Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06> / C30 '07-'12 General

Notices

S40 / V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06> / C30 '07-'12 General Forum for the S40 / V50 '04> / C70 '06> /C30 '07> models.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HID conversions

Views : 1694

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 12:38   #11
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!
 
LizardOfBodom's Avatar
 

Last Online: Jul 31st, 2020 11:38
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dublin/Meath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theharomaster View Post
any car that has the projector headlights hid bulbs are a total must
bulbs are brighter, last longer so that's a win win
only go for a 5 or 6000k bulb though
and even the balast boxes fit inside headlight too!!
I wouldnt go as far as "every projector headlight..." as some older cars (i.e. pre FL V50) have frosted lenses on projectors that scatter light way to much to be deemed "friendly" for other road users with HID bulbs.
I had those, I tested it myself, I ended up immediately replacing projectors with clear lenses.
It wont make HID conversion legal (no self levelling or washers) but wont affect other road users as much.
4000K, 5000K, 6000K - thats mostly a personal feeling, scientifically - 4200/4300K light will have most lumens and will be brightest. Anything over or under will be LESS bright, but still my eyes feel better with 5000K bulbs than 4300K and sense of "lightness" is better.
Unless its a crazy value like 8/10000K with almost purple light output - it will be fine :}
__________________
2005 V50 T5AWD M66, Stage1 Hilton tune
E-focus torque mount, E46 bi-xenon retrofit v2 , (also available in PDF form), DTSC fully-off mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 13:15   #12
theharomaster
Junior Member
 

Last Online: May 26th, 2020 10:46
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: swindon
Default

easy to swap back for mot
theharomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 13:37   #13
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!
 
LizardOfBodom's Avatar
 

Last Online: Jul 31st, 2020 11:38
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dublin/Meath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theharomaster View Post
easy to swap back for mot
hence my old grey lamps still kept in the box, just plug&play once a year and done.
Volvo did that part really well, I have to give them that
__________________
2005 V50 T5AWD M66, Stage1 Hilton tune
E-focus torque mount, E46 bi-xenon retrofit v2 , (also available in PDF form), DTSC fully-off mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 10:32   #14
T5R92011
FcW Auto Service
 
T5R92011's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 02:20
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Gloucester
Default

I think its about time we all did some LED bulb tests....

HID still seem to be superior in terms of what is available from a single bulb, but given these cars have an 'always on' design, getting a good LED bulb that works well in our projectors seems like a good idea.
__________________
https://www.fcw-autoservice.com

Fleet:
Volvo V70 D5 SE (2004) | Volvo S40 T5 R-Design (2008)
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 14:26   #15
Alalalpupula
New Member
 

Last Online: Jan 30th, 2020 21:12
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Glasgow
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
I think its about time we all did some LED bulb tests....

HID still seem to be superior in terms of what is available from a single bulb, but given these cars have an 'always on' design, getting a good LED bulb that works well in our projectors seems like a good idea.
This, had a look on youtube etc and LED seems to be a step up on HID in terms of light output and longevity, the only concern I have is if its compatible with Volvo V50 as some installs flicker and need can bus adaptors.These ones seem to look good, can anyone concur?

https://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-philips-...-led-gen2.html
Alalalpupula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 15:35   #16
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 12:01
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alalalpupula View Post
This, had a look on youtube etc and LED seems to be a step up on HID in terms of light output and longevity, the only concern I have is if its compatible with Volvo V50 as some installs flicker and need can bus adaptors.These ones seem to look good, can anyone concur?

https://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7-philips-...-led-gen2.html
I have a pair of good V50 reflectors with LED H7 bulbs in and the beam pattern is correct and sharp and no bulb fail message when i tested them in a friend's V50 ......
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clan For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 17:40   #17
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!
 
LizardOfBodom's Avatar
 

Last Online: Jul 31st, 2020 11:38
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dublin/Meath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alalalpupula View Post
This, had a look on youtube etc and LED seems to be a step up on HID in terms of light output and longevity, ...
all thumbs up for proper testing, but I remain sceptical ref "light output" - single xenon burner can easily output over 3k lumens in 360degree form, LED chips probably could go higher but only as a cluster of LEDs, I wonder if any of "retrofit" applications can actually output better lumens than HIDs.
I may test the LEDs one day just for sake of experiment and I really wonder how GOOD LEd bulb (like those expensive Phillips from link) will work on the same clear lens projector as I use, better/worse or what...

[NERD MODE ON]
Only problem is - you will never get the same gains from retro-LEDs as you would with LED-designed headlamp. In our case, you can only provide much more bright light source into a halogen/xenon designed reflector and lens and hope it will work out. In some cases it does, in some it doesnt (seen a lot of failed LED applications as it is NOT only reflector+lens that create proper light output - actual light source matter aswell). But you never achieve results as seen on new cars. Jus for example, a comparison of pics I took last week (yes, I am the weirdo photographing light patterns, sue me...). I have a pretty good HID retro with bixenon projectors and powerful Xenarc burners, but light output is still hapmered by old technology (lens+reflector) and beam spread is laughable comparing to proper led headlamp.
pic 1- Audi A6 in front of Renault on the picture - see the amount of side-light provided by shaped LED beam on the right wall. My beam on the same wall is non-existent due to narrow beam pattern of retrofitted projectors.


pic2 - BMW 7 series, beam shape is pretty similar to mine as for amount of left-throw, but the difference light intensity of xenon+reflector&lens, versus direct-throw LED is, again - insane. Arrow points where my beam is overtaken by BMW's LED throw. Amazing.


bottom line is - LEDs are future and are already much better/efficient than xenons, but we are VERY limited as for retrofitting options and I am not sure if there are any gains over HIDs if used in our lamps, given price/problems/heat dissipation/uniformity issues. Happy to be proven wrong, but so far, for me, HIDS>LEDS on our headlamp design.
[NERD MODE OFF] :}
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (132.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (119.6 KB, 60 views)
__________________
2005 V50 T5AWD M66, Stage1 Hilton tune
E-focus torque mount, E46 bi-xenon retrofit v2 , (also available in PDF form), DTSC fully-off mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 21:41   #18
Clan
Experienced Member
 
Clan's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 12:01
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L/H side
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
all thumbs up for proper testing, but I remain sceptical ref "light output" - single xenon burner can easily output over 3k lumens in 360degree form, LED chips probably could go higher but only as a cluster of LEDs, I wonder if any of "retrofit" applications can actually output better lumens than HIDs.
I may test the LEDs one day just for sake of experiment and I really wonder how GOOD LEd bulb (like those expensive Phillips from link) will work on the same clear lens projector as I use, better/worse or what...

[NERD MODE ON]
Only problem is - you will never get the same gains from retro-LEDs as you would with LED-designed headlamp. In our case, you can only provide much more bright light source into a halogen/xenon designed reflector and lens and hope it will work out. In some cases it does, in some it doesnt (seen a lot of failed LED applications as it is NOT only reflector+lens that create proper light output - actual light source matter aswell). But you never achieve results as seen on new cars. Jus for example, a comparison of pics I took last week (yes, I am the weirdo photographing light patterns, sue me...). I have a pretty good HID retro with bixenon projectors and powerful Xenarc burners, but light output is still hapmered by old technology (lens+reflector) and beam spread is laughable comparing to proper led headlamp.
pic 1- Audi A6 in front of Renault on the picture - see the amount of side-light provided by shaped LED beam on the right wall. My beam on the same wall is non-existent due to narrow beam pattern of retrofitted projectors.


pic2 - BMW 7 series, beam shape is pretty similar to mine as for amount of left-throw, but the difference light intensity of xenon+reflector&lens, versus direct-throw LED is, again - insane. Arrow points where my beam is overtaken by BMW's LED throw. Amazing.

bottom line is - LEDs are future and are already much better/efficient than xenons, but we are VERY limited as for retrofitting options and I am not sure if there are any gains over HIDs if used in our lamps, given price/problems/heat dissipation/uniformity issues. Happy to be proven wrong, but so far, for me, HIDS>LEDS on our headlamp design.
[NERD MODE OFF] :}
I bought some decent LED bulbs and tried them in a V50 projector as an experiment ( I don't have a V50 ) , they gave a sharp beam cut off and No bulb fail message .... worth trying I would say ... PM for info .
__________________
My comments are only based on my opinions and vast experience .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 22:27   #19
T5R92011
FcW Auto Service
 
T5R92011's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 02:20
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Gloucester
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
all thumbs up for proper testing, but I remain sceptical ref "light output" - single xenon burner can easily output over 3k lumens in 360degree form, LED chips probably could go higher but only as a cluster of LEDs, I wonder if any of "retrofit" applications can actually output better lumens than HIDs.
I may test the LEDs one day just for sake of experiment and I really wonder how GOOD LEd bulb (like those expensive Phillips from link) will work on the same clear lens projector as I use, better/worse or what...

