Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 D3 not starting - please help!

Views : 6430

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2014, 19:59   #1
Cozza
Cozza

Smile S60 D3 not starting - please help!

Hi folks,
My 2011 S60 D3, 33k on the clock and full history, decided to start playing up on Saturday by not starting. Other than taking 3 attempts to start on Friday (never done that before) it had been fine.
The AA guy had a look at it for about an hour, tried all of the fuses, plugged in diagnostics but found nothing. My car was then towed home.
I had a gut feeling that it might be related to fuel so changed the fuel filter. There was fuel sitting in the filter housing (now on the road - oops)! Unfortunately the car still won't start.
Last night I roped a couple of folk into helping me. We discovered that the fuel filter bowl was bone dry indicating that there's no fuel getting drawn from the tank. (The fuel gauge is showing about a quarter full).
So our thoughts are that the in-tank pump or control unit is goosed and we believe the tank has to be dropped to get at it - joy!
Does anybody have any experience of this or a wiring diagram for this area of the car?
All inputs/hints/tips/advice would be VERY gratefully received!
Cozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 21:01   #2
brokenbritain

Default D3

Sorry to say it but please just get the car professionally diagnosed, all modern diesels are very complex and very sensitive, it will almost certainly be most cost & time effective to get a volvo dealer to sort it, I am a motor technician with over 25 years experience and see this sort of thing all the time on modern cars
brokenbritain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brokenbritain For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2014, 21:14   #3
Cozza
Cozza

I'm sure you're right. Thanks!
Cozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 01:43   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Does it start with Easy Start?
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 01:44   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbritain View Post
Sorry to say it but please just get the car professionally diagnosed, all modern diesels are very complex and very sensitive, it will almost certainly be most cost & time effective to get a volvo dealer to sort it, I am a motor technician with over 25 years experience and see this sort of thing all the time on modern cars
Not much point in a forum if the answer is to take it to the dealer
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 09:15   #6
klunk

Sad, But these days with new cars as they are brokenbritain is correct, Everything now is computerised and pincoded allowing only dealers or people that have invested heavily in diagnostic gear to sort faults out. Ive 30 years experience in the motor trade as a technician/Collision estimator, Look how old my cars are! I can still maintain them, The forum is more beneficial to owners of older Volvo's.
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 14:32   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunk View Post
Sad, But these days with new cars as they are brokenbritain is correct, Everything now is computerised and pincoded allowing only dealers or people that have invested heavily in diagnostic gear to sort faults out. Ive 30 years experience in the motor trade as a technician/Collision estimator, Look how old my cars are! I can still maintain them, The forum is more beneficial to owners of older Volvo's.
I've no experience of the last 5 years, so is the situation for the home DIY-er really that bad?
So say my 12 year old S60 had the above starting trouble, I'd be able to try a squirt of Easy Start, or run a leak back test to see if an injector is dropping the rail pressure, or check the glow plugs with a multimeter or pop the fuel feed line to see if the pump is pumping etc.
Are these simple and cheap starting points no longer available to the owner of newer cars?
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 21:08   #8
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

I have recently drove a brand new v40 D3, whilst my s60 was in for cambelt change, thought I would have a look under the bonnet of this fine machine, to find one massive engine cover, no dip stick, no access to anything other than to add oil and water but you have no idea how much oil is in so how much does one add??

The answer is you take it to the dealer for its service when due and leave it the hell alone haha there getting so complex now I think they will soon be beyond the on the drive maintenance that we all enjoy.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 22:00   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

The Audi A2 had a little flap for oil and water. The bonnet didn't open, but lifted off instead when necessary!!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2014, 22:06   #10
jeffyjeff

i got the same problem with my 2001 s60ts just will not start and all i did was change a c.v joint, first volvo i have ever owned and i must sadly say i think it will be the last. bloody things are made to bin when they go wrong i think or bankrupted a small country trying to pay for the repairs
jeffyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote