Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Inscription Pro gear shift paddles ?

Views : 1459

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2020, 12:56   #1
paul160

Default XC60 Inscription Pro gear shift paddles ?

I'm looking at buying a recent year XC60. I like the Inscription Pro but I do want to have gear shift paddles (I use them a lot on my current car).

Having asked around the paddles are not standard on the Inscription Pro (though they are on the R-Design Pro) and they cannot be retrofitted (in the UK at least).

I'm told that you can order them for the Inscription Pro at build but I haven't come across any on the second user ads. In order to get a steer on whether I'm looking for a needle in a haystack, I'd be interested to hear how many Inscription Pro owners on here have the paddles fitted to theirs.
Thanks in advance.
paul160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 15:19   #2
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Paul.
I had exactly the same problem as you ......... and still have it.........
There is no solution for the Inscription Pro, but to be frank I have not really noticed their omission as much as I was expecting.

My previous 3 Volvo’s were all D5’s with the 6 speed auto box when I would use the paddles for a quick bit of engine breaking, but with my current T5. Polestar & 8 speed auto box firstly this drivetrain does not really generate any engine braking and secondly the auto’s upshifts are pretty efficient anyway (for a 2 Tonne SUV) - so with hindsight as a pretty fast push on style of driver I have not missed the paddles.......!!
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 19:53   #3
Sphinx2000

I have these on my xc60, but never use them. You can always use dynamic mode if you want the extra oomph.
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 10:13   #4
Matt90

Had these on my previous BMW and like you, I used them a lot but the gearbox was a fair bit more responsive.

Had both R-design pro with the paddles and inscription pro without and do not miss them.

From model year 2021 onwards, the paddles have been removed from all trim levels as well!
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 15:10   #5
ExeEng

Paul,
May I point out that you can achieve the same manual gear shifts with the gear selector: push the selector to the left, pull back to shift down and push forward to shift up.

My own car, a Jaguar XE 20t, has paddles which I use frequently. The problem I have is that there's no indication of what gear I am in until I make a change. My wife's V60 T5 does not have paddles so I use the gear selector which I find very natural. The advantage here is that pushing the selector to the manual position shows the current gear on the dashboard before you shift manually.
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 11:30   #6
paul160

Thank you for the replies, that's very useful.
As you say, I suspect that after a while I won't miss them. I am looking to move from an SQ5 to a XC60 partly because I've got to an age where I shouldn't be using them anyway!
And if I'm not going to need them /miss them, then it unlocks the possibility, once I've saved up a bit more, to enjoy the massage seats and perhaps a lighter finish interior from an Inscription Pro model...
paul160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear paddles, inscription pro, r design pro, xc60