Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Purchase of a new to me V70 D5 - your advice please

Views : 1355

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2019, 10:58   #1
Planet_Ovlov

Default Purchase of a new to me V70 D5 - your advice please

Good morning all

As an interim car for 1~2 years I’ve settled on taking a punt on a Auto D5 V70 up to 2005/6. There are quite a few to choose from, I’m posting here twofold in that I might get an opinion - likely! - or that someone is considering selling theirs which is known, like I knew my previous 740 and Amazon Estate. I’m quite handy with the spanners and have a mechanic friend, don’t mind consumables just trying to avoid the catastrophe.

The nuts and bolts:

Spec I’d like
V70 D5 Auto 163bhp
SE - is this the best option vs a winter pack?
Xenon lights - I can manage with standard but night driving is better for me these days with brighter lights.
Tow bar - not deal breaker but useful
Colour, not black, green, plum, gold - ideally a grey/silver/blue. I’ve got to look at it and I’m thinking of resale.

My Checklist (complied from previous VOC posts/requests) - thank you other members for taking the time to do that.

V70 D5 Buyers Guide
  • Few owners
  • Good service history and supporting receipts.
  • Clean exterior and interior
  • Ideally all tyres match - so few do so far.
  • Suspension is knock and rattle free, look for smooth ride without bounce.
  • Brakes at speed in straight line with no judder/vibrations.
  • Check all electrics work
  • Ensure the gearbox works as it should with no clunks or delayed changes when shifting gears
  • No oil leaks - what would be considered an ‘avoid?’ I would think sump leak is not critical for example although still an issue
  • Check discs/pads
  • Check exhaust inc hangers
  • Engine oil colour
  • Fluid levels generally - transmission
  • Rubbers in general, not quite sure what I’m looking for other than large wear or damage to what I can see on full lock
  • Transmission switch - is this from auto to semi auto?
  • Steering for notches
  • Drive shafts and joints
  • Colour of power steering fluid
  • Expect some smoke on start up and revving and that’s it
  • No knocks or unusual noises from engine, anyone care to explain what a sweet sounding D5 should like.
  • Pulses from engine at constant speed or revs could be injectors
  • Check for flaring between shifts and knocks when going from D/N, N/D and when down-shifting on a feathered throttle.
  • Make sure its got two keys
  • Coolant (greenish blue is correct)
  • Check the radiator through the front air dam (under the bumper) for condition
  • Check all the brake lights - dodgy brake lights are a common symptom or CEM failure.

- be willing to travel
- avoid cars that have cheap modifications

Things to consider post purchase
Flush and fill gearbox oil

Search so far:

1. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01904167035797

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01810221711197

3. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01904267354119

4. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01904126922240

5. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01904086733935

Last edited by Planet_Ovlov; Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:59. Reason: To add 'buyers guide' for future searches on VOC
Planet_Ovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 13:18   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Since you have to drive 'em I suggest you get started.

1) It's odd how they bury the mileage somewhere in those listings.
2) #5 has headlight wipers. I hate headlight wipers but am OK with glass headlights.
3) You may or may not want Zenon headlights. They're brighter but each has a starter / power board which is another part to fail.
4) Stick with 15-16 inch wheels. Avoid 17-18 obvious reasons
5) You might prefer to have no tow bar as it'd indicate possible transmission abuse. A tow bar is a 4 bolt installation.....couldn't be easier or cheaper. Don't require it on a car selection
6) Get the transmission as hot as you can.
7) Start engine and open the coolant reservoir(before it gets hot) and see if pressure is going to it (bad HG)
8) The only "transmission switch" I know is the "Winter" switch which starts the unit in 3rd gear. I believe this feature lugs the engine so the wheels don't break free as fast. People spill drinks on the console and the button gets sticky.
9) Get goin'
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 11:14   #3
Planet_Ovlov

Thanks for your tips. Agreed on all points.

By chance I was picked up yesterday (on some boat related business) in a 2002 V70 2.4 petrol estate. Great I thought to see what it's like.

Not sure if it was the pilots driving style, noticed he kept feathering the throttle, or the smell from the leather (reminded me of a Saab I used to drive) or the gentle vibe I noticed in the steering wheel and a sort of wallow on the M way/A roads but I felt car sick, I never get car sick. Had to crack a window to escape the smell which predominantly was cause I thought.

Can't remember back now to my 740 days but don't remember that, I think I would!

The seats were leather and like a type of sofa that isn't sprung, supportive but not firm. Maybe it's had a hard life, only 85k on the clock mind.

