Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Goodbye 940 :(

Views : 2348

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2019, 18:43   #11
griston64
Premier Member

Good luck with your new venture Luke. Hope it all goes well for you......regardless of what car you drive to get you there

Agree on the fuel consumption as my Wife drives a 1.0 Fabia petrol which can get 60+ mpg on a run and 40+ town driving. I don't do many miles each week in the 940 so it's not an issue but there is no comparison with a small modern cars
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 18:46   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I should have fitted the LPG kit from my breaker instead of selling it but alas we live and learn.
Another LPG kit yes, that one, no! You wouldn't have liked only having 100bhp to play with!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 18:50   #13
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Thanks Mark, I really hope it works out too haha. I used to spend about £80 a month on fuel in the Fabia, now I'm doing 40 miles a week less in the 940 I'm spending £160-£200 so I dread to think it will be with the increased mileage.

Oh no Dave what was up with that kit from the breaker?
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 19:11   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Oh no Dave what was up with that kit from the breaker?
In general, poor workmanship when it was first fitted but the biggest hurdle was the reducer was only rated at 90 or 100bhp. I don't know how so-called professionals get away with things like that, i've bought a couple of LPG kits for my beasts and both of them only have 145bhp reducers, one allegedly came from a 3.2 V6 Audi and i can't remember what the other one was meant to have come from but the reducers were sorely under-rated for the use they were put to!

The other bit would be my personal preference for not using LPGTech stuff, nothing actually wrong with it but it's just not very well supported in the UK which makes life difficult. A bit like Star-Gas, not well supported here but ok kit as it goes.

Nothing you could have foreseen or known about at the time, only came to light recently about the reducer as well.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 19:53   #15
360beast
Go redblock or go home

There really are some cowboys out there!

I wonder what the Audi driver thought when they can it on lpg then as I bet it didn't run right.
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 20:12   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
There really are some cowboys out there!

I wonder what the Audi driver thought when they can it on lpg then as I bet it didn't run right.
Wouldn't mind betting they programmed the LPG ECU to add petrol when it was given the beans - defeats the object of the conversion though!

Old Nov 6th, 2019, 20:28   #17
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I have looked in to the way diesel is being banned now and have decided the plan is as follows.

Get the Fabia in the road and use it
Sell the 360 project
KEEP the 940 where the 360 is
Hopefully rent a unit close enough to my house that I can walk or use the 940 again and sell the Fabia.

I was driving the 940 today with the heated seats on, needed to overtake someone and it was effortless and still quiet and I just know I will miss it too much. The other thing that swayed me was the fact the 940 has more air bags and probably a much stronger shell if I were to have an unfortunate accident and it isn't a dirty diesel haha.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 20:33   #18
jpliddy
VOC Member

Quote:
I have looked in to the way diesel is being banned now and have decided the plan is as follows.

Sell the 360 project
Hopefully rent a unit close enough to my house that I can walk or use the 940 again and sell the Fabia.

I was driving the 940 today with the heated seats on, needed to overtake someone and it was effortless and still quiet and I just know I will miss it too much. The other thing that swayed me was the fact the 940 has more air bags and probably a much stronger shell if I were to have an unfortunate accident and it isn't a dirty diesel haha.
keep the 940 luke you won't regret it !
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 21:55   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Sell the 360 project

Good plan Luke!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 22:34   #20
volvo always
Premier Member

I have a 1996 940 SE Lpt auto which is my workhorse as self employed doing property maintenance.

Around 18 months ago I bought a 2006 Lexus IS 220 Diesel with high mileage of 174,000 for £1500. Now on 186,000

It's not regarded as diesel EGR and DPF issues and head gasket and is now loosing 0.5 litres of coolant in 150 miles.

It runs really well, mpg not great from the 2.2 litre 177bhp around 33-38mpg, better in summer.

Like you I plan to sell. Before April 2020 as prefer my auto Volvo rather than the 220D manual as large turbo lag and gearbox/engine miss matched.
940 Fuel economy not great, but so reliable!

Safety probably not great now, but one thing I have noticed compared to the Lexus is the excellent visability the 940 affords you.
This morning I had my heated seat on too!

The Lexus build quality is fab and comfortable and very safe with 10 air bags including passenger and driver knee air bags and everything works faultless.

I will at some point buy another Lexus as I do like them but a Diesel one a poor choice, this time either the highly rated IS250 V6 petrol auto or a GS450H of around 2007 vintage. In SEL Trim!

My 940 needs a few jobs doing. Investigate loosing coolant over the past 2 months. Around 0.5 litres over 150 miles.
Thinking look at hoses near oil filter housing? changed rad and turbo ones round 3 years ago as well as a Nissens rad. Also had a bit of water on top of water pump top seal recently. Water pump changed nearly 3 years ago when cambelt done.
Need to check heater matrix and rear engine hoses.
Even if the head gasket goes would have it done as such a good workhorse and auto!

You have done the right thing!

PS I think a 940 saloon is an ideal LPG conversion candidate as the estate you want all the space or where to put spare wheel if donut tank. In the saloon an oblong tank behind seats a nice location.

James.

Last edited by volvo always; Nov 6th, 2019 at 22:48.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post: