Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 Steering/Suspension query

Views : 2199

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2019, 09:30   #11
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Just as a heads up/benchmark:

The item below on ebay is for 17" genuine Volvo Mk3 wheels with tyres. If they're "as new" and have quality tyres with a bit of life left, £400 is not bad.

HOWEVER! Note that these are 8J rims not 7J! so they have the same offset as the 18" wheels and will give the same handling characteristic, albeit with a softer ride.

The V60 and S60 of the same vintage as your V70 uses the same wheels by the way, so always worth doing a seach using those terms!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-R...EAAOSw~8lduzSc
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 21:13   #12
Kev0607
Premier Member

What do you think of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-V70...AAAOSwTaxdL3aY

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/283625630827

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-v....c100012.m1985

I think they're all Regor's & the latter seems like the best value to me. They should fit my 2007 S80? The only downside is that the alloys in the last link have winter tyres on, which aren't suitable for all year use & I'd have to buy tyres suitable to use the rest of the year.

I haven't actually purchased anything in an auction off Ebay before. Do you know how it works exactly? I can place a bid or place an offer according to the advert. There's no bids on them currently, so if I put a bid in, does that mean I have to wait until the auction expires until I find out if I've won or not? Does making an offer for the full price cut the auction out so to speak? Presumably the price of £130 is the figure that the seller wants, or would this be a minimum figure? I've noticed next to delivery is says 'Varies', so how does the seller know they need to be delivered if I was to go for these particular ones? These are miles away from me, so delivery would be the best option.

Once again, thanks for your replies.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 11th, 2019 at 00:01.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 10:52   #13
tommyweaves
Premier Member

That last set in Spennymoor look nice! It says collection in person only so I'd take that as read, and ignore the bit that says "Delivery: varies". If you get them at the right price I'd just go and get them.

Re: Ebay in general. If you make an offer and it's accepted then that's it, end of auction, you've done a deal.

If you can get them for £200 I reckon you've done really well. 'd get in there quick before someone else makes an offer tbh, as they look in pretty good condition, especially when you compare then with the others which are pretty shoddy for the price they're asking.

Regarding tyres; Unless you're racing around all the time those tyres will be fine all year round. Use them up and then get new ones when they need replacing.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 14:56   #14
Kev0607
Premier Member

They seem like a decent set of alloys & appear to have been looked after. There's a bid on them now, so what's the difference in making a bid & placing an offer?
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 15:04   #15
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
They seem like a decent set of alloys & appear to have been looked after. There's a bid on them now, so what's the difference in making a bid & placing an offer?
Think they're off a 2016 car if the ad is correct. So they're only 3 years old.

If you make an offer and it's accepted that's it, you get the wheels.

If you bid then you have to wait until the end of the auction to see if you win. But you can always increase your bid. It's a bit of a game tbh.

I'd genuinely recommend trying to get them by making an offer. I suspect the ad has only been up 24 hours. If you can't get them at a price you like that way, then just put in that same amount as a bid. The ebay system will automatically bid on your behalf UPTO your maximum bid.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 16:05   #16
Kev0607
Premier Member

I think they're a nice set of wheels. The only issue would be the collection, as its a five hour round trip at least... Its not exactly 'down the road'.

What would you recommend as an offer if it was yourself?

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 11th, 2019 at 16:08.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 17:20   #17
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I think they're a nice set of wheels. The only issue would be the collection, as its a five hour round trip at least... Its not exactly 'down the road'.

What would you recommend as an offer if it was yourself?
Depends really what you want to pay! I think they're great value at £200. Try at £180 and see what happens, I'd probably go to £250, but at £300 still think they're worth it. Factor in what you'd get for your current wheels and tyres, and your trip to go and get them.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 20:07   #18
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Incidentally, if you look at the "sales" section of the forum you'll see a set of those wheels for £150. They got sold.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 23:21   #19
Kev0607
Premier Member

After consideration, I think I'll put the search for a set of 17" alloys on the 'back burner' so to speak. I'll keep my eye out on Ebay etc though, but its not a priority at the moment. Many of the ones I've come across so far are in a poor state & would need to be refurbished, which is another additional cost on top of the alloys themselves. Not only that, but many on sale have tyres that are barely legal or are the wrong size & it means purchasing new tyres right from the outset. It starts getting expensive with no guarantees of selling the alloys that are on the car at present! The ones in Spennymoor are nice, but its too far & I haven't got the time at present to go.

I spent £240 on a set of brand new budget tyres a few months ago to match the 18" alloys on the car currently, to the spec indicated on the plaque on the drivers door & they've done very little mileage (Previous tyres were worn). As 'tram-lining' seems to be fairly common, even with the alloys Volvo put on their cars from the factory, then I guess its something I'll have to put up with. The alloys that are on the vehicle now do look quite smart in my view, so they'll do for the foreseeable hopefully. However, If I do come across a good set of 17's in good condition with good tyres in the future & they aren't too far away, then I might go for them.

Thanks once again for your help though.

Last edited by Kev0607; Nov 11th, 2019 at 23:48.
Old Nov 26th, 2019, 06:07   #20
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Any update?