Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

16" steel wheel options for P2 chassis cars

Views : 1462

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2019, 20:50   #1
Turbodave
VOC Member

Default 16" steel wheel options for P2 chassis cars

Gents,

I've done some Googling but struggling to get a definitive answer but I'm after a set of 16" steel wheels for a P2 V70 and they seem to not exist... however, I know that Ford wheels share the same 5 x 108 pattern however have a centre bore of 63.4mm with an ET52 whereas the P2 chassis is 65.1mm and an ET49.

That's 1.7mm difference on the centre bore... so, assuming I armed myself with a 70mm cone grinder, I could in theory just open up the centre bore of the Ford wheels by 1.7mm and they'd be fine on the V70?

Or am I missing something...
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 21:54   #2
jnmonaghan

Default Steel Wheels

Some years back,P2 Volvos bought in Ireland were supplied with steel wheels.
Perhaps, you could try breakers there or Forum members might respond

Jude
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 23:08   #3
reggit
Premier Member

Very much depends on what size brake discs are on it. If they are 305mm look for Volvo ‘mimas’ wheels, there’s another model as well that fits but I can’t remember the name. All others foul on the disc.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 17:32   #4
oragex
Premier Member

The wheel size on the P2 wasn't shared with any other cars.. I've read perhaps with some Jaguar, but only a guess. It's not only about the center bore, but - as mentioned above - more about the offset and caliper clearance. I would give the main dealer a call.. I've seen here in Canada P2 with steelies a few times, very rare and don't remember the size. So I think Volvo had them at some point
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 00:33   #5
AndyV7o
Premier Member

There are P2 16" steels about, couple of sets recently on farcebook volvo group you obviously missed!
Any reason for steel specifically?
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 00:34   #6
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
Very much depends on what size brake discs are on it. If they are 305mm look for Volvo ‘mimas’ wheels, there’s another model as well that fits but I can’t remember the name. All others foul on the disc.
How about Orbit?
Asking cos I have orbits for winter and looking to change to 305mm... Normal wheels are mimas so thats all good!
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 11:46   #7
old onions

Default 16 inch steels for a P2 V70

I purchased a set of 4 from a member here. After a puncture I decided to obtain another steel wheel to replace the space saver about a couple of years ago, and found they were available new.

I think it was a pattern part but had all the right marking and is identical to the other 4.

I can't find a link immediately but will try to dig it out for you.

2006 V70 SE 2.4 Manual
old onions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 11:52   #8
old onions

Quote:
Originally Posted by old onions View Post
I purchased a set of 4 from a member here. After a puncture I decided to obtain another steel wheel to replace the space saver about a couple of years ago, and found they were available new.

I think it was a pattern part but had all the right marking and is identical to the other 4.

I can't find a link immediately but will try to dig it out for you.
Here it is:

CP Reifen Trading GmbH trading as TyreLeader Tyreleader.co.uk

I bought in January 2016 at a cost of £43.74 including delivery and VAT.

I have an order number (00001116363) but no part number, sorry.

2006 V70 SE 2.4 Manual
old onions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 12:58   #9
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

A few years ago $200 bought me a set of 4 mounted snow tires from a bloke in a neighboring town. I've forgotten which Volvo he owned. I test fitted the wheels at the time of purchase.
Volvo 16" Steel Wheel #9173122
Volvo Plastic Wheel Cover #30714561 (good, thick, resilient plastic)
The snow tire's size is 215-55-16

I've used 'em on 2 P2's; a 2002 and a 2007 where the specced Summer tires where 195-65-15 and 205-55-16, respectively.

They rub a bit on full lock but I can adapt given snow tires' UNBELIEVABLY SUPERIOR performance.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 14:56   #10
oragex
Premier Member

The advantage of a steel wheel - besides replacing the alloy ones during the winter season to preserve them from corrosion, is in areas with harsh winter conditions: a steel wheel has very small 'holes' and this keeps the snow and ice from entering inside the wheel - especially when the car sits parked during a severe winter snow, which will cause wheel unbalance and it's hard to remove. I have this problem here in Canada, alloy wheels have these fancy designs that allow ice and snow to accumulate inside causing the steering to shake strongly on the open road - plus it's very difficult to remove this from inside the wheel. A steel wheel is perfect to protect from this, unfortunately these become less and less frequent these days.