Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear tailgate will not open

Views : 14332

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2019, 12:26   #41
Bioly1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrb View Post
Mine did that.. For some reason I had to push the handle the opposite way. ie towards the car and then it would open.

Ended up having to replace the entire locking mechanism..
did the same but works so no replacement done so far
Bioly1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 22:23   #42
Rusty911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croft View Post
Hi - resorted to buying a new latch from local Volvo dealer. Did consider the offerings from the auction sites, but in looking at the photos decided to splash out on a new one for just under £250.

Fitted it, all works well. Decided to have a look in the old one. This cannot be dismantled without damage to the case as it has been pressed into the metal assembly. The plastic case had become brittle with age too. Besides, it is a very complicated component for what essentially a simple task.

The likely cause of my issues and intermittent operation seems to be a broken rubber bushing that was fowling the actuator, preventing full movement. This in turn then puts the mechanism out of sync with all the microswitches.

I have highlighted the troublesome part below. My advice, replace the lock!
Old thread I know, but my tailgate stopped working after I managed to shut it down over a dustsheet. Luckily I could still open it manually, and with some adjustment to the stops as per the video it would sometimes work. I replaced the stops, but no difference.

In the interest of science, I put a 1 1/2 inch square of sponge in the rear panel recess where the catch is: it opened every time. With boot open, if I closed the tailgate latch with a screwdriver and then fired the unlock button on the remote, it would instantly release to the fully open position. However, the faulty operation of the tailgate is just as per video: almost seems to catch around the centre, twisting the whole tailgate a bit before pulling itself closed.

Anyway, the net net is that I dropped the whole release mechanism with the idea of trying to dismantle it. After much fiddling and concluding (as above) there was no way to get in there, by chance a little bit of rubber boot fell out. I imagine it might be the bit mentioned by Croft. It had a couple of chew-marks in it as well. As a shot to nothing, I put the mech back in the car and have cycled the tailgate about twenty times over the last few hours and it's been fine: no hint of catching at all. I can only think that the mech fighting the dustsheet had overloaded the rubber boot and split it. The tailgate had been perfect before the dustsheet incident.

I think Croft is spot on: if the micro-switches don't 'see' that the tailgate has cleared the car quickly enough it blocks the release catch whilst the lift motor is still running.

I suspect that most of these tailgate mechs that are going in the bin would be quite savable if only you could get in there for a fiddle.

Nevertheless, if you don't fancy spending £250+, it might be worth removing it and giving it a good shake about just on the off-chance a similar thing has happened. If it goes wrong again, I'll go in with the Dremel and try some surgery on a nothing-to-lose basis. Also, whilst it was out, I did photograph the part-number sticker for future (eBay) reference on basis a used one is about £40 and therefore sacrificial in terms of open heart surgery.
Rusty911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 23:22   #43
Houndwagon

Default Another dodgy tailgate :(

So... my recently acquired 2013 XC70 has developed the "tailgate wont open" problem, accompanied by the non-working rear wiper. Something that I haven't seen mentioned I the forum is the information message displayed on the dashboard accompanying the fault - I might be being din but I cannot find this display explained anywhere... I have attached the picture of the displayed message, which I assumed meant the tailgate was open, so I stopped and tried to open and close the tailgate and well, you can guess the rest! The first time this happened it went away within 20 minutes but it has returned today (4 days later) and shows no signs of going away. I have messaged the dealer I bought the car from but as he is 80 miles away I dont really want to spend a day getting the car back to him... any advice appreciated!

Okay - so the link to an image share url won't work - basically it's the representation of the car with five seats showing which belts are fastened and showing what doors are open - the tailgate section is highlighted which I assumed meant it was open... what I am actually thinking now is that it "thinks" it is open and that is what's causing the issue - see if I can get it open in the morning...

Last edited by Houndwagon; Nov 8th, 2019 at 23:32. Reason: Picture not displaying
Houndwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2023, 10:30   #44
Davadava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastellos View Post
Thanks for the advice. Tried everything but the tailgate remained solidly closed.
In the end we had to destroy the lock to get it open. Came to the conclusion it was a defective lock.
Worked from inside. Unscrewed 2 screws that retained trim grab recess. Pulled carpet trim away from door (it is held at the top by 2 screws that are inaccessible when tailgate closed). Had to work in confined space when trim partly pulled away, both underneath and over the top. Nothing obviously defective. Both the mechanical linkage and the solenoid one were slack and no amount of tugging would make it release the door. Disconnected the electrical plug at the top of the lock. There was no obvious mechanical release mechanism on the outside of the lock. The only option was to destroy the plastic cover over the lock. Removed motors etc. and then got to the bottom metal plate and able with a struggle to rotate the locking pin to release the door.
Got the impression that it was poor engineering. No possibility of releasing mechanically when we did get to the lock and far too much electronics to go wrong.
On the other hand the electrical cable at the hinge has been modified so that it does not tend to fracture on the more recent models.
Lock part number: 31253450 or 40508120 underneath 00308 VOLVO.
Hope others do not have this trouble.
Same issue. 2010 v70. No indentation tab (our 2014 xc70 has the tab)
Got into boot.
Drilled and cut though rhs of the grey plastic cover.
Then butchered the upper right hand plate of the lock.
Needed a large flat screwdriver to rotate the lock clockwise.
A frustrating 2 hours with drill and oscillating carbide blade lots of smokey plastic.
Sadly, the part needed was £320 and new cover £5.
Got photos but can’t work out how to add.
Oh and all the tailgate lower panel clip retainers pulled off the carpet. Now screwed in
Davadava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2023, 11:52   #45
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndwagon View Post
So... my recently acquired 2013 XC70 has developed the "tailgate wont open" problem, accompanied by the non-working rear wiper.
Sounds like the infamous grounding fault. Pry out the plastic cover over the rear wiper drive shaft (push on pin from behind to avoid destroying it), connect a wire to the drive shaft, connect the other end to ground (for example the door lock bracket at the rear door) and try opening the tailgate. If this works, the problem is usually at the upper left corner of a connector at the rear end of the roof. Remove plastic cover under the rear ceiling and rear luggage compartment light for access. Bridge the burnt ground wire around the connector and it will work again.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:

Tags
clicking, rear tailgate, unlock, xc70