Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adaptive cruise - aggressive braking?

Views : 1868

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2018, 11:11   #11
tabber

I find the braking can be a bit aggressive if you are in the slow lane coming up behind a lorry, it starts to brake miles before the lorry even though you plan to overtake it in another 100metres or so. As soon as you indicate, you feel the brakes immediately disengage. So I just indicate quite early for overtaking slow traffic, and it stops that effect. It was particularly noticeable in France where you are going 80-85mph, and the lorries seem to be doing about 50 :-)

You can also get the opposite effect, where the lane to overtake isn't clear, so you let the car do it braking thing, then spot a gap after you've slowed quite a bit. As soon as you indicate to overtake, the car buries the throttle now the obstruction is clear, and realises you are some way below the set speed. Can be a little disconcerting :-)

Overall, I love the Pilot Assist / TACC though. Really takes some of the fatigue out of very long drives.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 12:32   #12
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Thought as much.
A one second gap can be construed as ‘tailgating’. A tidy gap between cars is essential for safety in an emergency stop and to leave room for overtaking cars to get back in lane on A roads.
I thought I read that one bar was 1.6 seconds?

Anyway I dont know where you drive Quacker, but I use one bar almost all the time (except in adverse weather) and even on one bar I am constantly having people cut into my braking distance.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 14:50   #13
craigy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC888 View Post
Just got a 18 reg V90 loaner for a few weeks and noticed that the braking on adaptive cruise is smooth and almost intelligent as it adjusts braking force very naturally according to speed.
When I got back into my 17 reg today I start to notice how harsh adaptive braking on my S90 is.
I'm hoping it's not hardware but rather software that determines this? Loaner I've got is a Momentum spec.
I've currently got an 18 plate XC90 in place of my 17 plate V90 (both D5 R-Design models) and also noticed there is a marked difference, exactly as you've described!

I had a full software update on the V90 last month (I now have the orange --> red steering wheel warning on Pilot Assist), so can only assume it's a hardware upgrade?

Previously - MY17 V90 D5 R-Design
craigy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 15:51   #14
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I thought I read that one bar was 1.6 seconds?

Anyway I dont know where you drive Quacker, but I use one bar almost all the time (except in adverse weather) and even on one bar I am constantly having people cut into my braking distance.....
Generally only a tiny proportion of traffic overtakes me. Why care if someone overtakes you anyhow? I certainly don't care when someone overtakes me and a number pull in in front. As long as I leave them room to do so, it has absolutely zero effect on my journey.

Where do I drive? Very early tomorrow morning I'm away from right on the West Wales coast, middle of Cardigan Bay, to Dundee. Would have gone this morning but for weather warnings. Then back to North Berwick. Saturday will be from there to Manchester. Sunday, back home.
Does that answer your question?
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 17:35   #15
Bernard F

It’s all about give and take. If I need to change lanes I am always appreciative of a large gap to use safely and in return I always travel using ACC on three bars. I agree that it makes no difference to travel time, but a great difference to comfort and anxiety.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 19:15   #16
macklij
Member since 2007

Quote:
Thought as much.
A one second gap can be construed as ‘tailgating’. A tidy gap between cars is essential for safety in an emergency stop and to leave room for overtaking cars to get back in lane on A roads.
Sadly tidy gaps don't work well on the M25
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 19:25   #17
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macklij View Post
Sadly tidy gaps don't work well on the M25
Never had an issue when I've driven around it. Obviously a safe gap varies in length proportional to forward speed.
Biggest issue is drivers keeping far too close to my arse for safety when the road is busy. The easily visible camera pointing at them from the back window has an obvious effect on many drivers when they see it. That being the case, they must have known they were tailgating unacceptably close to start with.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 19:36   #18
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
The easily visible camera pointing at them from the back window has an obvious effect on many drivers when they see it. That being the case, they must have known they were tailgating unacceptably close to start with.
I have noticed this also and to make it more obvious I am going to get one of these as I have dark tinted windows.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Rear-...-/351769627812
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 19:41   #19
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I have noticed this also and to make it more obvious I am going to get one of these as I have dark tinted windows.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Rear-...-/351769627812
Brilliant, just ordered one as well. Thanks
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 20:36   #20
JC888

I've set distance to 2 bars and the braking is better although will need some time to have a proper test to account for traffic variations.

In the 18 reg V90 I've also set it to 1 bar which still maintains a reasonable distance but do feel the whole Pilot Assist and Adaptive Cruise experience to be much smoother.