Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Injection to Carb

Views : 1889

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2020, 23:34   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

Now you have carbs you might as well fit a standard mechanical fuel pump, on the block. You also no longer need the return line to the tank but I expect you have sorted that now.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 08:47   #12
sleek lemur

I've changed to mechanical on my not-1800 not-E. All works well, but if I don't use the car for a month or so, I do have to churn it on the starter for 5-10 secs. I wonder if I had an electric pump it would avoid that.

Pic of my engine bay attached. Note the messy tangle of wiring behind the heater. POWEN has shamed me into getting rid of that this weekend.

Bay.jpg
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 14:09   #13
powen1

Sorry Volvo6 don't have the manifold or fuel rail any more , keep an eye on Ebay looks like someone is gradually breaking a P1800, Cheers
powen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powen1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 14:21   #14
powen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Now you have carbs you might as well fit a standard mechanical fuel pump, on the block. You also no longer need the return line to the tank but I expect you have sorted that now.
Interesting you say that Derek, I still have the electric pump connected - manual pump on engine blanked off, I also have two fuel lines to going to the back and then tee'd at engine after pressure valve , as was the car when I bought it ,
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 14:26   #15
powen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Interesting you say that Derek, I still have the electric pump connected - manual pump on engine blanked off, I also have two fuel lines to going to the back and then tee'd at engine after pressure valve , as was the car when I bought it ,
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 14:27   #16
powen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek lemur View Post
I've changed to mechanical on my not-1800 not-E. All works well, but if I don't use the car for a month or so, I do have to churn it on the starter for 5-10 secs. I wonder if I had an electric pump it would avoid that.

Pic of my engine bay attached. Note the messy tangle of wiring behind the heater. POWEN has shamed me into getting rid of that this weekend.

Attachment 131907
very nice - I like to webber carbs and notice you have a electric fan - love the air pipe trying to get cold air to carbs I suspect ?
Paul
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 17:21   #17
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powen1 View Post
'the electric pump connected' as in the original Bosch D jet pump or are you referring to your Durite 0-296-12 pump? If you are referring to the Durite pump that is OK since that is a low pressure diaphragm pump (just like the mechanical fuel pump). I think it is rated at around .15 Bar outlet pressure so you definitely do not need the old D jet fuel pressure regulator.

If you are still using the original D jet pump I would get rid of it. If you manage to turn down the fuel pressure regulator to get a sufficiently low pressure for the carbs you would be by-passing huge amounts of fuel back to the tank wasting power and potentially frothing the fuel.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 17:39   #18
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek lemur View Post

Attachment 131907
Normally the fuel in the float bowls would suffice for start up of the engine. Your Weber carbs must have very large vents to atmosphere which is allowing the fuel to evaporate during extended non use. Does you car sometimes have that l'eau de petrol fragrance after being stored for a while.

A low pressure electric pump that is switched on in the run position for a couple of seconds prior to engaging the starter would likely eliminate your cranking problem. Or, the low tech solution is you could just drive the car more frequently .
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2020, 19:55   #19
powen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
'the electric pump connected' as in the original Bosch D jet pump or are you referring to your Durite 0-296-12 pump? If you are referring to the Durite pump that is OK since that is a low pressure diaphragm pump (just like the mechanical fuel pump). I think it is rated at around .15 Bar outlet pressure so you definitely do not need the old D jet fuel pressure regulator.

If you are still using the original D jet pump I would get rid of it. If you manage to turn down the fuel pressure regulator to get a sufficiently low pressure for the carbs you would be by-passing huge amounts of fuel back to the tank wasting power and potentially frothing the fuel.
Yep Durite electric pump , (don't have the manual one on the side of the engine) so sounds like the set up is ok
I do have the old D jet fuel pressure regulator that is screwed right down so unless I'm replacing the pipe work I'll leave it for now , Thanks for the advice Paul
Old Nov 28th, 2020, 20:10   #20
sleek lemur

Quote:
Originally Posted by powen1 View Post
very nice - I like to webber carbs and notice you have a electric fan - love the air pipe trying to get cold air to carbs I suspect ?
Paul
Yes, I had the classic voltage stabilizer issue which causes water temp and fuel guage to over read. Using a laser thermometer showed that all was good with the
cooling, but when I updated the engine and changed to Webers, I changed to electric fan, which uses less HP to run. Glad you noticed my artistic trunking to the carbs! Revotec, who do the electric fan kit do some great scoops, one of which I have mounted in front of and the the right of the rad, with the trunking thru the hole where the old FI air input went I did consider a K&N airbox, but I don't think there's quite enough room Vs the inner wing. I need to neaten up the air exit a bit! Have also wrapped manifold in hi-tec insulation (not in a way that is likely to promote rust, he added quickly...).

Oh, and 142, I do get out plenty! Drove to Velencia for the MotoGP last year... But November is sugar beet harvest in mid Suffolk and the roads are very VERY muddy. Everyone's car looks like a cow pat. 🚜💩

Last edited by sleek lemur; Nov 28th, 2020 at 20:29.
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleek lemur For This Useful Post: