Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Radiator leaking

Views : 9001

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2016, 13:29   #1
adambsmith

Angry Radiator leaking

My XC60 was 3 years old on 1 March 2016. All had been fine for those three years.

Bank holiday Monday just gone I get a warning message about the coolant level being low. Pulled over and saw that the coolant was just below the 'Min' level. Got to a filling station and purchased some generic coolant and topped up.

Just got back from the dealer and they have identified a small radiator leak in a corner of the rad. They don't think it's stone damage and they are going to ask Volvo for a contribution given that I am only 2 and a smidge months out of warranty. The car has got full FSH (at the same dealer) and this is my second XC60.

Off the cuff - the service manager said it would be £600ish full cost but they hoped to get it down to £100-£120.

Fingers crossed - I will update when I hear more.
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adambsmith For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2016, 14:40   #2
JGEM

Default Radiator woe

My radiator started weeping at just over 5 1/2 years and had to get replaced at 6 years. These composite plastic and aluminium radiators just don't seem as robust. Just like car batteries the quality has dropped over the years and they are just another consumable.

I've had several cars where radiator replacement of plastic / aluminium type inside 10 years is required. The radiator lasted about 8 years in my old 940 before failing just before I bought the car. The dealer replaced it with a similar one which was a pity. A friend of mine with a 940 replaced his with an all metal one (Nissen I think) and it's still going strong 12 years later.

My XC60 radiator replacement was just under A$1000 so around 500 pounds. Because of selling our house / moving I decided not to do the job myself so had the Volvo dealer do it. Dealer used the same plastic / aluminium type - I had searched the net beforehand but could find no all metal version of the XC60 radiator
JGEM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JGEM For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2016, 16:46   #3
adambsmith

Hmm, just had the dealer back on.

Volvo are offering to go 50/50 and so the cost to me of a new radiator will be £250 all in. I think that's poor.

Thoughts welcome.
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 17:30   #4
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

There are some companies who make custom all aluminium radiators so could be worth a try for a more reliable component.

I'm interested if it's cheaper to buy more than one.

http://www.grsmotorsport.co.uk/customradiators.html

http://aaronradiator.co.uk/pages/Alu...Radiators.html

http://www.coolexperts.co.uk/motor-v...art-to-finish/

http://www.adrad.co.uk/car-radiator/
Old May 6th, 2016, 17:33   #5
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambsmith View Post

Volvo are offering to go 50/50 and so the cost to me of a new radiator will be £250 all in. I think that's poor.

Thoughts welcome.
I agree. I'd expect a radiator to last at least 10 years. So 30/70 would be more appropriate.
Old May 6th, 2016, 18:04   #6
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:

Thoughts welcome.
I and many other owners of older models have issue free radiators well over 10 years old and 200k+ miles so in your position, I would remind Volvo that they used to make radiators properly and as the first (and loyal) owner, you shouldn't have to cough up for their cost cutting.
It's not even as if you've neglected to do anything maintenance wise. It should just last.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2016, 18:08   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:

Thoughts welcome.
I think that you are extremely lucky to get any contribution and that you should accept it with grace. They are under no obligation to fund anything post the warranty period.
Old May 6th, 2016, 18:17   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I think that you are extremely lucky to get any contribution and that you should accept it with grace. They are under no obligation to fund anything post the warranty period.
Legal no. Moral, yes, especially if reliability is a trait you want to be known for.

If Volvo contribute heavily without question, it gives the impression your problem is an unusual one whereas if they squirm or are mealy mouthed, you can bet you aren't the first (or last) with that problem.

I read of problems on newer models that are a rarity on our ancient and well used cars and it's very clear that Volvos aren't what they used to be when it comes to reliability or parts quality.
If a radiator can't cope with 3 years of the British climate, there's something wrong.
Old May 6th, 2016, 18:47   #9
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Legal no. Moral, yes, especially if reliability is a trait you want to be known for.

And that is exactly what Volvo have done, they are offering to contribute 50% towards that cost, that constitutes filling the moral obligation that you have created.
Old May 6th, 2016, 19:04   #10
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
And that is exactly what Volvo have done, they are offering to contribute 50% towards that cost, that constitutes filling the moral obligation that you have created.
No it doesn't.
50% suggests there's equal blame for the situation but a knackered radiator is entirely Volvo's making.
There is nothing the customer could have reasonably done to avoid the problem whereas as Volvo could have reasonably made a better radiator in the first place.