Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting issue, rough running

Views : 7796

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2020, 15:04   #11
harrympotter

Default ECM fueling test.

PFA attached screenshot

Are these legitimate? My understanding is they should be around zero plus/minus 3.

Can you alter? How ? Or is this the corrections above or below zero the ECM is adding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200820_200355.jpg (293.2 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by harrympotter; Aug 21st, 2020 at 15:06.
harrympotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 19:35   #12
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrympotter View Post
Are these legitimate? My understanding is they should be around zero plus/minus 3.
Are you reading and acting on the responses you're getting from other members?

As suggested by Reggit, your figures aren't unheard of and don't definitively explain your poor starting.

Quote:
Can you alter? How ? Or is this the corrections above or below zero the ECM is adding.
I've suggested trying alternative ECM coding settings to see if the correction changes.

Vida also explains the test plus many others including injector class changes which you can read at your leisure.
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 21:06   #13
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
VIDA Fault Trace, nothing really in ECM.
Just re-read your initial message, Are there any DTC’s evident at all?
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 21:35   #14
harrympotter

Default Response

The unreliable source was YouTube, a vid on how to run the injector test, said you may get spurious results for Euro 3 engines, it's only designed for euro 4 onwards.

Faults codes: just EGR low flow, which was a blanking plate/gasket which I have now removed, and cleaned the EGR.

I need to learn how to change the corrections settings, to an alternative, how many options are there? Need to read up. Where do in I start on VIDA?
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 10:36   #15
harrympotter

Default Programming optimizing parameters

Been away for the weekend, not in the d5.

Had a look at DTC delivery: ECM 4405 EGR Valve - flow too low. Characteristics: could be poor to start. How can I prove / function test the EGR? Live data on parameters says 1% EGR Actuator, blip the throttle goes up to 60% then back to 1% quickly.

Altering the ECM injector class.

Class 1 - Nō 1. 7.53 mm³
2. 11.33
3. 5.41
4. 0
5. 29.37

Class 2 7.16

Class 3. 7.14
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 14:19   #16
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Live data on parameters says 1% EGR Actuator, blip the throttle goes up to 60% then back to 1% quickly.
What does Vida say is a normal reading?
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 14:50   #17
harrympotter

Default Vida

The parameters show how much the Engine control module (ECM) needs to adjust the fuel amount in order to maintain the correct speed of each cylinder.

Value above 0 means that the Engine control module (ECM) increases the fuel amount, i.e. the injector gives a lesser amount of fuel than nominal.

Value below 0 means that the Engine control module (ECM) reduces the fuel amount, i.e., the injector gives a greater amount of fuel than nominal.

Check fuel correction on each cylinder.

The normal value is approx. 0 mm3 rpm.

If fuel correction is +3 mm3 or higher, or -3 mm3 or lower, on any cylinder, this indicates problems.

If any cylinder shows too high or too low fuel correction, it shall be compared with the result from check of combustion (2) to decide possible problem causes.
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 14:59   #18
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
The parameters show how much the Engine control module (ECM) needs to adjust the fuel amount in order to maintain the correct speed of each cylinder.

Value above 0 means that the Engine control module (ECM) increases the fuel amount, i.e. the injector gives a lesser amount of fuel than nominal.

Value below 0 means that the Engine control module (ECM) reduces the fuel amount, i.e., the injector gives a greater amount of fuel than nominal.

Check fuel correction on each cylinder.

The normal value is approx. 0 mm3 rpm.

If fuel correction is +3 mm3 or higher, or -3 mm3 or lower, on any cylinder, this indicates problems.

If any cylinder shows too high or too low fuel correction, it shall be compared with the result from check of combustion (2) to decide possible problem causes.
Yes I know that.

I was asking about the EGR figures as per the quote included in my question.
Old Aug 25th, 2020, 20:33   #19
harrympotter

Default Egr

Sorry didn't notice, or understand these quotes, not been on for years.

EGR CONTROL.
Measurement range: 0-100%
Shows actual deployment to the EGR valve.
Normal value when the engine is idling within 2 minutes is approx. 40% (EGR valve open).
Normal value when the engine is idling after 2 minutes is approx. 3% (EGR valve closed).

TEST.
Added EGR actuator to parameters, to watch, (15 secs of cranking) caughs into a rough idle. Reads 1% under two mins, reads 1% after two mins.

EGR closed @ 1% (Broken closed??) ECM 4405 - Flow too low. When I'd de-coked and cleaned the EGR the spring valve was free to open, easy to push open. But didnt test the actuator ! or the signal that feeds the actuator. Eleect plug is on/connected.

Surely this is an additional fault to the v poor starting and running,
Old Aug 26th, 2020, 13:29   #20
harrympotter

Default EGR Test

In communication, ECM, activations, You can trigger the EGR Actuator, it should "click" I have no click. Looking at the supply plug to EGR Actuator.