Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sound Proofing

Views : 4695

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2012, 13:19   #21
Wulff

Will need to upload more photos of the work under the rear seat and the trunk when back at home.
Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wulff For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 16:43   #22
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I bought a cheapo sound meter from ebay with the plan to be a little more scientific in the sound proofing analysis. It is only a Db meter so basically gives an overall rating of the amount of sound , so I hope to be able to locate the areas where most sound transmits through/from and see if there is anything I can do to stop or reduce it. Ideally you'd have a meter that would tell you the frequency as well and that would help you decide on what materials would work best, but will see how I get on with the Db meter. It'll be a little while before I get round to this as the car will be off the road for a few weeks but after I do my car I thought if others would like a go with the meter I could send it on and we could have a record of how loud other cars were, we could compare how well different materials and techniques worked and have a better idea of what works in the real world for the Amazons so then we will have a better idea of how quiet they can be and what is a good level etc.

So we'll see how I get on and if anyone is interested in also having a play get in touch once I post some results. Would also be keen to hear ideas and other things people have done to keep the cabin quiet.

Last edited by Burdekin; Jun 6th, 2012 at 16:46.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 19:15   #23
edworcs

Default Smartphone suggestion

Mitch,

If you have a smart phone you may be able to get an app to help measure Db. Googling came up with this one.

Just thought it could be a cheap alternative, I've not tried it (yet).

Ed
edworcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edworcs For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 11:59   #24
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Thanks Ed.

The sound meter was only about £15 and is a Maplin one so imagine it should be okay and will be a fun wee project and hopefully I'll learn some more about noise and soundproofing.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 10:52   #25
Thowdfella
Thowdfella

Very interesting as I have just done the car with NOICO sound proofing and am about to do the bonnet. One comment I would make is that I have also fitted a new set of high quality thick carpet and I believe this has helped as well.
Thowdfella is offline   Reply With Quote