views : 4057

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2018, 11:13   #21
johnny250
Volvo Virgin

Default DVD discs

Anyone have experience of 'copy discs' that may be available....?
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 00:40   #22
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Uh Oh! - Swiss will be on your case pretty soon I would think...

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 06:50   #23
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Here's what I have seen in my life:

A DVD or a CD can be copied verbatim by various copy programs.

But a copied DVD is not identical to a pressed DVD.
It can suffer 2 primary issues:

1. Errors through the copy process. Depending on the quality of the blank, and the quality of the drive used to make a copy disc, and the speed in which it was created, the copied DVD will have errors on it.
I once researched copy errors of a CD at various burn rates and was surprised at how many errors resulted.
Most all DVDs and CDs have error correction algorithms built into the data and thus will correct the errors to a certain extent - but sometimes the errors are significant, and can cause havoc in the reader.

2. Due to the physical design, a copied DVD or CD does not reflect as much light as a pressed DVD or CD. It is simply less reflective.
This means the laser works a bit harder.
If the laser is old and getting weak, it may struggle.
In my life I have seen nav units read pressed DVDs perfectly, but struggle to read copied DVDs. Simply due to the age of the laser. Only solution here was to use an original pressed disc, or change the laser (or drive)

So how many operational hours has your laser had?
Look it up in the nav.
Then research the design lifetime of automotive lasers and make a guess as to where it is in it's lifetime curve.

So there you go.

I have concentrated on the physics only.
I won't make any comments here on the legal or moral aspects of copying a disc.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 10:17   #24
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

What about setting up a group buy on the forum in the same way as the Volvotech CFE? is it the forum co-ordinator who would do this?
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 14:21   #25
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJSDriver View Post
What about setting up a group buy on the forum in the same way as the Volvotech CFE? is it the forum co-ordinator who would do this?
That would be software piracy:
a deliberate attempt to defraud the seller by knowingly buying a copyrighted item for generation of copies intended to be sold
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 15:48   #26
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Sorry - this is not what I meant; I am wondering if we can get enough people together to arrange a bulk discount from a Volvo dealer if they will accommodate this.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 21:30   #27
johnny250
Volvo Virgin

Updated in 210 minutes for £22. needed a battery chargehalf way through, and leaving it unlocked with the keys in, but seems fine.....
Old May 5th, 2021, 17:49   #28
stavvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny250 View Post
Updated in 210 minutes for £22. needed a battery chargehalf way through, and leaving it unlocked with the keys in, but seems fine.....
Whats the process Johnny? Do you buy the updated discs from Volvo?
stavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2021, 18:18   #29
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

At £22, no - he didn't.

Like many of us on here, I guess Johnny250 (who hasn't been back online since last Christmas), bought from one of the "replica disc" sellers.

These sellers will include instructions, but basically you need to let the system update itself by reading from the new discs.

This can take more than 3 hours - with the ignition on.

If you are making a lengthy trip, you can do it then, otherwise you will need a beefy (5+ Amp) charger on the battery while you do it (or leave the engine running of course...)

I believe you can pause the update and then continue later, but I can't remember exactly how that goes.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harley Dave For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2021, 12:28   #30
stavvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Dave View Post
At £22, no - he didn't.

Like many of us on here, I guess Johnny250 (who hasn't been back online since last Christmas), bought from one of the "replica disc" sellers.

These sellers will include instructions, but basically you need to let the system update itself by reading from the new discs.

This can take more than 3 hours - with the ignition on.

If you are making a lengthy trip, you can do it then, otherwise you will need a beefy (5+ Amp) charger on the battery while you do it (or leave the engine running of course...)

I believe you can pause the update and then continue later, but I can't remember exactly how that goes.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Dave
stavvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mmm+ navigation update