[NERD MODE ON]
Only problem is - you will never get the same gains from retro-LEDs as you would with LED-designed headlamp. In our case, you can only provide much more bright light source into a halogen/xenon designed reflector and lens and hope it will work out. In some cases it does, in some it doesnt (seen a lot of failed LED applications as it is NOT only reflector+lens that create proper light output - actual light source matter aswell). But you never achieve results as seen on new cars. Jus for example, a comparison of pics I took last week (yes, I am the weirdo photographing light patterns, sue me...). I have a pretty good HID retro with bixenon projectors and powerful Xenarc burners, but light output is still hapmered by old technology (lens+reflector) and beam spread is laughable comparing to proper led headlamp.
pic 1- Audi A6 in front of Renault on the picture - see the amount of side-light provided by shaped LED beam on the right wall. My beam on the same wall is non-existent due to narrow beam pattern of retrofitted projectors.


pic2 - BMW 7 series, beam shape is pretty similar to mine as for amount of left-throw, but the difference light intensity of xenon+reflector&lens, versus direct-throw LED is, again - insane. Arrow points where my beam is overtaken by BMW's LED throw. Amazing.


bottom line is - LEDs are future and are already much better/efficient than xenons, but we are VERY limited as for retrofitting options and I am not sure if there are any gains over HIDs if used in our lamps, given price/problems/heat dissipation/uniformity issues. Happy to be proven wrong, but so far, for me, HIDS>LEDS on our headlamp design.
[NERD MODE OFF] :}
Sounds like you just volunteered to do the experiement Lizard!

My problem with LED lighting is their colour.... blue is BAD for your eyes.. the eyes adjust slower and it is harder to focus.

The reason these cars all have blue LEDS is because that is the cheapest, brightest output available to produce. If you want soft warm yellow, it requires a coating over the original blue.
I want warm white LED headlamps (4300k) but they simply arent available. Though I hold high hopes as we can buy LED bayontte cap bulbs for indoors that are putting out better light than filament bulb equivalent.

There is definitely a reason why all of our smart phones and smart TVs are now coming with anti-blue "sleeping" modes that change the colour of the screen to yellow...they know that blue tint is bad for our health and they have to offer something to alieviate that... I'm surprised Volvo havent been all over that aspect, given their reputation in Safety.

Then, having said that, look at the crappy headlights they gave us in the P1 cars.
__________________
https://www.fcw-autoservice.com

Fleet:
Volvo V70 D5 SE (2004) | Volvo S40 T5 R-Design (2008)

Last edited by T5R92011; Dec 9th, 2019 at 22:30.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 13:10   #20
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!
 
LizardOfBodom's Avatar
 

Last Online: Jul 31st, 2020 11:38
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dublin/Meath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Sounds like you just volunteered to do the experiement Lizard!

My problem with LED lighting is their colour.... blue is BAD for your eyes.. the eyes adjust slower and it is harder to focus.
.........
Then, having said that, look at the crappy headlights they gave us in the P1 cars.
Hehe, no doubt I will one day try it out, but rather not gonna spend money on it as I suspect it wont stay. I will eventually come across a one bulb off a broken set or something to try out on bench and will for sure post up results.

agreed with colour issue, also refraction caused by lenses (especially on french cars) make the output VIOLET is just ridiculous. Also every manufacturer seem to choose their Kelvin rating at their own will and not much can be done to change it. Was driving in front of this 2019 V60 and its dual-LED headlamps, while providing a nice spread and pattern, are stupidly blue, like 6500K as per my eye, terrible light colour! Best so far seem to be Audis/BMWs that have output close to pure white 5000K. This I would be OK with.

Clan - maybe share the link here, if worth recommending? - atleast proven and tested so better for others to get those rather than uncertain chinese cr*p
__________________
2005 V50 T5AWD M66, Stage1 Hilton tune
E-focus torque mount, E46 bi-xenon retrofit v2 , (also available in PDF form), DTSC fully-off mod, Brembo discs+ATE ceramic pads
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:28.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.