Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc90 sudden loss of power steering after flush

Views : 521

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2020, 00:19   #1
AL5XC90

Default Xc90 sudden loss of power steering after flush

Hi all
I think I've done something to cause an idiot issue on my power steering while performing a turkey baster flush. Hoping its something simple.

So, used turkey baster to syphon out to a bottle. I believe I put the same amount of fluid back in (fresh CHF11S). Took the car for a spin for 15-20 mins. Steering improved a bit.
Repeated the flush process. On starting the car there was a strange sound. Maybe a pop. caught me off guard so only half noticed it. The engine seems to cough and not start.
The car started second time no problem, but now I have no power steering, at any speed, any revs.
The serpentine belt is in place, the power steering pump wheel is spinning, the reservoir has fluid in. However even on full lock there is no pulsing feeling/feedback.

I'm guessing I've blown a seal or hose somewhere but not sure why the reservoir isn't empty or emptying?
Or have I blown the pump somehow?
Or something electrical?
D5 54'plate XC90.

No messages, no warning lights. Car drivable, if you have arms like He-man.

Been out tracing the pipes looking for popped hoses/leaks. There is fluid around the steering oil cooler in front of the radiator, but surely that wouldn't cause a complete loss of power steering, would it? The leak doesn't seem bad enough to lower the level in the reservoir, though there does seem to be a fair amount around the engine near the hose join to the cooler. Bottom joint to cooler.

Help!?
Thanks
Mike
AL5XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 06:44   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Hi Mike , I read your post and seemed to remember something about a small brass pipe inside the reservoir that can become disconnected and cause issues.

These resevoirs are common across many cars in the range.

I've found these two posts off the internet which describe what I'm on about and it would be worth your while checking.

I cannot see that you could have caused any terminal damage doing what you did but my bet is on an issue in the reservoir.

PS, no need to drive the vehicle when changing the fluid.

Have the engine running and once filled with fresh fluid turn steering from lock to lock several times to expunge air back to reservoir.

Read these posts and see if it helps.

I just fixed my 2001 V70 T5 power steering fluid reservoir in the same way.

There is a rubber steering fluid return pipe which connects onto a plastic tube at the top of the reservoir tank. Within that plastic tube there is a brass pipe/tube which protrudes into the tank. Within the tank there is a plastic elbow tube that is supposed to fit over the brass pipe inside the tank and direct the returned fluid away from the rubber fluid outlet pipe at the base of the reservoir. In my tank, this plastic elbow tube was disconnected and rattling around in the tank, serving no purpose. Without it the fluid returns too close to the outlet and gets foamy; you get air in the fluid and then the steering moans and groans.

The reason why the elbow pipe was rattling about was because the brass pipe, for some reason, had worked itself further out of the tank (towards the fire wall) than it should be. It is the brass pipe that holds the elbow pipe inside tank in the correct position. So, I held the rattling elbow pipe in place (fished it out with a screwdriver) over the stump of the brass pipe inside the tank and pushed the brass pipe (from outside the tank) fully back inside the elbow pipe. Hey presto, the elbow pipe is secure, the fluid is directed through it and away from the fluid outlet, there is no foam and so the steering does not moan and all is well again. It will probably work itself loose again over time, but its a 2 minute job to fix it.

You can do this job with reservoir tank full and in place in the car. However, you will have to remove the top fluid return pipe, which probably has a factory clip on it. I had to destroy the clip to get it off but I replaced it with a plain jubilee clip. No oil came out of the pipe when I disconnected it so long as I didn't let it dangle down.

I had this problem for about 3 years. Took it to a garage who kindly replaced the steering pump at great cost which, of course, did not fix it. Had I read this forum earlier I could have saved myself years of grief and lot of money! Thanks to all.

I just had the same reservoir-tube issue.
I basted the fluid out and fished out the tube with a screw driver and my fingers. I had to remove the upper (return) line to push the brass piece back in, there is nothing to stop it from sliding out. I thought the plastic piece that came off was broken, but actually it is cut at an angle. I continued the baster-flush for about two more quarts and everything sounds/feels terrific.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 11:25   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

That leak from the cooler needs sorting properly as well before going any further.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote