Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 headlights very dim with age

Views : 7309

Replies : 91

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2019, 10:13   #41
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
I finally found the time, energy and money to get these bulbs fitted and they are FANTASTIC even in my old units which no doubt have lost a lot of their reflective quality. They turned out to be £49 per pair, not each so I was dead chuffed! Cheers Dave!
What's the beam pattern like Ellie?

I keep thinking mine seem to have gone dim over the last year and keep thinking about getting a pair of these, I don't want to be dazzling oncoming drivers though.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 11:10   #42
mhuk

Based on what's been said. I have on order a pair. Currely using cough 90W. It's OK but in the country lanes it's a bit like having candles.
mhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 11:59   #43
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Normal halogen bulbs will dim with use Luke, the heat turns the glass envelops black from the inside. Have a look at this :

Middle pair of beams are the LED bulbs, on the left new Chinabay "Xenon-look" halogens, on the right, a few-month-old Nightbreakers.

As you can see, the LEDs are the brightest with the best beam pattern.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...nversion-9-32v

If you really want to see what they're like on a Volvo, i can get pics tonight but aside from the background, they won't be much different. However, here's a dash-cam vid from my Volvo which shows the beam pattern. There's also a lunatic in a Ford overtaking on a narrow, very bumpy road with anoncoming car and not much room at about 9:10 give or take a few seconds

https://youtu.be/RDwk_SLSaDk

Enjoy!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 17:38   #44
mhuk

Hi All, I fitted these today.

very impressive guessing I did something wrong as they are on all the time. Switch postion does not matter .

Do I need a LED type relay? cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191116-163548_Photo Editor.jpg (27.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191116-163503_Gallery.jpg (105.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191116-163510_Gallery.jpg (63.7 KB, 10 views)
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 17:41   #45
mhuk

non blurry picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191116-164006_Gallery.jpg (82.1 KB, 8 views)
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 18:47   #46
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuk View Post
Hi All, I fitted these today.

very impressive guessing I did something wrong as they are on all the time. Switch postion does not matter .

Do I need a LED type relay? cheers
I was a bit thrown by this too but I asked the MOT Tester if this is correct and he said yes, they are, they seem to be acting as the day running lights?

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 19:33   #47
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That's correct Ellie, they will come on dimly with the side lights known as dim-dip.

If you drive up to a wall with the sidelights (or no lights) on and the engine running, your sidelights should be on as day running lights ("Guiding Lights" they call them in Sweden) and the headlights on dim-dip and then use your smartphone video camera, the lights will appear to flicker on and off - we can't see this normally but it's the same principle as the wagon wheels going backwards on a forward traveling stagecoach in an old Western film. It's all down to the frames per second.

Switch the headlights on and they should steady out and get brighter.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 22:32   #48
bob12
bob12

May I ask a 'gentle' question ... are the LED bulbs people seem to be satisfied with those supplied by Poweful.co.uk for £47 for the LR Defender?

If so .... do they have the 2 set-screws that hold the 'light fitment' in place (rather than just one) on the main body as per the suppliers video and, do they have the adjustment 'guide' etched on to the adjustment face?

Further did you have to dispense with the original Volvo water/dust shield on the back of your headlight fitment?

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 22:44   #49
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
May I ask a 'gentle' question ... are the LED bulbs people seem to be satisfied with those supplied by Poweful.co.uk for £47 for the LR Defender?

If so .... do they have the 2 set-screws that hold the 'light fitment' in place (rather than just one) on the main body as per the suppliers video and, do they have the adjustment 'guide' etched on to the adjustment face?

Further did you have to dispense with the original Volvo water/dust shield on the back of your headlight fitment?

Bob
The bulbs don't know what car they're fitted in Bob, the Defender uses standard, off-the-shelf, 7" round light units, they just happen to be listed ny Powerful.co.uk as being "for" the Defender.

Mine had the two grub screws in the collar and the graduated etchings on the collar to line up the mark on the bulb and yes, i left the dust cover off. Three years later no adverse effects.

Old Nov 16th, 2019, 23:01   #50
bob12
bob12

Thanks Dave ... the ones I received some few weeks ago now only have one grub screw so that seems to set the 'light' off skew a little when tightened (although not fitted to the car) and, has no graduated etchings (not that really matters).

Due to the weather and other personal matters I doubt I shall be able to 'play' with them until the Spring or when it's not fcuking raining every day.

Bob :
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: