Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 T8 MY19 Design Pro a week now

Views : 2400

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 26th, 2018, 10:25   #1
MaDProFF
Master Member

Default XC60 T8 MY19 Design Pro a week now

I have had my T8 for a week now, with around 600 miles on the clock.
The Whole Volvo experience so far has been excellent, from order, to dealer who were excellent, to pick up and driving home.

From my usual collection of cars it is certainly very different, always loved hot Hatches, small, and fast, Last car AMG GLA 45.

I will make a list to make things easier:-

The Technology in this car is a huge list that seems it will take for ever to learn, so things so far that I may not be so happy about there is still time to find ways around it, there really as huge learning process from working things out to even driving the car.

There is nothing I am really disappointed about so far.

The possibility of great fuel consumption, on such a big fast car is amazing, so far have returned 150 mpg on journeys to 38 mpg on 120 round trip mile journeys, and this is at quite a decent pace over the journey, even the 160 mile leg home from picking the car up and only 50% battery still got 35 mpg with heavy motorway traffic etc. in places

Head lights are amazing, it is like watching night time world war 2 search lights in the air, miss corning lights though a little, but still not a problem, yet to use car in the heavy fog and mist as that is the real test of auto lights. the high beam auto far superior than the MB high beam assist.

The Car is scary quiet, even with the engine running, it is only when you start to hoof it you notice the engine.

Ride for general driving is very good (Air Suspension) and our roads are crap around my area.

It is a big car, but as it is boxy very easy to drive, and park, visibility is good too. The 360º camera not so sure about yet, it is good, but it does not cover much distance around the car, especially behind the car, so you have to be careful when reversing to make sure you do not suddenly come up very quickly to hitting something behind.

Braking system, with regenerative breaking and slowing down battery charging, is great, it is like a game with that needle and judging distance to slow down with out using the real brakes, smooth, and suits my style of driving, I had read about the brakes and some peoples thoughts, for me there is no issues at all, smooth transition when driving with some forward thinking.

Hybrid / Battery only is also great seems seamless between the two, to the point I am not even sure the engine is running on general driving, I do like the screen of the car drive train showing where the power is going.

Things that could be improved:-

Body Roll, it is there and will take getting used to, but to be fair to the car I am coming from an AMG with no roll at all, the T8 is a big heavy car, but I think with Air suspension it could be improved, (I am hoping Polestar will help a little when added). You can feel the weight of the car especially when you have to brake it pushes on very quickly to the point you have to brake harder than you anticipated when you get it wrong, but that said the brakes are very good and will stop the car.

The interference of the Lane safety feature, it is a little intrusive, had to turn off the actual steering part, but it is often vibrating the steering wheel, I just think it is over sensitive, and rough roads, poor road markings, and narrow line markings, even on A roads, it can vibrate.

Was little disappointed that when I used sat nav it did not know the address after the estate had been built for 3 years, although Volvo not the only sat nav that did not know, (MB Did) (I know there is an update now, will be interesting to see if it is on the map now)

As I said there seems to be many ways around issues that I am finding it hard to find with the car, and manual, The System on the Screen can be a little long winded, and wish there was an option to add more items on the main home screen so it was there to press on one touch, like 360º view (maybe there is a way)

I wish charging point was in a different position, just my issue

But so far a great car looking forward to the Polestar map when it is released for MY19

I would like to also thank some of you guys who do know more about the car than I do so far, a few answers posted helps as I do not seem to find items well in the manual etc.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 16:21   #2
Rodneyjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I have had my T8 for a week now, with around 600 miles on the clock.
The Whole Volvo experience so far has been excellent, from order, to dealer who were excellent, to pick up and driving home.

From my usual collection of cars it is certainly very different, always loved hot Hatches, small, and fast, Last car AMG GLA 45.

I will make a list to make things easier:-

The Technology in this car is a huge list that seems it will take for ever to learn, so things so far that I may not be so happy about there is still time to find ways around it, there really as huge learning process from working things out to even driving the car.

There is nothing I am really disappointed about so far.

The possibility of great fuel consumption, on such a big fast car is amazing, so far have returned 150 mpg on journeys to 38 mpg on 120 round trip mile journeys, and this is at quite a decent pace over the journey, even the 160 mile leg home from picking the car up and only 50% battery still got 35 mpg with heavy motorway traffic etc. in places

Head lights are amazing, it is like watching night time world war 2 search lights in the air, miss corning lights though a little, but still not a problem, yet to use car in the heavy fog and mist as that is the real test of auto lights. the high beam auto far superior than the MB high beam assist.

The Car is scary quiet, even with the engine running, it is only when you start to hoof it you notice the engine.

Ride for general driving is very good (Air Suspension) and our roads are crap around my area.

It is a big car, but as it is boxy very easy to drive, and park, visibility is good too. The 360º camera not so sure about yet, it is good, but it does not cover much distance around the car, especially behind the car, so you have to be careful when reversing to make sure you do not suddenly come up very quickly to hitting something behind.

