Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Halfords battery doesn't fit V50

Views : 2119

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2019, 11:17   #1
andynormancx

Default Halfords battery doesn't fit V50

I've picked myself up a 2008 V50 2.0 petrol, very happy with so far, but the battery is knackered.

I popped along to Halfords to pick up a new one and proceeded to try and fit it.

Getting the old battery out is by far the most faff of any car I've worked on...

The Halfords battery is about 1.5cm too tall and there is no way the clamp is going to fit over it.

I phoned the local Volvo dealer parts department, turns out they actually sell batteries for less than the Halfords one. Sadly they don't carry stock, so I won't be replacing it this weekend after all

Now I just need to go and convince Halfords that I'm not a muppet and that their battery really doesn't fit my car (I'm going to guess there are some flavours of V50 where the clamp is different enough to allow it to fit).
andynormancx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 11:32   #2
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynormancx View Post
I've picked myself up a 2008 V50 2.0 petrol, very happy with so far, but the battery is knackered.

I popped along to Halfords to pick up a new one and proceeded to try and fit it.

Getting the old battery out is by far the most faff of any car I've worked on...

The Halfords battery is about 1.5cm too tall and there is no way the clamp is going to fit over it.

I phoned the local Volvo dealer parts department, turns out they actually sell batteries for less than the Halfords one. Sadly they don't carry stock, so I won't be replacing it this weekend after all

Now I just need to go and convince Halfords that I'm not a muppet and that their battery really doesn't fit my car (I'm going to guess there are some flavours of V50 where the clamp is different enough to allow it to fit).
it's not their fault. there are two or three battery Variants for these cars. I had this exact issue on my 2l petrol c30. they use a different size clamp. i bought the 19cm high battery same as you, turns out my existing was 17.5cm same as you.

However. If you removing top clamp, and hammer the 'kink' in the clamp and reshape the end where the bolt goes through, you can increase the distance between the top flat section and the fixing holes by over 1cm. it took me 5 mins and then I was able to get the clamp wholes down far enough over battery try studs to get the nuts back on. tighten down, jobs a gooden.

Also means I got the higher capacit bosch S5 battery, so was worth the hassle.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 11:50   #3
andynormancx

It definitely is Halfords fault. It isn't like they started selling batteries for V50s yesterday.

They must have had thousands of customers returning batteries than don't fit for at least the last five years now. Plenty of time to spot the problem and update their data to make sure they recommend the right battery (or at least warn that they cannot recommend the exact battery).

Last edited by andynormancx; Nov 9th, 2019 at 11:54.
The Following User Says Thank You to andynormancx For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 12:41   #4
lockstock

Quote:
It definitely is Halfords fault. It isn't like they started selling batteries for V50s yesterday.

They must have had thousands of customers returning batteries than don't fit for at least the last five years now. Plenty of time to spot the problem and update their data to make sure they recommend the right battery (or at least warn that they cannot recommend the exact battery).
fairplay, probs best to spend some energy being angry at them. It's not as if they have a well known reputation for being sub par. Not sure why I defended them, except to say it is probably a volvo spec issue as the taller 19cm batteries get recommend for our vehicles from other sellers too. Anyway as I say there is an easy fix if you want to keep the over priced halfords battery. Or you could use a tape measure and buy the correct size, in a better brand, for less elsewhere. Hope you get it sorted.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 13:20   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

you need to get a refund and use a volvo battery ! did you order one ? They can get one the same day or at the very latest the next day , they have 3 deliveries a day ..
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 13:28   #6
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you need to get a refund and use a volvo battery ! did you order one ? They can get one the same day or at the very latest the next day , they have 3 deliveries a day ..
not sure why you would go with a volvo battery. Bosch S5. 5 year warranty. double check size and cold crank spec but I'm pretty sure this will fit correctly. 17.5 tall.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/bosch...ntee-444770758

use code VCL52 at checkout and get a bosch s5 battery with 5 year warranty for £83.......
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 13:40   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
not sure why you would go with a volvo battery. Bosch S5. 5 year warranty. double check size and cold crank spec but I'm pretty sure this will fit correctly. 17.5 tall.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/bosch...ntee-444770758

use code VCL52 at checkout and get a bosch s5 battery with 5 year warranty for £83.......
volvo batteries are the best deal out there and correct for the car as he found out .
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 13:56   #8
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
volvo batteries are the best deal out there and correct for the car as he found out .
pretty sure Volvo is more than £83 and the warranty is a lot less than 5 years. So not my idea of a deal. The bosch S5 in my audi was still going strong after 7 years when I sold it, not even trickle charged once. Anecdotal but I'd trust the quality of the S5 bosch to be as good as the volvo ones.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 14:04   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
pretty sure Volvo is more than £83 and the warranty is a lot less than 5 years. So not my idea of a deal. The bosch S5 in my audi was still going strong after 7 years when I sold it, not even trickle charged once. Anecdotal but I'd trust the quality of the S5 bosch to be as good as the volvo ones.
£68 a basic volvo battery 3 year warranty . what ever the make warranty claims are extremely few and far between . And those that do give trouble are down to abuse . Todays batteries are ruined if they are left flat for just a day or two ...
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 14:14   #10
andynormancx

I've already wasted several hours of my life on this, that is why I'm going with the Volvo battery. I don't want to waste more of my time tracking down another battery that might or might not fit.

The Volvo battery might not have a 5 year warranty like your Bosch one, but it is about the same price.

Anyway, I phoned the dealer and ordered the new battery three hours ago now...
The Following User Says Thank You to andynormancx For This Useful Post: