Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Test drive "after the deed"

Views : 2588

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2018, 22:00   #1
Crockers
Premier Member

Default Test drive "after the deed"

Well the Inscription Pro T5 is on order, but I had forgotten that Alfa Romeo had offered me a 48 hour test drive of their Stelvio.

So yesterday evening there sat in my drive is a Stelvio Speciale 280 bhp Petrol version in a striking dark metallic blue with black leather.

So hoping in I looked over the interior. Comfy and a great improvement over other Alfas of the past. This one didn't have the super sport seats of the Milanese version.

Graphics are good compared to Alfas of old but not in the same league as my Golf GTi or the new xc60.

So what is it like to drive. Will I regret my purchase?

Mon Dieu this thing is rapid. I would say it sprints faster than my Golf and hangs onto corners with aplomb. This is a real drivers car - make no mistake- and will leave you grinning from ear to ear.

So today we took off for a days drive up to Becon Beacons to give it a good try out. Cruising on the dual carriage way I was constantly having to hold it back before realising the DNA was in dynamic. 80 felt like 50.

Did we enjoy ragging the Beacons?

Well this now gets to the sad bit. The ride is horrendously bumpy. On 19" wheels it feels like it will bounce off the road. The steering is too sharp. Slightest input causes large movements. So getting towards Gloucester Mrs C says I hate this ride and I had to agree its not the best. So we swing into Gloucester Quays, have lunch and blow too much money on clothes. Well she does

Then home.

Have the car for another 24 hours and I don't want it anymore.

Hats off to Alfa for a great first attempt at a SUV. For me I'd want it with air suspension (not available), better seats, better graphics.

Can't really fault the looks, but rear visibility isn't up there with the Volvo. I love the looks of Alfas, especially the Giulia, but I actually think the new XC60 is a better looker.

Sorry to bore you guys with this but I'm now convinced I've gone For the best all round car.

As an aside. Configure one on the Alfa configurator and look at the cost of adding an extra 2 years on the warranty.
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 22:42   #2
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Didn't Jeremy Clarkson fall in love with one of these when it was launched and came to much the same conclusion?
Just imagine if he had tried it on the Shropshire potholed roads..........
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 08:37   #3
Crockers
Premier Member

For those who haven't looked up the Alfa warranty extension.

To increase it to 5years or 75,000 miles would cost ........

£4,100 ... Do you think Alfa has confidence in this product ??
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 08:49   #4
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
For those who haven't looked up the Alfa warranty extension.

To increase it to 5years or 75,000 miles would cost ........

£4,100 ... Do you think Alfa has confidence in this product ??
Ive had a few Alfa’s and the warranty extension was less than 2 grand each time, but only up to 60,000 5 yrs.

Never claimed on them though.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 10:59   #5
NigelDay
Premier Member

We know from Arianne's epic thread (and experience) that other marques seem to offer a lot but the real world experience is often disappointing. Personally I would only ever look at the four German brands if I was looking for an alternative to a Volvo. Experience in the sector counts for a lot. The newcomers still have a lot to learn.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 17:52   #6
Whippy
Premier Member

To me, the only alternative to a Volvo is an Audi, gorgeous interiors, stylish looks and good motors. What's not to like?
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 17:57   #7
Waggatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
To me, the only alternative to a Volvo is an Audi, gorgeous interiors, stylish looks and good motors. What's not to like?
When I look out my office window I see dozens of black, grey, silver Audi’s looking like the clone army from “Star Wars”. 🤣
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Waggatron For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 19:25   #8
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
The dashboard, center console and infotainment look very flashy and gimmicky to me,
more so now I am used to the stylish sober look of the Volvo!
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 21:03   #9
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggatron View Post
When I look out my office window I see dozens of black, grey, silver Audi’s looking like the clone army from “Star Wars”. 🤣
That's why mine is red...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0023.JPG (134.4 KB, 31 views)
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isleaiw For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 00:01   #10
Converted

My brother had an Alfa. It broke down on his way to the airport.

He recommended and forced my parents to buy a Fiat. It broke down within a year on the motorway.

Would I touch an Italian car? Thanks but no thanks no matter what Top Gear or The Grand Tour guys say.
Converted is offline   Reply With Quote