Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hate failures in the dark (Interior Fan stays on)

Views : 825

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2019, 21:25   #1
petey
Master Member

Default Hate failures in the dark (Interior Fan stays on)

So as I turned the ignition off, I noted that the interior fan stayed running! (2005 V70 D5 SE with Climate Control)
Playing with the control knob changes the LED status above the controller but makes no difference to the fan speed. Selecting defog directs the flow to the windscreen but doesn't change the fan speed. It's dark out there, it's very cold, so with a view to getting it going when next I drive it on Wednesday, I've disconnected the battery pending research.

Whilst I had a dim and distant memory of reading about this happening to other people, I can't find the posts, and more importantly, the solutions, so I have two questions:-

1) Given I cannot persuade VIDA to work, could someone please tell me the fuse number and location for the interior fan so that I don't have to disconnect the battery?

2) Before I start tearing the AC controller apart looking for open circuit resistors, has anyone previously fixed this issue?
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 13:31   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Is this not the feature where the fan remains on to dry the evaporator?

Turning the ACC completely off before shutting the engine down might help.

I've heard it runs on 3 minutes to 5 minutes.

Last edited by Georgeandkira; Nov 12th, 2019 at 13:33.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 13:45   #3
heyskull
Heyskull

Must be something in the air as my 2005/2006 D5 SE has done the same over the weekend.
No matter what you do or how long you leave it, it will not turn off unless you pull fuse 3.

I have ordered a new fan resistor as these are prone to failure and am hoping this cures it.

SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 14:04   #4
petey
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Is this not the feature where the fan remains on to dry the evaporator?

Turning the ACC completely off before shutting the engine down might help.

I've heard it runs on 3 minutes to 5 minutes.
Sorry, to be very precise, it’s the internal hot/cold blower that runs on.
It was dark, I was tired and cold and the battery is easy and assured. I found fuse three this morning, pulled it and then connected the battery (with the key in position II). As expected, the blower didn’t run. However, when I reconnected it, the fan appeared to work as normal, changing state with the change of control request, so I’m assuming that something got warm.
By that time, my lift arrived so I pulled the fuse again and will give it some more thought this evening but what’s this resistor pack, isn’t the motor a PWM controlled device?
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 19:16   #5
oragex
Premier Member

A Volvo tech said after shutting the engine, the fan would spin under certain conditions if the AC was used - but it should start spinning about 40 min after the engine is cut, and only for about 15min. If it starts spinning right after shutting off the engine, one may indeed suspect the cabin blower resistor (or controller). Can be replaced alone, but the blower must come out. This is on a LHD www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6MSCI59JUI
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 19:34   #6
petey
Master Member

Fired it all back up today and it mostly worked ok; a bit erratic but mostly what I was expecting.
So something is breaking down under load or temperature. Grrrrr
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 20:32   #7
heyskull
Heyskull

My heating fan is working intermittently also.
This is what I ordered.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blower-Mo...pid=1628798447
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 21:55   #8
scrumper

Agree with the resistor fault. The one I took out of mine was pretty corroded. New one sorted the problem.
scrumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 22:36   #9
petey
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyskull View Post
This is what I ordered.

Seems getting the glove box out gets to the motor so pending hideous weather this Friday, I can at least confirm good or bad, and get eBay mechanicing....

Many thanks.
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 14:41   #10
petey
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyskull View Post
This is what I ordered.

So it got worse to the point that the fan would run all the time and no amount of disconnecting the battery or removing the fuse would make any difference.
I'd ordered a resistor pack like the one shown above and it was all fine afterwards.
Can't help noticing that this was one of those great designs where it really needs to be assembled when the HVAC unit is out of the car or at least be a LHD variant. To get to one of the bolts, I needed to cut the sound deadening back as there was no way of getting straight onto it and nor was the unit ever going back into place.
Looking at the old one, there's not much to say it's good or otherwise, but it seems to have fixed the issue for now. Yayay