Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Oil Service Required" Message

Views : 18941

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2016, 21:14   #1
K5 Gus

Default "Oil Service Required" Message

"Oil service required"

This warning has been popping up on the dash of my D4 V60 the last couple of days when I start her up.

Just checked the manual, and it says I should visit a workshop, the oil level may be too high. ( there seems to be a separate message if level too low "Oil level low" which I've not seen ).

The thing is the last service was 10 months ago ( and about 8000 miles ), so how could there suddenly be too much oil in there ?

Doing a search, someone said back in 2013 that the dpf can cause the oil levels to rise, is that right ? http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ht=oil+service

Not actually done a oil level check, will do that tomorrow in daylight once I figure out from the manual what sequence of buttons to press.
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 22:22   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

The Extra over-fuelling to ignite the DPF which flowed into the sump was an issue several years ago but it was rare then and hasn't been heard of for a few years.

The issue was caused in the main by people doing short journeys and it only applied to the 5 cylinder 2.4ltr engine.
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 23:14   #3
inego

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
The Extra over-fuelling to ignite the DPF which flowed into the sump was an issue several years ago but it was rare then and hasn't been heard of for a few years.

The issue was caused in the main by people doing short journeys and it only applied to the 5 cylinder 2.4ltr engine.
Happened to me twice last year but, yes, D5 2.4l.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 00:39   #4
wilbydoughboy

The service centre has probably put to much engine oil in. Check on your dipstick with the car on level ground and if near to the top mark or over drain some engine oil out. With the diesel that can collect in the sump this will give a rise that once over a certain level triggers the message. Always check the oil level after a service on the dipstick as the electronic message can take some mileage to give a true reading and clean oil shows it has been changed.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 08:45   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by inego View Post
Happened to me twice last year but, yes, D5 2.4l.
I would check to see if the servicing people you use have received the bulletins on how to fill the engine correctly - and also that the latest firmware is on the car
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 09:33   #6
K5 Gus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbydoughboy View Post
The service centre has probably put to much engine oil in. Check on your dipstick with the car on level ground and if near to the top mark or over drain some engine oil out. With the diesel that can collect in the sump this will give a rise that once over a certain level triggers the message. Always check the oil level after a service on the dipstick as the electronic message can take some mileage to give a true reading and clean oil shows it has been changed.
If I'd just had a service done, then yes this would be a feasible explanation, but as I said, the oil has not been touched since November last year, so I'm still struggling to understand what could have caused the oil level to rise in the last few days ??.

My driveway is on a slight slope, so need to go and find somewhere level to check it out
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 09:51   #7
K5 Gus

Yep, it says it's over-filled - weird...........
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 10:15   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Smell the oil.
If diesel has caused the rise, you should be able to smell it.
Old Sep 6th, 2016, 11:55   #9
K5 Gus

Thanks for all replies, is booked in for Friday.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 02:10   #10
inego

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I would check to see if the servicing people you use have received the bulletins on how to fill the engine correctly - and also that the latest firmware is on the car
I admit it was early last year, but yes to both.