Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 auxiliary belt & tensioner

Views : 898

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2019, 12:51   #1
bracken78

Default D5 auxiliary belt & tensioner

Hi all, I know this question has been asked a number of times but wanted your views please as Volvo states the belt should be changed at 5 years or 54,000 miles whichever is sooner but no mentioned of the tensiner.

MY D5 XC70 at 3 years and 30,000 miles had the auxiliary belt changed but not the tensioner at a Volvo garage (no I'm not sure why it was changed so early). I have the invoice with part numbers used and the part number for the tensioner is not mentioned but belt is. Now at 5 years only and 53,000 miles, should the car have a new belt along with the tensioner as the tensioner was not replaced at the 3rd year service?
bracken78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 15:51   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

I'd recommend changing the tensioner & the aux belt as soon as you can. The tensioner itself costs about £60. If it fails, it can do serious damage to the engine & that wouldn't be a risk I'd take for the sake of a £60 part.

It makes sense to change the belt & tensioner at the same time in my view, as to change the belt, you have to loosen the tensioner anyway - Why not replace it whilst working in the area afterall. Preventative maintenance as they say, but its your car & your choice.
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 17:14   #3
bracken78

You view matches mine but just interested in other views. I've only had the car 6 months and 6,000 miles. It's getting it gearbox oil changed next month so I will have the garage changed the belt and tensioner at the same time while in.
bracken78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 00:51   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Sounds like a plan. Use genuine Volvo parts too, as its worth paying the extra for quality. Some of the aftermarket parts are junk!
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 17:51   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Volvo changed the frequency of the belt change.
3x18,000=54,000 miles so 3 years rather than the 54,000 miles or 5 years as stated in my handbook.

I will not change an aux belt without changing the tensioner, it's the tensioner that causes the problem by failing and shredding the belt.

Under the current volvo regime you could save yourself £60 and change the tensioner every second belt so every 6 years, if you like a gamble.
Tensioner fail, shreds belt, bits get behind cover and derail cam belt, the very best you can hope for is £2000 of cylinder head, worse case and it's £8000 for a new engine. Or take a chance on a second hand engine that may or may not be as good as the one that failed.

£60 seems cheap insurance to me.

Interestingly today visited a local HGV garage, they had an engine in bits to find the cause of a knock and rough running. Valve head separated from stem, damage, cracked cylinder block, chewed piston, bent vales, bent con rod,bits sucked into the turbo and wrote that off. In short that engine is scrap and they stopped looking so possibly crank damage as well. Unfortunate as that is one of their regular vehicles and very well maintained. The driver stopped as soon as he heard the knock, the brakedown man said drive on its an injector knock, 2 miles down the road it stopped permanently.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 00:57   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Volvo changed the frequency of the belt change.
3x18,000=54,000 miles so 3 years rather than the 54,000 miles or 5 years as stated in my handbook.

I will not change an aux belt without changing the tensioner, it's the tensioner that causes the problem by failing and shredding the belt.

Under the current volvo regime you could save yourself £60 and change the tensioner every second belt so every 6 years, if you like a gamble.
Tensioner fail, shreds belt, bits get behind cover and derail cam belt, the very best you can hope for is £2000 of cylinder head, worse case and it's £8000 for a new engine. Or take a chance on a second hand engine that may or may not be as good as the one that failed.

£60 seems cheap insurance to me.

Interestingly today visited a local HGV garage, they had an engine in bits to find the cause of a knock and rough running. Valve head separated from stem, damage, cracked cylinder block, chewed piston, bent vales, bent con rod,bits sucked into the turbo and wrote that off. In short that engine is scrap and they stopped looking so possibly crank damage as well. Unfortunate as that is one of their regular vehicles and very well maintained. The driver stopped as soon as he heard the knock, the brakedown man said drive on its an injector knock, 2 miles down the road it stopped permanently.

Paul.
Does this apply to all models?
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 16:27   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Does this apply to all models?
Honestly, I don't know. I use the 5 and 10 year interval but my car is 10 years and only just passed 80,000 miles.
Cam belt, aux belt and all tensioners were changed this year in March as it's annual service was due and it was 10 years old, 75,000 miles on the clock.

My take is if you do near the 18,000 miles a year then it will need changing every 3 years, if not like me every 5 years, BUT I change the tensioner every belt.
Volvo have had 3 goes at designing that tensioner, they should of got it right first time and as we are on option 3 I have little faith that it's now right. So I change it frequently preferring to pay an extra £60 for peace of mind and let others be the guinea-pig.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2019, 20:20   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

I replaced the aux belts & tensioner on my S80 a few months ago. It had no record of being done & with 102,000 miles approaching at the time, I thought it would be best practice to replace the lot. The timing belt has also been replaced.

I agree that the tensioner should be replaced along with the aux belts each time the job is due. Afterall, what's £60 for peace of mind every five years if you aren't doing big miles, or every three years if you are? Certainly a lot cheaper than a cylinder head or engine, that's for sure!