Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 petrol fuel pressure

Views : 754

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2018, 22:00   #1
ClassicChris

Default V70 petrol fuel pressure

2000 V70 (P80) B5244 S2 Manual

I have the CEL on and VIDA gives me the code 'ECM-250A Long-term fuel trim - lower limit'. (A generic reader gives 'P0170 - System Too Rich'). The freeze frame gives the value 0.77 for long term fuel trim, so I am assuming this is (or is close to) the lower limit. There are no driveability issues at all.

VIDA says the fuel pressure should be 3.0 bar. So I check the fuel pressure and find 3.9 bar - problem found, I'm thinking. I also check that the fuel pressure holds up when turned off - to check for leaking injectors - which it does. So I go looking for the fuel pressure regulator which on my car is mounted rather untidily in the fuel line at the back just forward of the filter. The regulator is part 9186277 which is marked 3.8 bar. WTF?

So, if I am to believe VIDA, then I should have a 3.0 bar regulator. Could it be that my car has had the wrong regulator fitted all it's life and the long-term fuel trim has been compensating - until now, when due to accumulated age-related effects, it has run out of range? This would account for my problem very tidily but I am struggling to believe that Volvo would have fitted the wrong regulator. Could they?

Before I try fitting a 3.0 bar regulator (not a trivial task due to the nylon fuel tubing) does anyone have any insight into this? Specifically, should I believe VIDA when it says the pressure should be 3.0 bar?

Last edited by ClassicChris; Apr 25th, 2018 at 22:15.
ClassicChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 23:19   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicChris View Post
2000 V70 (P80) B5244 S2 Manual

I have the CEL on and VIDA gives me the code 'ECM-250A Long-term fuel trim - lower limit'. (A generic reader gives 'P0170 - System Too Rich'). The freeze frame gives the value 0.77 for long term fuel trim, so I am assuming this is (or is close to) the lower limit. There are no driveability issues at all.

VIDA says the fuel pressure should be 3.0 bar. So I check the fuel pressure and find 3.9 bar - problem found, I'm thinking. I also check that the fuel pressure holds up when turned off - to check for leaking injectors - which it does. So I go looking for the fuel pressure regulator which on my car is mounted rather untidily in the fuel line at the back just forward of the filter. The regulator is part 9186277 which is marked 3.8 bar. WTF?

So, if I am to believe VIDA, then I should have a 3.0 bar regulator. Could it be that my car has had the wrong regulator fitted all it's life and the long-term fuel trim has been compensating - until now, when due to accumulated age-related effects, it has run out of range? This would account for my problem very tidily but I am struggling to believe that Volvo would have fitted the wrong regulator. Could they?

Before I try fitting a 3.0 bar regulator (not a trivial task due to the nylon fuel tubing) does anyone have any insight into this? Specifically, should I believe VIDA when it says the pressure should be 3.0 bar?
There are early and late systems , Yours is later , The early ones had the pressure regulator on the fuel rail , so this may account for your two different figures quoted .
Old May 5th, 2018, 11:07   #3
ClassicChris

OK, problem fixed - simply by re-plugging the MAF connector a few times. As soon as I had done this the fuel trims started recovering and after about 100 miles had settled to sensible values. Just kicking myself now that it took me so long to try that. I have now gone round cleaning all the sensor connections for good measure.

I didn't change the fuel pressure regulator and I have to conclude that VIDA is wrong for my late-model V70 (MY 2000). Good to know that you can trust the official documentation!
Old May 5th, 2018, 11:33   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Brilliant - thanks for posting the result, you must be chuffed. I always spray a bit of WD40 on the connectors to ward off corrosion, or better still a little wipe of Vaseline, this seems to work for a long term fix, but the main thing is you're sorted, well done.

Cheers!