Braking system, with regenerative breaking and slowing down battery charging, is great, it is like a game with that needle and judging distance to slow down with out using the real brakes, smooth, and suits my style of driving, I had read about the brakes and some peoples thoughts, for me there is no issues at all, smooth transition when driving with some forward thinking.

Hybrid / Battery only is also great seems seamless between the two, to the point I am not even sure the engine is running on general driving, I do like the screen of the car drive train showing where the power is going.

Things that could be improved:-

Body Roll, it is there and will take getting used to, but to be fair to the car I am coming from an AMG with no roll at all, the T8 is a big heavy car, but I think with Air suspension it could be improved, (I am hoping Polestar will help a little when added). You can feel the weight of the car especially when you have to brake it pushes on very quickly to the point you have to brake harder than you anticipated when you get it wrong, but that said the brakes are very good and will stop the car.

The interference of the Lane safety feature, it is a little intrusive, had to turn off the actual steering part, but it is often vibrating the steering wheel, I just think it is over sensitive, and rough roads, poor road markings, and narrow line markings, even on A roads, it can vibrate.

Was little disappointed that when I used sat nav it did not know the address after the estate had been built for 3 years, although Volvo not the only sat nav that did not know, (MB Did) (I know there is an update now, will be interesting to see if it is on the map now)

As I said there seems to be many ways around issues that I am finding it hard to find with the car, and manual, The System on the Screen can be a little long winded, and wish there was an option to add more items on the main home screen so it was there to press on one touch, like 360º view (maybe there is a way)

I wish charging point was in a different position, just my issue

But so far a great car looking forward to the Polestar map when it is released for MY19

I would like to also thank some of you guys who do know more about the car than I do so far, a few answers posted helps as I do not seem to find items well in the manual etc.
Echoes my sentiments about my own MY19. One snag I cant seem to get around - when I collected the car my drive default was set at hybrid. I'm trying to change that to Pure. I go into settings and select Pure as a preset and tick the box etc but it doesn't stick and on startup always reverts to Hybrid. Any ideas?
Rodneyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 19:46   #3
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneyjp View Post
Echoes my sentiments about my own MY19. One snag I cant seem to get around - when I collected the car my drive default was set at hybrid. I'm trying to change that to Pure. I go into settings and select Pure as a preset and tick the box etc but it doesn't stick and on startup always reverts to Hybrid. Any ideas?
Maybe it’s linked to your “profile” and is not being saved because you have “locked” your profile to prevent any random updates? So try unlocking your profile to allow it to auto save the changes.
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 11:32   #4
MaDProFF
Master Member

Mine always defaults to Hybrid, and tbh I would rather it default to Pure, as I am charging it Nightly, I have not tried to change it, but will.

I have managed to navigate to finding play lists on my iPhone, again long winded, but in BT/Library/Favourites I think, there somewhere. (with out apple play connected).

Map Update has added the not found address only took 3 years for that one it seems.

Scheduled Charging seems to work when it feels like it.

Still loads to play with
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 14:36   #5
MaDProFF
Master Member

Apparently you cannot set Pure as a Default on start up
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 16:05   #6
MaDProFF
Master Member

Today on my weekly 120 mile round trip, I could not charge the car at half way point, so left inner London on pretty well 0 battery, (engine kicked in with in like 1/2 mile, So I switched to engine to charge battery ( I use this often) he's the thing, with in 30 minutes, and approx 20 odd miles, and an average of like 23 MPG it had actually charged the battery to 50%

Now what I do not understand is when you charge the battery on AC at 7kw, it takes approx 1 hour 15 mins to 50% charge, but engine charged it to 50% in 30 minutes, so why not a more power full charger option?

I must admit, I have never seen it charge that quick on the move, although it was raining, so maybe a massive short (joking)
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 21:54   #7
macklij
Member since 2007

Quote:
Now what I do not understand is when you charge the battery on AC at 7kw, it takes approx 1 hour 15 mins to 50% charge, but engine charged it to 50% in 30 minutes, so why not a more power full charger option?
7kW? At 240v thats over 29amps. Is it a special circuit you are using for charging?
macklij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 22:50   #8
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macklij View Post
7kW? At 240v thats over 29amps. Is it a special circuit you are using for charging?

Yes, pod point in the garage. charges car in about 2 1/2 hours give or take, and that is the max rate you can charge an XC60
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 00:40   #9
allplayandnowork

Quote:

Now what I do not understand is when you charge the battery on AC at 7kw, it takes approx 1 hour 15 mins to 50% charge, but engine charged it to 50% in 30 minutes, so why not a more power full charger)

Can't explain the quick charge but....although your podpoint may be rated at 7kw the charger on the car is only 3.7kw, having a higher rated supply will not help it charge quicker.
allplayandnowork is offline   Reply With Quote