Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alternator upgrade

Views : 8654

Replies : 145

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2019, 23:54   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Or, invest in a solar panel charger.

We're currently experiencing weather likely to cause the second coming of Noah Ash!

See my comments about the rectum-fryer above!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 00:45   #12
aardvarkash10
Master Member

sunny, calm and 22 degrees C here today Dave. Good thing - the entire country is covered in a dense black metaphorical cloud this morning...

Roger your rectifier suggestion - I hadn't mentioned it since I assumed the OP had done an output test on the alternator. I do know the clock in Moomin seems to be built with a movement designed to lift anchors on a freighter - it sucks many milliwatts 24/7.
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 01:09   #13
TonyS9
Premier Member

Dave, AFAIK he is measuring the battery Voltage, not the alternator voltage.

The OP need to stop changing parts 'likley to fail', its perfectly diagnosable, he has a DVM.

You should get close to 14V at the battery with the lights on (higher when colder). 13.5V is poor.

What is the voltage at the alternator?

IF you have 13.5 normally you'll probably be <13 with the lights on, if you only drive the car for 15mins a day, the battery will not get fully charded and die eventually.

Use the voltage meter to work out the junctions with the biggest (or any measureable) drop. Should be <0.1V in a high current situation.

You will probably find all the cable have issues. You can use sand paper or dremel to clean off the ends of the copper and a nearby surface of the connector, then solder between them. Or drill holes for the battery crimps and fill with solder. You won't be able to solder the blacked copper surfaces.

Last edited by TonyS9; Oct 27th, 2019 at 01:12.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 01:29   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

We've got the meteorological big black cloud instead!

Have to confess, i thoght he'd done a proper charging test before changing the reg, seems not and the output of 13.5V on the new one is low, consistent with a fried rectum-fryer.

As for your clock, do you think maybe the mechanism has been weighted for the Northern Hemisphere by mistake?

Joking aside though, it's pulling way too much juice from the sound of things, i always used to work on a maximum drain of 40mA or less to iclude clock, alarm/immobiliser, stereo memory etc but even that was pushing it a bit. If your clock is pulling more than that on its own, there's something seriously wrong somewhere!

Another favourite is the boot/load deck lamp - often ignored and forgotten about as you only notice it when it's dark.

Not applicable to the Volvo 7/9xx models but certainly on things like Fords that have a permanently live cig lighter, they can go faulty and pull current (3-4A often) flattening the battery overnight.

If aftermarket power/cig lighter sockets have been fitted with a permanent feed though, that could be a source of trouble and i've even known a couple of hazard warning switches to go leaky and pull current too.

Favourite potential culprit on the OPs car is the alternator, it's a bit of a faff to disconnect the B+ lead from it each night but would certainly give an indication if i'm in the right area. Won't be definitive if it's not charging properly though, just a pointer that we might be onto something.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 01:41   #15
Jebus
VOC Member

What actual testing have you done to find it? voltage drop tests and a parasitic draw tests don't take long and would have narrowed it down, there has to be something to cause a draw, pullings fuses and unplugging components one at a time would find it, there are only so many things on a 940 that could cause a draw.

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 01:55   #16
940volvoman
Master Member

Jebus there are things that pull current that don't go through the fusebox,though?
I seem o remember some time ago that Fuse 5 was pulling the most current.I will need to check it again and report back.
With regards the battery Vs alternator voltage I added the three main extra cables,so there wont (or shouldn't be any voltage drop between the two.I also used the unused cable from the previous owners amplifier to connect the voltmeter,just to cover myself with regards voltage drop.Overkill?maybe.I will check the voltmeter readings tomorrow and report back....
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 01:09   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
Jebus there are things that pull current that don't go through the fusebox,though?
I seem o remember some time ago that Fuse 5 was pulling the most current.I will need to check it again and report back.
With regards the battery Vs alternator voltage I added the three main extra cables,so there wont (or shouldn't be any voltage drop between the two.I also used the unused cable from the previous owners amplifier to connect the voltmeter,just to cover myself with regards voltage drop.Overkill?maybe.I will check the voltmeter readings tomorrow and report back....
Shouldn't really be anything that doesn't go through the fusebox except the starter motor.

Just to remind us, what year, model and engine is yours Shaun?

Also, how much of the previous owners amp installation remains? I'd disconnect ALL feeds to that simply to eliminate it from the equation but see my comments further up about the alternator and a test to see if it's likely to be the rectifier.

By the way, did you want the details on the immobiliser?

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Oct 27th, 2019 at 01:10. Reason: Immob Q.
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 02:13   #18
940volvoman
Master Member

There is no trace of the previous owners amp that remains.He took it all out except the cable which was neatly threaded from front to back alongside the other parts of the loom.I painstakingly unthreaded the cable back to the front end and ran it across under the dash to the relay and onto the voltmeter.What there are traces of though are tow bar wiring,both OEM and aftermarket.I know this to be true because I pulled a small trailer for a while and the indicator lights on the dash didn't operate.Just the aftermarket buzzer in the back.I believe a caravan was also towed because of the dual socket electrics.
My Volvo is the 1998 Celebration Estate which has the B230FK engine from new.

Shaun

PS there is no sign of an aftermarket accessory fusebox which would bypass the factory one (as I have done in my van)
Old Oct 27th, 2019, 07:07   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Ah-ha! More clues! I forgot to mention towbars last night, if you have the supplementary (12S) socket, that supplies power for the caravan to power the fridge and charge the batteries in the caravan.
Chances are there's a split-charge relay somewhere as well. This and/or the supplementary socket could also be a cause of trouble.

Old Oct 27th, 2019, 10:42   #20
940volvoman
Master Member

Towbars,indeed!!
I replaced both sockets back in the summer,as they were both covered in the black plastic weather resistant covers.The supplementary one had lost its spring loaded cover and all the wires /terminals were rusted out.Completely.So I justcswapped em over ,again, to help things along a bit.
However the split charge relay and other associated bits aren't used,so could be removed.....

Thanks for the immobiliser info.Will reply by pm asap
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post: