Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EGR valve

Views : 1314

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 13:48   #1
nkclair

Default EGR valve

Hi all, sorry if this more likely has been asked. I had an engine warning come up this week, I had the car checked yesterday and said it was the EGV Valve. The car is not in limp mode and drives fine. I took it for a good run down the motorway for an hour. still drives fine. Engine warning still on. Yesterday had the warning message wiped. was thinking give it another go on the motorway.
at the moment drives fine. I know its a common problem. has anyone asked Volvo to get this resolved or is a new one or what have people done. :-(
Volvo S60 D4 2015, 29000 miles. when I brought it off Volvo last year, there reckon all recalls were sorted.
Thank you
nkclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 14:03   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkclair View Post
Hi all, sorry if this more likely has been asked. I had an engine warning come up this week, I had the car checked yesterday and said it was the EGV Valve. The car is not in limp mode and drives fine. I took it for a good run down the motorway for an hour. still drives fine. Engine warning still on. Yesterday had the warning message wiped. was thinking give it another go on the motorway.
at the moment drives fine. I know its a common problem. has anyone asked Volvo to get this resolved or is a new one or what have people done. :-(
Volvo S60 D4 2015, 29000 miles. when I brought it off Volvo last year, there reckon all recalls were sorted.
Thank you
What was the error code? How did they decide it was the valve and not the more common issue of the cooler getting blocked?

There was never a recall for any EGR problem, even though it's been a big problem!

Get a hot drink, put your feet up and have a look at this... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 14:20   #3
Easington
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
What was the error code? How did they decide it was the valve and not the more common issue of the cooler getting blocked?

There was never a recall for any EGR problem, even though it's been a big problem!

Get a hot drink, put your feet up and have a look at this... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555
246 pages - you'll need a big cup!
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 15:03   #4
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easington View Post
246 pages - you'll need a big cup!
Yeah, it's a beast of a thread! But all the info that's needed to make anyone a VEA EGR expert is there...
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 15:37   #5
nkclair

Thank you.
I'll def have a read.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 21:25   #6
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkclair View Post
Thank you.
I'll def have a read.
We’ll check next week to make sure that you’re ok.

By the way, when in 2020 did you buy the car? It might be worth checking whether or not in 2021 there are any recalls outstanding that weren’t when you made your purchase.

The DVLA MOT history website can give you a yes/no answer and you should be able to get further detail off the Volvo website.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 14:46   #7
nkclair

i purchase my Volvo 2015 in End Of 2019.

the engine warning light was taken off, i gave it a two hours run on Friday just gone and so far finger cross all ok.

think I might go back to S80, not keen on the hard driving. To be regret buying a S60 R-Desgin.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 15:58   #8
nkclair

Spoke to Volvo Dealers, there reckon all recalls was done, EGR Value and coolant was mentioned. So am taking there word for it. I rather have something in black and white or check ourselves, but would be nice if we can check all those recalls completed on our cars like the recalls coming up. Have no faith in dealers.
I hoping it was just the car needed a good run, i guess more often a good run is needed. as not doing that much miles since lockdown.
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 20:58   #9
gillypop

The annoying thing with the recalls there is never any paperwork so you have no record of what has been done in terms of the person who actually owns it. I think this should not be allowed.
1998 V40 T4 Manual 120,000 miles (Previous)
1998 S40 2.0 Auto 187,000 miles (Previous)
gillypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 10:00   #10
nkclair

after a week, engine light back on. but drivers fine.
dam car. i was thinking selling it, wish I kept my old 2010 S80 which i never had a problem within 6 years owner it, think that was the Ford 2.0 engine.

i was thinking writing to Volvo HQ, it's only done 29000 on the clock.

Or buy a new one. what have others done.