Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to get to the washer bottle

Views : 2784

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2013, 16:36   #1
sp10

Default How to get to the washer bottle

Hello
I have a 1997 2.0S V40, the washer bottle somehwere is leaking full to empty over about 3 days, and about 5 minutes if used, only the fill spout is poking up through the body in engine compartment.
Question is how do i get to it to check the pipes and the pump
Have i got to remove the plastic wheel arch cover?
I have never had to work on this car but i am fairly ok with basic stuff

Thanks
Gary
sp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 16:45   #2
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile According to mr haynes

I think you have to remove RH wheel, then the inner wheel arch liner, plus the under tray (this corner -or- perhaps completely), if you've got fog-lights, remove this also, should be apparent once you've got the liner off.. I think the motor's' push into a rubber grommit in the tank to seal, should be easy to get a tank from a breakers..
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 17:13   #3
gatos
Premier Member

If you access it from the wheelarch, you will have easy access to the rear window washer pump. However, in order to access the front washer pump. and the washer level sensor, it is better to remove the plastic engine undertray.

Most probably, one of the rubber washers is worn allowing water to leak

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 23:03   #4
Volvon
Master Member

Theres only one pump on the 97 model, at the rear, you should be able to access it through the wheel arch liner. I doubt it's the pump leaking though, my money is on the pipe that connects to it, especially as it empties mega quick when you activate it. They go brittle over time and can start leaking. It's the same pipe that goes up to the bonnet and connects to the jets. You can cut a couple inches off it and stick it back on if this is at fault, there is a fair bit of length on it so it aint a problem shortening it a bit. Having said that if the washer reservoir has ever frozen it could have a small split in it. But check the pipe, pump and water level sensor first, they are 3 places likely to spring a leak.

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 10:41   #5
Bombproof

I have a s40 2005 and water is leaking down driver side left arch.. Ive taken screws to arch out but very apprehensive to pull what I assume maybe gromits for the rest of the arch as there's no give like the arch is glued on as I pull.. As I say there's 3 star screws on each side on the bottom but nothing else
Bombproof is offline   Reply With Quote