Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Unexpected EPB release nearly crashed!

Views : 863

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2018, 09:53   #1
mr tickle

Default Unexpected EPB release nearly crashed!

V70 2009 AUTO.

I replaced the read pads and disks yesterday. Job was quite straightforward. used 12v battery to wind back the motors as I am still trying to get my VIDA to connect to the car

Went for a quick test drive, everything working as it should. Tried hand brake on my steep drive with seat belt off using accelerator and both rear wheels locked and dragged along so plenty of handbrake force being applied. So far so good.

This morning on my way to work I was stopped in queue of cars on a slight incline with EPB on and in drive it unexpectedly auto released and nearly ran into the car in front?

I tried it later a few times on various inclines and it it does appear to release without touching the accelerator at all if the slope exceeds a certain angle.

Any suggestions?
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!

Last edited by mr tickle; Sep 6th, 2018 at 09:57.
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 11:05   #2
Peter86
Pete

Maybe a one off computer glitch with not using software to do the pads. Cars are sensitive thing these days.

I know a lot of people say use a battery but I have been on the manufacturers website about the handbrake motors and they do not recommend using a battery to rewind it, maybe because of occasional problems like that happening.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 11:14   #3
mr tickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter86 View Post
Maybe a one off computer glitch with not using software to do the pads. Cars are sensitive thing these days.

I know a lot of people say use a battery but I have been on the manufacturers website about the handbrake motors and they do not recommend using a battery to rewind it, maybe because of occasional problems like that happening.
I was thinking along similar lines.
I'll see how it goes over the next few days, maybe it will adjust as the pads bed in properly and the motors wind in and out a few more times.

As soon as I get Vida operational, I'll go through the sequence of replacing pads so that the car thinks it's been done correctly.
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 12:21   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tickle View Post
V70 2009 AUTO.

I replaced the read pads and disks yesterday. Job was quite straightforward. used 12v battery to wind back the motors as I am still trying to get my VIDA to connect to the car

Went for a quick test drive, everything working as it should. Tried hand brake on my steep drive with seat belt off using accelerator and both rear wheels locked and dragged along so plenty of handbrake force being applied. So far so good.

This morning on my way to work I was stopped in queue of cars on a slight incline with EPB on and in drive it unexpectedly auto released and nearly ran into the car in front?

I tried it later a few times on various inclines and it it does appear to release without touching the accelerator at all if the slope exceeds a certain angle.

Any suggestions?
Yes it's happened to me too , it only takes a tiny touch of the throttle pedal to release it , hardly enough to raise the rpm will do it . You sit there holding your foot up off the pedal and your foot gradually goes down of course .
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 16:30   #5
mr tickle

Summary

Rear brakes and auto release system working perfectly.
I think as mentioned by someone previously, I may have lightly touched the accelerator without realising releasing it.

On the up side I have finally got my VIDA system to work and connect with the car

Next jobs:

remove DPF,clean & Replace

Change autobox oil
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 23:47   #6
ampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes it's happened to me too , it only takes a tiny touch of the throttle pedal to release it , hardly enough to raise the rpm will do it . You sit there holding your foot up off the pedal and your foot gradually goes down of course .
I thought you had to have your foot on the foot brake before the parking brake would release?
ampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2018, 00:46   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampy View Post
I thought you had to have your foot on the foot brake before the parking brake would release?
no
cant remember the older versions though
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 00:06   #8
ampy

I still have a manual hand brake on my everyday old V70. The electric hand brake on our XC60 doesn't like me. It senses when I am driving and has a mind of it's own. Thinking about it, we have a sloping drive and I revved it slightly on the slope the other day and the handbrake released which I assume is because I had the clutch pushed right down?
When I want it to release out on the road it sometimes point blank refuses. My wife never gets that problem though so it must be me!
ampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 13:32   #9
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampy View Post
When I want it to release out on the road it sometimes point blank refuses. My wife never gets that problem though so it must be me!
Not sure if it is the issue with you but the seatbelt needs to be plugged in before the EPB will release automatically on my xc70.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 15:33   #10
Waynedance

Agreed my S80 needs the seatbelt on.