Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Some generic advice if possible

Views : 1188

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2019, 13:32   #1
chris900

Default Some generic advice if possible

Hi all
I'm thinking of getting a V70 (or maybe even an S60). I don't have my eye on one in particular but thought I'd ask for just a general opinion.
I'm not looking to spend much, probably around £1500 so I know that will place a lot of restrictions on what I can buy. I thought I'd ask about what is generally considered to be the most reliable engine in this price range. It doesn't matter to me whether it's petrol or diesel, or even whether it's manual or automatic. I don't drive much more than 5 or 6k a year so fuel economy isn't my biggest motivator. I know that a lot depends on how a vehicle has been maintained etc. so apologies if my question is too broad.
chris900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 13:47   #2
oragex
Premier Member

First and foremost - only my 2c - two things

1. Many cars going for sale get detailed by professionals - they will look like new inside out including the engine area. Tip: this has nothing to do with the mechanical condition of the car

2. The best purchase is a car that had several important repairs done recently: such as new suspension, new clutch, new PCV (petrol), matching tires of good brand. This means the owner took good care and spent the money you will not have to

As for the best choice, I know people in UK like the D5 engine prior to EGR. However I read there are a few problems with these - such as leaking injectors, intercooler, and perhaps the worst is blown engine caused by a snapped serpentine belt. All fixable, but it needs some attention

My choice would be the non turbo petrol engine, the 2.4 Besides the timing belt, the only weak point is the PCV. This is easy to service but needs to be done timely, some every 80K miles or so - so see if it was already done

Transmission wise - the manual one fails frequently at the slave cylinder and it's a major expense. Some say they didn't had this issue, but it will depend if the car has seen more motorway or not. The automatic transmission is a hit or miss after 150K miles, needs be tested fully warmed up.

Year wise, the 01-02 were more problematic, the 04-05 had CEM problems, later years were better. All years have sunroof drain problems.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 13:53   #3
chris900

oragex, thank you for your detailed reply. It's great to get some advice on the mechanical issues that need attention.
I get what you say about the sunroof. Back in 2001 I had a brand new C70 2.0T as a company car. The sunroof leaked from day one and was never properly fixed despite a few trips to the dealer and there was a strange gurgling/burbling noise from the gap around the sunroof as I drove along with rainwater built up in it.
chris900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 14:09   #4
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Look at my signature, will tell you something about these 2.4 non-turbo petrols.

Few points to add:

Throttle:
Early models (up to 2002 ) were fitted with magneti marelli throttles. These have mechanical throttle position sensors that get worn. There are ways to fix, and even upgrade to non-contact sensors, but save yourself some trouble and look for newer throttle.

Gearbox, automatic:
Take car for long, long test drive, preferably half hour spent in start-stop of city driving. Within this time, gearbox will become hot enough (dial on your dashboard is for engine and engine alone, so don't assume that if engine is warm, so is gearbox). When hot, observe smoothness of gear changes. Especially 1-2-3 and 3-2. Then stop somewhere, turn the engine off, and after a little while (0.5-1minute) start it again. Put it into "D", and feel for lurch. If gearbox is in bad shape, there will be delay after you put it into "D", and then a "kick". More vicious- worse the condition of the box.
Try same trough whole sequence of P-R-N-D-N-R-P.

If these kicks are bad, just walk away.
But if they're not, and you are willing to take some risk, use it to bargain for better price.
And then fix it.

All it takes, and actually the only thing you can do, is oil change. ChangeS, actually.

Volvo in its marketing wisdom (and they're not the only ones) proclaimed these boxes as "sealed for life", or to be exact, they used wording of "gearbox oil should not be changed within the life of car, unless it was used as taxi or for frequent towing".

What is "life of car"?
For user- "till the scrapyard"
For manufacturer- end of warranty period.

And there's many cars that never had this oil changed.

Job is easy, as easy as changing engine oil.
Do it few times (because you cannot, and shall not remove whole oil at once) and oil will gradually be fresher, gearchanges will smooth out as well.

AC compressor:
You could use this to get better price.
Try the air conditioning. If it works ok for 0.5-1 minute, and then cuts out and never comes back- it's most likely AC clutch. Most garages will ask hundreds of pounds to replace whole compressor, few will replace clutch alone, and it's still not cheap.
But it can be "ghetto fixed" at home, at cost of around 50p. And an hour of your time.

Last edited by ThomasG; Nov 12th, 2019 at 14:19.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 01:04   #5
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

get a manual SE 2005-2009. best of the bunch. engine wise it doesn't matter they are all pretty good
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 12:30   #6
Stev Mac

Default Advise

Hi, Have a look in sales especially Sale&Fish Volvo seem it has had all the essential work recently undertaken and the price falls into your bracket!

Current Drive: P2 V70 SE Sports Diesel 2.4 163 BHP.
Stev Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 18:16   #7
vtwinpilot

If you go for a Gen 2 petrol (as I have here in the States, an '06 V70) with an automatic, if you get one with the Aisin-Warner tranny (called the AW-55), it's Achilles heel is the valve body. It cost me $1500 USD to get mine fixed as the shifting went to sh*te. Some guys got lucky and it was just a solenoid fix. I wasn't one of the lucky ones. While I do a lot of work, I didn't want to delve into the tranny. I didn't want any part of that action so I just had it done, bent over, and took it in the shorts.
vtwinpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 19:11   #8
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinpilot View Post
If you go for a Gen 2 petrol (as I have here in the States, an '06 V70) with an automatic, if you get one with the Aisin-Warner tranny (called the AW-55), it's Achilles heel is the valve body. It cost me $1500 USD to get mine fixed as the shifting went to sh*te. Some guys got lucky and it was just a solenoid fix. I wasn't one of the lucky ones. While I do a lot of work, I didn't want to delve into the tranny. I didn't want any part of that action so I just had it done, bent over, and took it in the shorts.
I'm on this very gearbox...
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 07:45   #9
simonwedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinpilot View Post
I'm not disputing that the petrol engines aren't great units but you guys in the US need to understand that petrol (and diesel) currently works out to about $7.50 a gallon here whereas I think you pay less than $3 a gallon. Therefore if you do any significant mileage the greater efficiency of diesel makes these cars much cheaper to run here.
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 09:35   #10
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonwedge View Post
(...)the petrol engines aren't great units (...)
Excuse me?