Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety Recall

Views : 5843

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2019, 13:20   #21
familymangreg
Premier Member

I've just used the check located here, and get the following:

-------
This vehicle has been recalled since at least 12 November 2019.

Contact a VOLVO dealership to arrange for repairs.

If you've had the recalled component repaired recently, it can take up to 3 weeks for the manufacturer to update their records.

This information is provided by the vehicle manufacturer. If you think the information is wrong, contact the vehicle manufacturer's dealership. Please do not contact the DVSA, as we are not able to change the recall status.
--------

Will give it a few weeks before I start chasing, figuring the longer I leave it the later the software will be if they do a full update!

:wq
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 14:22   #22
scw

Very odd. Mine comes up as "No outstanding safety recalls found".

It was last at the dealer (for a service) in May, so there's no chance it already has the necessary mods.

Steve
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 14:41   #23
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scw View Post
Very odd. Mine comes up as "No outstanding safety recalls found".

It was last at the dealer (for a service) in May, so there's no chance it already has the necessary mods.

Steve
Using the link provided by Familymangreg I checked yet again. Still saying No Recall. All seems very strange.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 15:00   #24
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
I just don't understand . My car ia a 2017 MY V90 D4. Thus it has the 4 cylinder VEA engine. A check of the DVLA site recognises my details and correctly identifies the car. It clearly sstates that there are no recalls outstanding. Last check was 3 minutes ago. What am I missing?
The car was last in the dealers a week ago for the oil overfilled issue. Forgot to ask about recall but no mention made of it.
Someone may well have explained this already but basically you may be confusing the operation of mandatory safety recalls or urgent mechanical modification with optional upgrades and extras. Recalls are usually issued through the DVLA or by the manufacturer for non-safety related issues. Optional upgrades may not be notified and may be done at a regular annual service either automatically or offered. Some optional upgrades which offer extra features rather than modifications may incur a charge.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 15:47   #25
rp83

Just spoke to Volvo where I was scheduled to bring my car in (for a different problem). They mentioned that I am down for recall software update/upgrade. They said it had something to do with ECM (at this point I am mentally checked out) and needs EGR blah blah blah. I am told it will take 3-4 hours so will drop it off tomorrow. Just wondering if there is a way to check what software version I have at the moment? I'd like to check post update/upgrade tomorrow - Rp
rp83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 16:26   #26
weemark

As above my car was booked in for other work yesterday (I booked this appt 6 weeks or so ago) - turned up y'day morning to be told they'd also be doing the work in relation to that safety 'recall' from July. When I talked to the tech in the workshop, I understood the principles but not the specifics so don't ask me to repeat but for info attach a copy of the job report in case this means more to some!

As an aside, I had a V60 T5 R-Design as a loaner for the day - given the Polestar box in the glovebox I assume it also had this enabled. Not so great off the mark but like a scalded whatsit between 30 and 70ish where I guess the power is most useful. Couple of issues tho, 60 miles of mixed driving on a variety of rural and urban roads, most of it without the lead boots, and I managed an indicated 27.8 mpg .. gulp. Biggest problem, and this is a common theme for all non-XC designs for someone of my height (6' 7"), getting in and out of the thing is a nightmare. The roofline is so low I pretty much need to bend double so not what you'd call elegant - just the same as my wife's V40
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2019-11-13 at 15.13.31.jpg (106.2 KB, 37 views)
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 17:35   #27
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
As an aside, I had a V60 T5 R-Design as a loaner for the day - given the Polestar box in the glovebox I assume it also had this enabled. Not so great off the mark but like a scalded whatsit between 30 and 70ish where I guess the power is most useful. Couple of issues tho, 60 miles of mixed driving on a variety of rural and urban roads, most of it without the lead boots, and I managed an indicated 27.8 mpg .. gulp.
I generally get 30+mpg but that is because I have relatively short journeys in slowish traffic. I have managed over 40mpg on a long journey using dual carriageway roads, and that was cruising at 70.
I had a S60 T5 R Design as a loaner and that was showing the upper 20s mpg. It had only done about 700 miles so was still a bit stiff.
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 19:24   #28
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Someone may well have explained this already but basically you may be confusing the operation of mandatory safety recalls or urgent mechanical modification with optional upgrades and extras. Recalls are usually issued through the DVLA or by the manufacturer for non-safety related issues. Optional upgrades may not be notified and may be done at a regular annual service either automatically or offered. Some optional upgrades which offer extra features rather than modifications may incur a charge.
Thanks but i fear the above confuses me even more. I thought original fault, overheating of and melting plastic componants, affecting 4 cylinder VEA engines made between 2014 and 2019 was the subject of a recall. Nowhere have i seen any comments or reports of it being considered an optional upgrade.

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 19:35   #29
rp83

Mines come back from the service today and they have said they have done "total upgrade"; did not get any paperwork to post the copy of work. I was referring to This Website https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...ftware-updates but do not see any of the updates in the car. Should this have formed a part of upgrade?
rp83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 21:03   #30
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Part of an email from Volvo CS today.
I have checked your vehicle and unfortunately this has been effected by the recent Safety Notification.

Provided that you are not experiencing any of the symptoms such as loss of power, engine lights on, or a smell, then your car does not need to be taken off the road.

If you experience any of the symptoms described, please follow the guidance provided on our Q&A page https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai.../notifications

There have been a number of corrective measures carried out which are improving this situation, but the complete solution is still under development at this time and is an urgent priority for Volvo Cars.

If you can confirm your address details and we will update our system with your correct information, and will contact you with details of the complete solution as soon as it is available.

Further news is most likely to become available by the new year.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote