Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon v8 conversion options..

Views : 28574

Replies : 90

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2010, 20:30   #21
B20F
Master Member

It is actually a Yamaha V8 and it came only with a sixspeed geartronic autobox and 315hp 440Nm@2100rpm. It's an aluminum casted engine fitted transversely. Ford didn't had a V8 on the shelf that was compact and light enough to fit the enginebay of the XC90 and went to Yamaha for help. 75% of V8 sales went to north amerika.
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 20:47   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

It is a volvo designed and specified engine built by Yamaha , no doubt due to its uniquenessin in the volvo engine family . Yamaha dont make a V8 do they? Would be great in a bike :-)
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 21:02   #23
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Found this: http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/press/pd...90PressKit.pdf

The Volvo 4.4l V8 is 754mm long x 635mm wide. Going by this: http://paceperformance.com/p-3990-en...imensions.html the LS engines are 730mm long x 628mm wide.

The LS engine can be matched to a Tremec 6 speed box and off the shelf ecu. Obviously all at a premium cost and uncertainty whether it could fit and fit well is why it is the engine I'd love to put in but I'll probably go for a worked T4 engine and M90 gearbox. Have two engine and two gearboxes in the shed with low mileage which cost a fraction of the LS set-up would and I know it will fit and produce good horsepower. Engine fitting is a long way off so plenty of time to mull things over and save my pennies. Heart says LS but my head says T4.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 22:22   #24
nonhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yamaha dont make a V8 do they? Would be great in a bike :-)
You'd be surprised at what all Yamaha makes. SHO Ford Taurus V8 was Yamaha design. Many Toyota engines have Yamaha stamped on there heads.
Yamaha make cylinder heads that fit a big block Chevy but never went into
a big production. I think the Toyota sports car 2000 from the late sixties body was designed by Yamaha IIRC.
There not just motorcycles, piano's and electronics.

Back to Amazon's, I'm still thinking about an engine swap. Ford small block would be a good idea. Also considering a Oldsmobile Quad 4.
nonhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 23:42   #25
amaz'in

Mildenhall?

Not far from me in Norwich...came through there this evening,in my Amazon on my way back to Norwich from London...around 7.30ish.

J
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 02:00   #26
DQ81

Haven't been on in a while, nor gotten any further with the Amazon.

At least we've all learned a lot about Yamaha (they make instruments too and electronics etc. etc.)

Getting back on topic, I'm going the route of a US v8 for several reasons:

Price

Simplicity

Aftermarket performance parts

Anything over 350bhp isn't going to be very streetable unless major modifications are made.

Combi's moving to the US with me eventually

It's still either the 1st generation SBC or a SBF. Both very versatile engines and have proven themselves. Once in you can do so much tweaking as time goes by from simple 2bbl carbs to TPI injection to forced induction by way of turbo or good old blowers, or even a stroker kit...

and since the Combi's arrival I've gotten a '62 Coupe too! (all I want Volvo wise now is a PV444 and I'm set)

The coupe I've decided at some point once some other projects are finished will be a v6 5spd (probably 24v Cosworth).

Here's a few pics of the Coupe, found it with 4 flat tires, a frozen clutch master cylinder and pinhole in the right front brake line so no brakes. Been sitting since 2004 but prior very well loved and it shows. Had it on the lift and other than the obvious welding to the sills it's rock solid. Drives well too now since I sorted the clutch and brakes. Took it for an MOT knowing it would fail (apk in the Netherlands) and it only needs the sills welding, right and the headlights sorting (don't turn on) Everything from the heater to the brakelights and signals all work. Brakes in great shape all round etc. etc.

It's a shame that front quarter hasn't got the same patina as the rest, it was resprayed after a small accident in 2002-ish...

This is the wagon looking in rougher shape than it is that's getting the v8:

DQ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DQ81 For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:24   #27
DQ81

Default just to keep things going

Picking up the donor for the '62 Coupe this week. It's a 1993 Ford Scorpio Cosworth. So it's getting the 24v v6! 198bhp. No cats and the BOB cams in this BOB engine should yield about 220hp, which is more then enough in the coupe.

Will start a seperate topic once the work really get's going.

Still going v8 in the Combi, leaning towards SBC, but SBF is compacter...

I have some other projects to finish up including a daily driver which obviously takes precedence at the moment as I'm borrowing my gf's car too often...
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:57   #28
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

You might want to take a look at the suspension kits I have coming out, there is a thread posted on here.. One great feature this kit offers, is the removal of the Steering box and Idler box, by replacing the with a Rack and Pinion. It also removes the control arm intrusion from the engine bay, so there arent any header clearance issues.

The other feature that will work out for you is, you are not limited in spring weight and rate capabilities.. If you can figure the weight diffence between your motor application and stock weight, our coil over suspension will compensate with the correct springs to give proper support and spring rate.

Thirdly, upgraded brakes with suspension ajustability and durability.

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:30   #29
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ81 View Post
Picking up the donor for the '62 Coupe this week. It's a 1993 Ford Scorpio Cosworth. So it's getting the 24v v6! 198bhp. No cats and the BOB cams in this BOB engine should yield about 220hp, which is more then enough in the coupe.

Will start a seperate topic once the work really get's going.

Still going v8 in the Combi, leaning towards SBC, but SBF is compacter...

I have some other projects to finish up including a daily driver which obviously takes precedence at the moment as I'm borrowing my gf's car too often...
Looking forward to seeing how you get on. Got any more pics?
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 17:02   #30
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1971 View Post
Looking forward to seeing how you get on. Got any more pics?
not as yet. haven't done much so far. just planning and buying the donor. It's going to be pretty simple. Main hassle is wiring as fabbing motor mounts and trans mount I'm leaving to a friend much more skilled than I! Decided to keep the autobox for now untill I can source a good Borg Warner T5 and I've chewed through the volvo diff (shouldn't take long )

Then convert to manual/Jag IRS rear.

I will document this properly for all to see, comment on, criticize, copy, enjoy, inspire etc.

The more I think about it the more I've concretely decided to have the Coupe be mostly stock, just a few tweaks, like removing the chrome along the rain guttering and widening the stock wheels with white-walls, other than stereo and a tach it will remain otherwise stock (and driveline of course). I want it to be a comfortable car usable on a daily basis and not lose it's early Amazon flavor.

The Combi however is going a more custom route. I'm pondering two door, def. going to tub it (so easy to access!) so I can fit a nice deeep 10" rear wheel, air etc. etc. That's going to be the monster. But for now it's only going on it's belly and carting me around tatty as hell on the 4 pot with lpg...nice and cheap! lol

Some more pics of the '62 as it stands now, which is exactly as it's been since 2004. All I've done is a clutch master cylinder refurb and slave adjustment, new brake line & replace the headlight switch. Obviously the outer sills need welding but that's IT. A respray is in order as well as door rubbers, trunk/hood rubbers etc. Had her up on a lift and everything is rock solid :

I see plenty of pics of Amazons on the web but this ol' Sweed sure does it for me stance wise, and I love the five-spoke Torque Thrust style wheels. That's what my Combi will get, they just look right. Though I want deeper dish in the rear, hence the mini-tubbing idea.

This is my buddy's '67 Coupe we just did, lots of welding, respray, drop springs which we compressed and heated, widend stock steels and he built a B20a for it, K cam, 2mm of the head, hardend valve seats, thinner B20b headgasket, Webber 38/38, 4-2-1 Simons exhaust (my coupe came with the Simons too, bonus!) and all new internals. Very high compression can't run regular pump gas, does well on LPG obviously. No overbore but compression is even in every cylinder. It needs tuning on a rolling road to get the last few ponies to come out and play but it pulls well. I'm just more partial to putting running gear in that's different and more powerfull before playing with it!

btw: anyone in the US wanting eurospec rear lenses I'm willing to trade.

Last edited by DQ81; May 24th, 2011 at 17:05.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DQ81 For This Useful Post:

Tags
v8 amazon