Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Steering Fault - Stiff spot

Views : 2106

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2018, 11:23   #1
Myloverlyhorse

Default XC60 Steering Fault - Stiff spot

Hi,

I have owned my 2013 XC60 D5 for 3 years now and it has been main dealer serviced from new with no real faults.

Recently I have noticed a stiff spot in the steering occurring intermittently around the 12.30-13.30 position on the steering wheel (turning right obvs).

This happens at both low and high speeds and can be quite disconcerting when approaching a bend at 70mph.

some extra force input seems to pass the stiff spot and the steering then goes back to normal.

2 weeks ago I put it into the dealer and they agreed there is a fault with the steering.

This week (Thurs) it went in to get a new rack, on friday I called to chase them up and was told they put a new rack in, but the new rack appeared to be fault!!!!!

luckily they had another rack on hand, and said they would fit it on Saturday morning.

Sat morning came and went, when I called they said it would be Monday before the job would be finished.

Monday came too and when I called I have now been told that the new.... new... 2nd replacement rack appears to have a fault also.

The dealer has raised a technical querry with Volvo.

The Car has 49,000 miles and is 5 years old (not an old car by any stretch).

Just wondering if anyone has any idea - I am begining to think it might be the universal joints i in the column or an electrical/sensor issue - rather than the rack itself.

2 faulty replacement racks is highly unlikely. unless:

A - They are very poor quality
B - They are using used parts instead or new/refurbed.

I will update this with more details as it seems there is not much online about XC60 Power Steering faults.

Additional info

Volvo UK are stumping up 30% of the bill for the replacement rack.
Rack apparently costs £900 and is refurbished.
Total cost for replacement was approx £1400 now £900 with volvo contribution.
Myloverlyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 11:37   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myloverlyhorse View Post
Hi,

I have owned my 2013 XC60 D5 for 3 years now and it has been main dealer serviced from new with no real faults.

Recently I have noticed a stiff spot in the steering occurring intermittently around the 12.30-13.30 position on the steering wheel (turning right obvs).

This happens at both low and high speeds and can be quite disconcerting when approaching a bend at 70mph.

some extra force input seems to pass the stiff spot and the steering then goes back to normal.

2 weeks ago I put it into the dealer and they agreed there is a fault with the steering.

This week (Thurs) it went in to get a new rack, on friday I called to chase them up and was told they put a new rack in, but the new rack appeared to be fault!!!!!

luckily they had another rack on hand, and said they would fit it on Saturday morning.

Sat morning came and went, when I called they said it would be Monday before the job would be finished.

Monday came too and when I called I have now been told that the new.... new... 2nd replacement rack appears to have a fault also.

The dealer has raised a technical querry with Volvo.

The Car has 49,000 miles and is 5 years old (not an old car by any stretch).

Just wondering if anyone has any idea - I am begining to think it might be the universal joints i in the column or an electrical/sensor issue - rather than the rack itself.

2 faulty replacement racks is highly unlikely. unless:

A - They are very poor quality
B - They are using used parts instead or new/refurbed.

I will update this with more details as it seems there is not much online about XC60 Power Steering faults.

Additional info

Volvo UK are stumping up 30% of the bill for the replacement rack.
Rack apparently costs £900 and is refurbished.
Total cost for replacement was approx £1400 now £900 with volvo contribution.
I doubt the rack is faulty , they need to look at the steering column or it's lower universal joint the swivelling parts on the front … even the steering angle sensor may be faulty .. It is all in the diagnosis before changing parts ...
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 20:43   #3
Catsknock

Hi, I appreciate that this feed is a couple of years old but did you get a fix for this xc60 steering fault?
Catsknock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 23:45   #4
V8XCV

Indeed I would also be interested, I would suspect the lower universal joint is the culprit rather than the rack

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fault, rack, steering, stiff, xc60