Now wondering if the V70 is for me after all, guess my last comparison was a Golf hire car, everything tight and on the firm side. Not an apples to apples comparison but something about that car yesterday which I sank into but didn't stop, unnerving.

As you say get out there and drive a few, I really don't want to bother private sellers for this, not really dealers either but there's only one way to find out. Got me considering a 330d as might be a firmer ride.

Keep you posted!

Last edited by Planet_Ovlov; Apr 30th, 2019 at 11:16. Reason: Grammer!
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 11:56   #4
BarryCambs

In my aging mind, 2002 - 2006 is last week, but in reality, my 2002 V70 I bought 7 years ago is now 17 years old and nearly ready to join my 1929 car on classic insurance! Irrespective of mileage and servicing, they are wearing out. I recently had a brand new Focus as a hire car in Switzerland. Getting out of that into my V70 in the Airport car park was like getting into a well worn series 3 land rover, despite the fact, mines had lots of recent suspension work and is well serviced.

I was shocked how noisy mine seemed, but again, the door seals, sub frame mounts, etc, etc are all going home now :-( The padding in the driver's seat seems to have suddenly disappeared too, making for an uncomfortable ride long distance. I suspect this is down to age rather than mileage as well.
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryCambs For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 13:39   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Feathering the throttle may be due to the bad ETM design. This is not an issue 2004 on.

No telling what someone used on the leather.

The '02's dampers were old-guaranteed!
FYI: Inevitable deterioration of ride is why Bilstein H6's are going in my '07.

Having a seat reupholstered isn't usual but not unheard of either. The leather of my '02's front seat was so ratty I had it redone. There is a regionally prominent (as in Northeast US) upholstery shop in the neighboring town.

Do whatever you like. All cars within your budget will be old and somehow worn

"I really don't want to bother private sellers for {test drives}", is the oddest thing I've ever heard a car shopper say. Why not stay home and order a car online using trust and the honour system?

Consider everything but don't overlook what a car costs whilst it ages.
Rust?...the quality of the steel used in the P1/P2 cars is superior.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 15:13   #6
oragex
Premier Member

Buying a used car is certainly unnerving, if only from the perspective of discovering two months later that it needs a new clutch (engine out job on a V70) or some other major repair.

Truth is, most buyers fell too much on the appearance, and I have to say a 15y old S60 can be easily cleaned to look like new in and out. That of course has nothing to do with the electrical/mechanical condition of the car.

My take on this is to take the time and wait to find a car that's being sold by someone older, that can show plenty of repairs done at a place with good reputation. An owner that didn't spare money on repairs, and used only quality parts. That's the best bet, and I'm talking about any car brand. Limiting the search to only 1-2 car models is increasing the risks.

Also, buying a car in fall/winter is the best because the prices are lower. Worst time for buying is spring time.

This one looks interesting https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...01810221711197

Last edited by oragex; Apr 30th, 2019 at 15:15.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oragex For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2019, 12:37   #7
Planet_Ovlov

Morning all, still checking ads. Prices seem to vary between £1500~£4500 so have been looking at lower end

Thoughts on this https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...rce=ios_social

Listed as S spec but has fogs I think and cruise with function steering wheel. What is that interior, suede? Suedette?
Old May 5th, 2019, 19:28   #8
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet_Ovlov View Post
Morning all, still checking ads. Prices seem to vary between £1500~£4500 so have been looking at lower end

Thoughts on this https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...rce=ios_social

Listed as S spec but has fogs I think and cruise with function steering wheel. What is that interior, suede? Suedette?
Cloth. It’s an S.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2019, 19:55   #9
Planet_Ovlov

Thank you! Noted afterwards a few less buttons in front of the gear lever.. quite into the cloth interior tho, it’s takes all sorts! Also noticed he’s in Scotland, but too far for me
Old May 5th, 2019, 20:28   #10
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile thoughts

The P2 cars are certainly well built, definitely worth looking into how much care has been taken with maintenance, and drive several if possible even if they are not the exact spec or colour your looking for as it will give you a good idea of what to look out for.

Front wishbones will certainly have needed to be replaced at least once, unless its a super low miler thats been in storage .. slightly wandering steering over road markings is a clue here, the D5 engine is pretty bulletproof (assuming cambelt replaced along with tensioner) and a good one will go to high mileages with regular oil changes. Clutches are likely to need changing at 80/90k unless your favouring an auto.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post: