Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2024722

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2020, 11:09   #2041
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
This is a test to see what the 'signature' feature does.

PS. It worked (added the little tank picture, which is what I wanted).
You beat me to it Alan - you can also add words in the signature as well. As for cutting and pasting, no need, just click on the [More] link in the Smilies box to the right and find your tank from there. If memory serves it's in the "Generic" drop-down of the other Smilies.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 11:17   #2042
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That fits my way of doing things (the Army way: lots of detailed planning with nothing much left to chance... and contingency plans for any unknowns).
That's sound engineering practice Alan, the contingency plans will generally be try things, if they work that's fine, if not you have a back-up plan that should work or you've gained extra knowledge that will get you to the right solution.

With a great deal of thought, much less is left to chance so usually it's a first time success but there's always that time things don't go according to plan.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 11:37   #2043
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The wheels have come up really nicely Alan!

Can i suggesst Option e as well?

Have the winter tyres fitted on the Virgo wheels then fit the tyres that came off the Virgos onto the Pholus. Fit the Pholus wheels onto the RB and put the Virgos with their winter shoes in storage until the temperatures drop.
At the moment it's still too warm for winter tyres and all you'll do is wear them out prematurely but it will give you a few weeks to decide if you prefer the Pholii (?) on the car instead of the Virgos then a swap for the winter wheels/tyres.
I see your point Dave, but I'd want to end up with the winter tyres on the Pholus wheels really - my thinking is that swapping to winter wheels/tyres each year would extend the life of the Virgo wheels - and they are the nicer (and more valuable) wheels.

I already have my (16" steel) winter wheels and tyres on the Skoda, I know it is a bit warm still, but it is already within the envelope for those Yokahama winter tyres. I think those tyres are probably on their last winter (5.5mm tread depth all round) so I don't mind if I wear them down a bit. As an aside, the fuel consumption on the Skoda with winter tyres has improved from 50 to 58 MPG, which is a nice unintended consequence (due to the narrower tyres of course, 205 rather than 225 on the 18" wheels). The 16" tyres are quieter than the 18" as well - due to the higher profile - which also makes then less prone to damage.

Last edited by Othen; Nov 21st, 2020 at 11:42. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 08:53   #2044
Othen
Premier Member

Default Pholus Wheels (continued)

The wheels are complete, so this morn I've mocked up how they might look on the RB, here is the front:

... and the back:

... in this one I've tried to show the how the whole car might look (I know the perspective isn't right - I'm no artist):

I think they would look pretty good on the RB - less sporty than the Virgos but bright and stylish, but I'm a bit biased (having done the work to renovate them). I'd much appreciate a second (or third) opinion.

Assuming no one convinces me that they will look ridiculous on the RB, my plan now is to put some winter tyres on in the next week or so and run the RB throughout rather than SORN it during the bad weather. The Virgo wheels are in good order (they have been power coated), but with them off the car I could give them a really good clean up and store them dry in the motorbike shed (chained up to the Skoda's summer wheels). With that level of use and care I think both the Virgo and Pholus wheels will last out the lives of both the RB and me.

PS. I've just checked the website for my friends at F1 autocentres and I'm happy to see the price of winter tyres has dropped a little (maybe most people who would have bought winter tyres have already done so, and therefore demand is less?). I can get a set fitted and balanced for only £184.71, which seems an excellent price to me. I think I'll get some fitted this week and swap the wheels when we get the first frost of the year :-)

Last edited by Othen; Nov 22nd, 2020 at 09:46. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 10:24   #2045
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Default Beauty

I think beauty is, as always, in the eye of the beholder, Alan. What appeals aesthetically to one may not to another, and vice versa.

What I will say is that, in period, they would have been considered a sensible upgrade and a tasteful way to 'modernise' the vehicle. Remember, we discussed much earlier on replacing grilles and headlights for much the same reasons, especially when combined with a personal or dateless plate.

If you like 'em, I would say go for it!

Regards, John.
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 10:28   #2046
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I think beauty is, as always, in the eye of the beholder, Alan. What appeals aesthetically to one may not to another, and vice versa.

What I will say is that, in period, they would have been considered a sensible upgrade and a tasteful way to 'modernise' the vehicle. Remember, we discussed much earlier on replacing grilles and headlights for much the same reasons, especially when combined with a personal or dateless plate.

If you like 'em, I would say go for it!

Regards, John.
Many thanks John,
To an extent the RB is is a blank canvas - it was quite an inexpensive historic car that has turned out well. I would not want to spoil it though, which is why I'm mulling it over (and have asked for opinions) - a bit too bling do you think?
Alan
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 10:40   #2047
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I think they suit the car really well Alan, will be interested in seeing them on the car properly with the winter boots.

Once the paint has hardened off, give them a good polish and then a good waxing, preferably before having the tyres fitted as that will make keeping them clean much easier over the winter. Likewise do the same for the Virgos when you swap them prior to storage.

Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 10:54   #2048
230ina245

My '93 240 came with those wheels when I bought it 7 years ago!
I've since acquired some Multi-X wheels and the Pholus wheels are also now on winter tyre duty!
Tim
230ina245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 230ina245 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 11:24   #2049
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I think they suit the car really well Alan, will be interested in seeing them on the car properly with the winter boots.

Once the paint has hardened off, give them a good polish and then a good waxing, preferably before having the tyres fitted as that will make keeping them clean much easier over the winter. Likewise do the same for the Virgos when you swap them prior to storage.
Thanks Dave. What sort of wax? Ordinary turtle wax for the car?

Alan
Old Nov 22nd, 2020, 11:25   #2050
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230ina245 View Post
My '93 240 came with those wheels when I bought it 7 years ago!
I've since acquired some Multi-X wheels and the Pholus wheels are also now on winter tyre duty!
Tim
Many thanks Tim,

That is reassuring, I think the Pholus wheels will be fine for winters - and save the smart Virgo wheels for summer motoring.

Alan