Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 - no rear washer but pump is working?

Views : 412

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 09:58   #1
NewbieV70T5

Default V70 - no rear washer but pump is working?

Hi all,

I can hear the pump working no problems, and the wiper works, but no water?

I have checked the pipe in the OSR boot trim panel, and it was disconnected but there was no water, so I think the blockage is coming upstream?

I bought a new valve which was being advertised as the root cause for this; any idea where this goes aswell?

Thanks
NewbieV70T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 10:12   #2
Cookeh
Premier Member

Bear with me as I know this sounds obvious, but have you topped the washer fluid up? The pickup for the rear washer is situated higher up in the washer fluid bottle than the headlight/front screen wipers. The rear will run out of fluid a significant number of uses before the fronts.

The check valve is located under the right hand side boot floor in the 850s, not sure if this is the same in the V70s. Also check behind the speaker panel in the D-pillar trim, may also be located there. This does clog up over time with contaminants/algae so could well be the cause.

Another thing to check is all your lines - sometimes they split by the boot hinge, or get chaffed on their path through the boot floor.

Lastly, check the nozzle. They clog up fairly frequently, which is first noticeable by the jet becoming less powerful, until its basically a dribble.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 10:35   #3
NewbieV70T5

Thank you, very descriptive.

Good point about the fluid! I haven't even checked the level if I'm honest...

I'll check this afternoon.

And yes, the car was sat forever SORN'd and had a lot of algae on it; perhaps this is also within the rear washer system.

I'll hunt the valve down. I recently had all that trim out replacing the rear boot struts but didn't think to find the valve!
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 13:14   #4
NewbieV70T5

Just checked, and the reservoir is full of washer fluid....
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 16:16   #5
volvo again
Master Member

Check that the washer nozzle is not blocked, use a very fine pin etc.
The valve is located under the trim around the rear window, just behind the washer jet, you may be able to remove it without removing the tailgate lower panel, I did.
Also, make sure the washer pipe is not split where it runs by the tailgate hinge.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 22:57   #6
Gaztech

This might sound daft but on mine you have to press and hold it for quite a long time before you get fluid coming out. For years I thought mine didn't work until I held it on for around 4/5 seconds
Gaztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 15:15   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Gaz, this may be due to the check valve/non return valve having failed. It's duty is to keep the line filled up to near the very rear so it doesn't need to fill the whole line every time.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 21:28   #8
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaztech View Post
This might sound daft but on mine you have to press and hold it for quite a long time before you get fluid coming out. For years I thought mine didn't work until I held it on for around 4/5 seconds
Yes, mine does that, but as Derek says I think it's the non-return valve that is either missing or leaking back, so it has to fill the whole line every time I press the button. I really must get round to replacing it!

You're right though, this could also be the case on the OP's car, well worth running it for a while to see if it eventually leaps into action.
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 21:52   #9
Cookeh
Premier Member

Sorry to jump in, but mine also takes a few seconds to kick in. Is this valve the little cylinder under the not floor or is it elsewhere? Does anyone happen to have a link to the product? My Google skills are failing.

EDIT: Nevermind, found answers in this link. May also help you with the location of things, Newbie.

Click

Last edited by Cookeh; Jan 23rd, 2021 at 21:56.
Cookeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookeh For This Useful Post: