Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS control unit repair

Views : 148316

Replies : 256

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2009, 09:21   #111
NorfolknGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
What have you to lose by trying?
When I fit my 2nd hand unit and if it works ok I will cut the old one apart and investigate it.
NorfolknGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 20:32   #112
Grendel

Well I have just found this post and will definately be giving it a try as I have all of the classic symptoms, this post may have saved me from speding £100 on ebay to get a replacemet unit or more for a new one. I'll let you know how it goes.
Grendel
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 20:57   #113
Grendel

well that was strange, I did the repair, then the lights still stayed on, until today, when I changed the seat position back to reclined and then back up, at the same time the wife was trying to shut the door and managed to trip the central locking, all just as I started the car, and miraculously the lights went out - fingers crossed they stay out now.
Grendel
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 20:30   #114
Grendel

aargh- lights came back this morning, got the mitchell wiring diagram and metered the sensors at the plug - rear left open circuit, did some checking later and got open circuit at the plug at the back, so its either sensor or wiring, maybe I will pull the whole lot and check the wiring, I know where there are a couple of older 850's with ABS at a breakers, maybe I will be able to get the sensors from there. I cant find any rear sensors anywhere in the uk online.
Grendel
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 08:24   #115
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Note the rear sensors are in a pair, they are not available separately.

You will find the wiring loom (to both rear sensors) has a connector under the luggage compartment floor where it joins the main loom , it may be worth a look there.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 01:18   #116
jdvickery

I'm still working on mine, S40 01, I found an almost new complete unit at a junk yard and I am thinking about doing the job of replacement module/pump myself. Question, when I disconect the brake lines do I need to have a "power flush" done to bleed the lines? Or can I bleed them using gravity flow?
jdvickery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 08:24   #117
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

You will need to power flush them, however you don't need to change the hydraulic portion if the problem is with the ECU, this can be replaced separately.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 14:16   #118
JonYorks

I've had the tracs and abs intermittant lights thing for a little while so decided to try this fix, and touch wood so far its worked!
I didn't have a female torx socket but found that a normal 4mm socket worked fine on mine.

I did download this photo showing which are the common problem solders to re-do

Also while looking at the board I noticed another dodgy solder not mentioned. Its on the two square black things on one corner of board (one has writing on it).

I lighty touched one of prongs with screwdriver and it came away from the pcb far too easily. So I resoldered all 4 of these joints also.
JonYorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 17:14   #119
wackojacko

Hi,

Just registered as a Member, and did this fix...

Car was showing intermittent odometer, No ABS and No STC. Found loads of dry joints, put it back in and is now good as new.

Thankyou for a very helpful guide.
wackojacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 18:48   #120
Rovolver

I did the resoldering on mine last week..
Inside everything seemed to be ok..I resoldered the joints anyway..just in case.
My ABS and Tracs Off lights are still on.
I did check the sensors before with a mutimeter and the numbers were correct.

Any other idea on what else to check?
Does anyone know how to check the ABS pump?
Cheers
Rovolver is offline   Reply With Quote