Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 2004 Turbo Issues!

Views : 2450

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2016, 14:55   #1
sparky543uk2000

Default V70 D5 2004 Turbo Issues!

Hi,

I have lost all boost from my turbo over the last week. It went from feeling the boost kick in and then getting the 'engine service required' message at around 3,500 rpm and limp home mode.

I have searched and read a lot of boost problems and fixes on here and other sites. A lot of them point to the Governor and some have said to clean it by spraying with carb cleaner. I removed mine and cleaned it as a first to see if that was the issue. I put it all back together and now I have lost everything. I have no power surge as the turbo kicks in. I don't even think the turbo is running and it feels like it is in limp home mode all the time but with no message on the dash until I hit around 3,500 rpm as before.

I followed a post on here about changing the governor with a VW part with I ordered on line and as it was an Audi part, it had the right plug so didn't have to cut any wiring plugs etc. I changed it today, started her up, first rev up and the turbo vents, I had lost that. took it for a drive. Feels a little smoother but still no turbo pick up and again, 'engine service required' and limp home mode at around 4,000 rpm. Get home and turbo won't vent again.

I'm stuck at what to try now. Do I replace the governor again? Or has it moved the fault up or down the line? The front engine mount looks ok and I have tried blocking it off to see if it makes a difference but it doesn't.

I have seen people mention engine pads but I have no clue what they are. I haven't been able to see a diagram of where things go. and when I think I have found one, the link is missing.

Any help would be appreciated.
sparky543uk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 15:26   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

You can test your mounts using this method https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=30QDz4xnJms although I don't think leaking mounts will cause such extreme symptoms as yours.

My guess is your boost solenoid was stuck and the turbo vanes have become clogged from lack of movement.

Now you have a new solenoid fitted, try the 4th gear 40mph flooring it trick several times to give the turbo maximum vacuum actuation and boost.
If it works, the black smoke will be biblical.

For anyone looking to deep clean their boost solenoid, there's a video here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dkPuEmwP4oQ
Well worth doing if you've got 150k+ miles.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 15:34   #3
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Might be worth getting the codes read as there are many causes of limp mode including leaky intercooler.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 16:50   #4
sparky543uk2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
You can test your mounts using this method https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=30QDz4xnJms although I don't think leaking mounts will cause such extreme symptoms as yours.

My guess is your boost solenoid was stuck and the turbo vanes have become clogged from lack of movement.

Now you have a new solenoid fitted, try the 4th gear 40mph flooring it trick several times to give the turbo maximum vacuum actuation and boost.
If it works, the black smoke will be biblical.

For anyone looking to deep clean their boost solenoid, there's a video here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dkPuEmwP4oQ
Well worth doing if you've got 150k+ miles.
I will need to get a vacuum pump to test the mounts properly but may just remove the pipes and block them temp to see if that makes a difference.

I followed the cleaning video for the governor that he did with brake cleaner which didn't work for me. I did strip mine after changing it to see if there was any visible faults with it but I couldn't see any.

I think it will be block off engine mounts and try accelerating from 40 mph in 4th gear.

I have plugged in a code reader and I get 6805 or on a generic reader p0244. I thought it might be the IC as I have oil in that area but I also have an oil leak in the same area from my power steering. Need to find a way to get it tested without removing it.

Ok it's only a 163hp but I miss it's power boost.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 19:45   #5
jnmonaghan

Have you checked the condition of rubber air intake hose down at the turbo,checking for tears or breaks?

Jude
jnmonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 21:40   #6
sparky543uk2000

I blocked off the engine mounts and have taken it for a long drive. At idle, I can hear the turbo spooling but still no blow off. I did the 40mph in 4th and to my disappointment, no black smoke from the back. Slight improvement in power I would say but fuel consumption has risen. 40mpg before replacing governor to 34mpg tonight! These are average from the display.

On a plus side, I think my engine mounts are ok as the engine feels very juddery at idle and very hard when the engine is switched off.

If it's not too cold tomorrow, I'll get under the car and have a look at the turbo pipes and the IC.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 22:13   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

I had a P0244 wastegate code a couple of years ago.
The only live data anomaly was no MAF response but MAF wiring and intake pipework all checked out fine.
Problem was solved with a genuine Bosch/Volvo MAF for £15 from a breaker.
If your MAF isn't showing between 10-90g/s through the revs when stationary, that could be your answer.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 16:09   #8
sparky543uk2000

Well, I've been under the car today. The pipes feel ok other than the one from the turbo to the IC as it feels very soft. The suction from the inlet to the IC is very strong but I feel the air at idle from the IC very weak. I blocked the pipe from the IC to the inlet and revved her up and it struggled to push a cloth out of the pipe. I feel that the IC is faulty. I cleaned up the oil and taken some pictures but I have no idea how to attach them here.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 16:20   #9
cheshired5
Premier Member

What were your MAF readings?
Also, a blowing IC will mean your MAP figures will be low and/or erratic.
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 17:11   #10
sparky543uk2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
What were your MAF readings?
Also, a blowing IC will mean your MAP figures will be low and/or erratic.
Sorry that was also what I was supposed to ask. How do I read the figures from the map?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1409.jpg (179.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1406.jpg (246.6 KB, 28 views)