Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting issue still.

Views : 9213

Replies : 200

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2020, 01:52   #101
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
WOW, now that is some snow, not seen out that deep since the 80's over here
I was just thinking about the early 80s, 81/82 and 82/83, we had 15ft snow drifts where i lived then. Totally off the beaten track so no snow ploughs or gritters and the whole village was in a time warp while it remained.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2020, 03:01   #102
Bashy
Aged Member

Yeah, I was in a cut off village called Knossington, I was only 10/11 at the time
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 02:26   #103
Bashy
Aged Member

Went to start it yesterday morning, it was below -2C, it struggled to start, not only that but where before it felt like it was firing on only 4.5, it actually felt like it was only firing on 3.

Im wondering if there is a link with the above and all the glow plug boots falling to pieces?
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 11:55   #104
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Went to start it yesterday morning, it was below -2C, it struggled to start, not only that but where before it felt like it was firing on only 4.5, it actually felt like it was only firing on 3.

Im wondering if there is a link with the above and all the glow plug boots falling to pieces?
Unless i've totally missed something here, the glow plug boots are mainly cosmetic and to prevent metal things falling on them and causing problems when they are powered up.

I wonder what the main contacts are like in the glow plug relay? Could well be they are burned so if you can identify the glow plug relay, remove it, open it up and clean the contacts (an emery board is ideal, usually found in your wifes handbag for filing her nails or Boots/Superdrug/similar for a couple of quid) then refit it might solve some problems. If not, it's another thing off the list of possibilities!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 14:09   #105
Bashy
Aged Member

I am now wondering if the plugs I got are wrong or bad, cause it really is a pig till its warmed a little
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 16:10   #106
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I am now wondering if the plugs I got are wrong or bad, cause it really is a pig till its warmed a little
You remember that screenshot you got of VIDA showing the individual injectors and the engine rpm associated with each? What are the chances of getting another on a cold start?

I'm really beginning to think this is an injector problem with the two that were low on the previous VIDA screen, #3 and #5 and if they're not flowing enough when cold, won't be firing properly. The glow plugs are only used for starting so the disel doesn't need much more heat from compression to get it to fire.Once it's running and warm of course the heat from the engine preheats the diesel, intake temperatures are higher so the cylinder temperature gets that much higher under compression and so on.

Old Dec 9th, 2020, 16:24   #107
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Once it's running and warm of course the heat from the engine preheats the diesel, intake temperatures are higher so the cylinder temperature gets that much higher under compression and so on.
That's what made me think that the plugs are off somehow, or broke a lead, when I changed them things got much worse, plus I've only every touched injector 1 (far left), and there's been a noticeable change each time, it's on its second one) once the car has ran for a minute or 2 (when it was sub 2C) the misfire went away.

Just thinking out loud here, but if it was an injector would that not play up all the time?

My back has done one on me so I can't check or experiment at the moment. The mud in the ointment is that I changed 2 things, the plugs and injector 1 at the same time, should really only do the one so it can be eliminated, doesn't help that I won't know till the next morning :/
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 16:30   #108
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That's what made me think that the plugs are off somehow, or broke a lead, when I changed them things got much worse, plus I've only every touched injector 1 (far left), and there's been a noticeable change each time, it's on its second one) once the car has ran for a minute or 2 (when it was sub 2C) the misfire went away.

Just thinking out loud here, but if it was an injector would that not play up all the time?

My back has done one on me so I can't check or experiment at the moment. The mud in the ointment is that I changed 2 things, the plugs and injector 1 at the same time, should really only do the one so it can be eliminated, doesn't help that I won't know till the next morning :/
If those injectors aren't flowing right, the cold will show it up more. After the engine has heated up a bit, it won't need as much extra fuel to compensate for it being cold and can probably get all 5 pots running with fuel trims. Hence asking for another VIDA screenshot when cold.
If you have some Ezi-Start, once running you could give it a gentle squirt into the air intake, if the engine becomes smoother then it's almost certainly a fueling problem.

My back often does the same so i feel your pain (almost literally) on that one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2020, 16:42   #109
Willow place

Hello Bashy, sorry to hear you are bit Iffy again , if it is any help why not go down the Pre heat route, i.e the small heater fitted into the radiator hose and plugged into a mains socket, at least your engine would be warm at all times . Hope something works out ok, wrong time of the year for repairs !!
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willow place For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2020, 01:59   #110
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If those injectors aren't flowing right, the cold will show it up more. After the engine has heated up a bit, it won't need as much extra fuel to compensate for it being cold and can probably get all 5 pots running with fuel trims. Hence asking for another VIDA screenshot when cold.
If you have some Ezi-Start, once running you could give it a gentle squirt into the air intake, if the engine becomes smoother then it's almost certainly a fueling problem.

My back often does the same so i feel your pain (almost literally) on that one.
That's something else I do not have, I will order some, so basically, I spray it into that thing that's got a flap that's thermostatically controlled in the grill?
Suffered sine about summer 2010, blooming Carp fishing, trying to take a photo on your own before the timer runs out......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow place View Post
Hello Bashy, sorry to hear you are bit Iffy again , if it is any help why not go down the Pre heat route, i.e the small heater fitted into the radiator hose and plugged into a mains socket, at least your engine would be warm at all times . Hope something works out ok, wrong time of the year for repairs !!
Cheers Willo and I will look into that too thanks, sommat tells me it might be cheaper fixing the issue though
Oh, i see what you mean, found sommat like this not sure if it will get the engine as hot as it needs to be to fire the fuel up though

Last edited by Bashy; Dec 10th, 2020 at 02:06.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote