Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Revs hang after hard acceleration

Views : 1377

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2018, 13:11   #1
Tony500
Master Member

Default Revs hang after hard acceleration

Does anyone else get this symptom after acceleration hard on a d5 185? Our car used to suffer a lot from this, until I replaced the swirl flaps but after a few months it happens again? Found myself in a tight spot after the plonker infront slams the brakes on and indicates right at the last min, I had to pull into the left lane and accelerate hard and the revs don’t go lower than 1500rpm if I stop or drive slow. I can pull to the side of the road and it will slowly return to normal but when I tap/press the gas it will return to high revs/idle. To solve the problem I have to turn the car off for around 2 mins with the car locked for it to reset. No faults on Vida either.... any clues?
Tony500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 22:15   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony500 View Post
Does anyone else get this symptom after acceleration hard on a d5 185? Our car used to suffer a lot from this, until I replaced the swirl flaps but after a few months it happens again? Found myself in a tight spot after the plonker infront slams the brakes on and indicates right at the last min, I had to pull into the left lane and accelerate hard and the revs don’t go lower than 1500rpm if I stop or drive slow. I can pull to the side of the road and it will slowly return to normal but when I tap/press the gas it will return to high revs/idle. To solve the problem I have to turn the car off for around 2 mins with the car locked for it to reset. No faults on Vida either.... any clues?
The auto gearbox has a sport mode which you activate by PLANTING the throttle to the floor - this gives you the usual sport mode i.e. more aggressive shifting and higher RPM shift points.

However.... I would expect the gearbox to revert to normal driving mode after say 5-7 seconds of no acceleration, it sounds like you are waiting much longer than this?

Tip: Try moving the gear lever over into geartronic, shifting up a gear and then drop back into auto mode. I'm not suggesting this is a fix, it would be interesting to see what it does?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 23:17   #3
gmonag
Premier Member

I hate guessing, but you say that there are no DTCs. I would suspect the throttle position sensor. See if you can graph the output.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 01:23   #4
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

sounds like oil in the vacuum pipes and the engine is consuming it as if it was diesel
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 01:43   #5
Tony500
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
The auto gearbox has a sport mode which you activate by PLANTING the throttle to the floor - this gives you the usual sport mode i.e. more aggressive shifting and higher RPM shift points.

However.... I would expect the gearbox to revert to normal driving mode after say 5-7 seconds of no acceleration, it sounds like you are waiting much longer than this?

Tip: Try moving the gear lever over into geartronic, shifting up a gear and then drop back into auto mode. I'm not suggesting this is a fix, it would be interesting to see what it does?
Hi thanks for the reply, I’ve tried that a few months ago before I done the swirl flaps. Still revs at 1500rpm and tries to pull forward when foot is on the brake.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 01:45   #6
Tony500
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
I hate guessing, but you say that there are no DTCs. I would suspect the throttle position sensor. See if you can graph the output.
Thanks for the reply, I will hook Vida back up once I get time off work ect... Tbh I should have checked this by now but I’ve not thought of that yet lol. On the to do list.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 01:47   #7
Tony500
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
sounds like oil in the vacuum pipes and the engine is consuming it as if it was diesel
Thanks for the reply. I’ve recently changed engine mounts and no oil in them, the tcv ect are all oil free too unless there is something else I’ve missed?
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 12:04   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
Good point - though I would suspect that if it is the TPS it's more likely to be a mechanical issues with it as it has dual, redundant circuits.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 00:14   #9
Tony500
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Good point - though I would suspect that if it is the TPS it's more likely to be a mechanical issues with it as it has dual, redundant circuits.
Should have time to have a look over the car tomorrow. Where abouts is the tps located on the 07 d5 185 xc90?

Thanks
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 12:00   #10
gmonag
Premier Member

It is more correctly called the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor and it's located at the accelerator pedal.

From VIDA:

The function of the accelerator pedal (AP) position sensor is to provide the engine control module (ECM) with information about the position of the accelerator pedal. This information is used by the control module to control engine torque.

The sensor consists of a plastic housing with two potentiometers, an AC/DC converter and circuits. The potentiometers are connected to a shaft which is affected by the position of the accelerator pedal (AP). The resistance in the potentiometers changes with the position of the accelerator pedal (AP).
The accelerator pedal (AP) position sensor transmits an analog and a digital signal (pulse width modulated (PWM) signal) to the control module. These signals indicate the position of the accelerator pedal (AP). The digital signal is generated by the sensors AC/DC converter.
The analog and digital signals are used at the same time by the control module to regulate the fuel volume.
The sensor is supplied with 12 V by the system relay via a fuse and is grounded to the body.

The digital signal is used in conjunction with the analog signal for accelerator pedal (AP) position sensor diagnostics. The accelerator pedal (AP) position sensor signals can be read using VIDA. A diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored if the engine control module (ECM) detects a difference between the analog and digital signals. The engine control module (ECM) then uses a minimal value to ensure the function (limp home).

The accelerator pedal (AP) position sensor is located on the accelerator pedal bracket.

Good luck.