Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Dipped Beam Performance - Downright Dangerous

Views : 17692

Replies : 92

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: XC70 Dipped Beam Performance
Great - no problem 25 22.32%
Not bad - ok for me 17 15.18%
Could be better 51 45.54%
Downright Dangerous 19 16.96%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 11th, 2011, 20:31   #1
wyerd

Default XC70 Dipped Beam Performance - Downright Dangerous

I've had the 2012 XC70 for 3 months now and I can say that the dipped beam headlights are absolutely terrible, in fact I consider them dangerous.

On these dark, raining winter nights, where there are no street lights where I live in the countryside, they give out no more light than a pedestrian with a torch! Many a time when there's a car on the other side of the road, it's by pure guesswork that I actually managed to stay on the road.

The dealer says that they are setup correctly, but comparing them with our Merc, the beam is set too low. They're the active bending round corner auto height adjust type, so I'm not sure if they can be adjusted manually.

What are your thoughts on the XC70 lights? What can I do so I can see more of the road on dipped beam without buying a pair of night vision goggles?

Thanks.

Last edited by wyerd; Dec 11th, 2011 at 20:47.
wyerd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wyerd For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 20:58   #2
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Does it have Xenon Headlights? (I'm guessing it must)

The standard lights are IMHO cr*p and I wouldn't have a Volvo without Xenon light (Active Xenons).

I find (with Active Xenons) the full beam to be very good, the dipped lights aren't Great but I couldn't call them Dangerous either. I think it's more a case of the Full Beam being very good that you really notice when to go to Dipped Lights.

I live in the country so a lot of unlit roads, but I use full beam unless there is another car in view or a pedestrian.

Best take it to another dealership and ask them to double check it.

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 21:04   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

yes you can raise the lights yourself on the adjusters on the lights how far ahead do the dip headlamps point to the ground ?
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 21:29   #4
wyerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes you can raise the lights yourself on the adjusters on the lights how far ahead do the dip headlamps point to the ground ?
Really? even with the active Bi-Xenon Headlights? It's like light to dark on the road - no gradual drop off. It's difficult to say exactly - I'll have to measure it.
wyerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 22:38   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

yes the usual horizontal and vertical adjustment screws on each light unit ( you need a 7 mm socket i think ... I mean if you are driving at say 50 mph are the lights pointing towards the floor so that you cant see far enough ahead to go over 50 mph in the dark?
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 07:35   #6
gtr1000

FWIW, my 59 plate 2.0D with OEM halogen bulbs had the dipped beam set way too low. Took it back to Volvo stealer within a week of getting the car, they checked it and said it was perfect.

Still not convinced, I took it to my local MOT centre who re-checked the beam pattern and found it was miles out.

My first port of call to the OP would be a MOT test centre and not to take the stealers word that all is OK.
gtr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 19:32   #7
clivea
clivea

I have an Xc70 MY10 and found the halogen dipped lights terible. I thought that volvo had traded light output for life given that the dipped beams fom the day running lights. I have now fitted Osram Nightbreaker+ bulbs which have improved the winter driving immensley. Why Volvo did not fit LED day runners is a puzzle.

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 13:48   #8
chipshop
Chipshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyerd View Post
I've had the 2012 XC70 for 3 months now and I can say that the dipped beam headlights are absolutely terrible, in fact I consider them dangerous.

On these dark, raining winter nights, where there are no street lights where I live in the countryside, they give out no more light than a pedestrian with a torch! Many a time when there's a car on the other side of the road, it's by pure guesswork that I actually managed to stay on the road.

The dealer says that they are setup correctly, but comparing them with our Merc, the beam is set too low. They're the active bending round corner auto height adjust type, so I'm not sure if they can be adjusted manually.

What are your thoughts on the XC70 lights? What can I do so I can see more of the road on dipped beam without buying a pair of night vision goggles?

Thanks.

Try Specsavers !!!
chipshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 16:03   #9
apersson850
Premier Member

I have the same as you, a XC70 2012, with active bending Xenon lights. I find neither the dipped nor the full beam to be bad. Significantly better than the halogen lights I've had on older cars before.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 19:56   #10
Absolutevolvo

Personally I find the dipped beam on the xenon lights to be excellent so either the OP's lights are very badly adjusted or he does need Specsavers! They do have a hard edge by design to avoid blinding oncoming drivers but give enough vision for driving at the speed limit on my MY 11 xc70. I had a MY08 V70 with halogen lights which was less good but perfectly driveable.
Absolutevolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Absolutevolvo For This Useful Post: