Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 Steering locked

Views : 1887

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2016, 22:05   #1
mcflick

Default S80 Steering locked

Does anyone have a solution to my steering lock problem. As I was getting out of the car, I steadied myself on the steering wheel. As I did this it turned clockwise and I heard a click. On inserting the key back in the ignition, I found i couldn't get it to turn. The steering wheel would not move back in an anti clockwise movement either. There is no problem putting the key in and out off ignition and the lights work and doors all lock/unlock with the key fob.
Thanks.
mcflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 10:46   #2
savabill
Master Member

Move the steering wheel left and right and turn the key at the same time.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 11:25   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflick View Post
Does anyone have a solution to my steering lock problem. As I was getting out of the car, I steadied myself on the steering wheel. As I did this it turned clockwise and I heard a click. On inserting the key back in the ignition, I found i couldn't get it to turn. The steering wheel would not move back in an anti clockwise movement either. There is no problem putting the key in and out off ignition and the lights work and doors all lock/unlock with the key fob.
Thanks.
If you can't free the lock the only answer is a new one , your dealer can order one to suit your original keys ...
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 16:29   #4
Jim314
Premier Member

Is the steering wheel locked on-centre (wheels straight ahead) or off-centre? This may be irrelevant, but I'd just like to know.

If it is locked by your turning the wheel CW until it locked, then you would normally release it by turning the wheel further CW hard and holding it whilst turning the ignition key to position 1 or 2 to disengage the steering wheel lock.

If this doesn't work, then it could be that the mechanism in the ignition lock happened to break at the moment you turned the wheel. In that case, you would be facing working on the ignition lock or replacing it..

One other possibility might be to jack up the front so that the front wheels are off the ground and have someone apply turning force to one or the other wheel. Just a thought . . .

One other possibility is with the wheels on the ground to get someone strong to push hard sideways against the front end whilst you are attempting to turn the key and free the steering wheel. I think in your case the pushing should be on the right side, pushing to the left. If you don't have a rugby forward available for this, you could insert the front tow eye and apply lateral force using a cable to another vehicle or to a fixed object using a mechanical advantage set-up.

Last edited by Jim314; Jan 31st, 2016 at 17:14.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 06:20   #5
myfirstv70

Default Fingers crossed

I've had this before (probably not on a Volvo even)....when turning the ignition key (don't force it!) pull the steering wheel in the direction you steadied yourself (I'm guessing anti-clockwise) and you should unload the resistance in the steering system. Sometimes the system 'winds-up' like a spring ie the stiffness/ deformation of the tyre walls being held back by the lock. The steering wheel might need a good pull but go easy on the key......
HTH,
Nobby
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 10:59   #6
savabill
Master Member

I don't know if the OP has got this sorted. He hasn't been on the forum since his original post.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 21:37   #7
psautomotive

Smile Volvo xc70 Steering Wheel Locked No Ignition Fix [SOLVED]

https://youtu.be/B0HTbDftz30
psautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 21:43   #8
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

LOL OP discovered steering lock. Maybe indicators next