Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 "Dump Valve Sound" / Slow Turbo Response Cure

Views : 45324

Replies : 81

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2011, 18:15   #11
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbren30 View Post
Just been hunting in my tool box for the required tools to do this. I have everything except brake cleaner. Could you use wd40 or should I wait until tomorrow till I can pop to the local motorland to get some brake cleaner?
wait untill you get the correct cleaning fliud wd 40 is not good.
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 18:18   #12
mbren30

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
wait untill you get the correct cleaning fliud wd 40 is not good.
mike
Will do, thanks for the quick reply.

Heres hoping this time tomorrow my car will come back to life, it's definitely not as 'quick' as it used to be before the pssst sound started.
mbren30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 18:36   #13
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbren30 View Post
Will do, thanks for the quick reply.

Heres hoping this time tomorrow my car will come back to life, it's definitely not as 'quick' as it used to be before the pssst sound started.
good luck
mike
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 18:55   #14
Vaho

Ok, did mine. As seen on the picture the mesh looks relatively clogged but after the cleanup and testrun there were no changes. Apparently it wasn´t 100% clogged despite that it looked bad.
Better luck to the others.

Old Apr 14th, 2011, 20:17   #15
RAN60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaho View Post
Ok, did mine. As seen on the picture the mesh looks relatively clogged but after the cleanup and testrun there were no changes. Apparently it wasn´t 100% clogged despite that it looked bad.
Better luck to the others.

You could try blowing the cleaner up through the "out" pipe blowing the crap out not in?
RAN60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 21:10   #16
Vaho

I actually used carb cleaner and compressed air from the can. After the treatment with carb cleaner I blowed compressed air into the OUT pipe and it came out trhough the mesh correctly. The crap is only outside anyway because of the airflow inwards.
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 17:49   #17
mbren30

Well, I have just come back inside from spending the last 30 mins cleaning my turbo governor.

Very simple job thanks to the guide provided by RAN60 and others who contributed.

The mesh on mine was black so I gave it a good squirt of brake cleaner and blew into the leg as instructed, initially blowing into it was very difficult but got easier after a couple more blasts of cleaner. Put everything back together then start her up. I revved the engine hard and came off the gas which normally results in the pssst sound from the turbo area. Try as I might I couldn't hear it! Took her out for a quick trip round the block and it certainly feels more responsive. I'll know for definite if the psssst sound has gone when I go back in work tomorrow as I drive down the side of the building that's when I used to hear it the most, here's hoping it's gone.

All in all I'm happy with the results, quick easy job to do and cost me 3.99 for the brake cleaner. Just wondering how often this would need to be done as I imagine it would slowly clog up again over time.

Thanks to all that contributed to come up with this cure.
mbren30 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbren30 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 14:47   #18
Lukesmadhouse

Hi guys

in middle of doing mine but i cant get anything back through the mesh if i blow in the out pipe it just comes out of the vac pipe is this right? Also when i've sprayed the mesh i can see liquid underneath it when you move it about any help asap would be appreciated

cheers
Lukesmadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 15:31   #19
RAN60
Master Member

You probably wont get anything through the mesh as the mesh is the vent when the solenoid is activated. Best to just try and get the mesh as clean as possible and re-assemble.

You may notice the blowing got easier on the two pipes after you cleaned the valve out.

Doesnt matter if its spotless just debris free.

Hope that helps!
RAN60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 15:48   #20
Lukesmadhouse

Yes i noticed a difference when i first blew nothing came out so will rebuild now and report back shortly

cheers
Lukesmadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote