Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECU Problem ?

Views : 652

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2019, 20:11   #1
v50t5sesport

Default ECU Problem ?

I have a 2007 T5 manual, and today when driving, the display started showing anti skid fault, then after that all in red about brake failure. Still was driving ok at this point, then I lost the throttle, and the car sat on idle and would not rev. After this (I am still moving), the speedo and rev counter stopped working. I managed to get the car to the side of the road when the throttle started working again, and I managed to get going, albiet with the red lights and messages, and no speedo. The throttle went again a minute later, and I had to limp the car to the side of the road. This time I could not drive any further on idle, so I switched off the car, and tried a restart. It started ok, without any messages, and drove perfectly for the rest of the journey. Anyone any ideas to what's going wrong ?
v50t5sesport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 20:31   #2
andy_d
Premier Member

1st off "sunroof or not"?
if yes, check the passenger footwell area for wetness, clean out the sunroof drains , modify the elbows on the end of Both pipes behind the Apillar covers (chop the X off the end as that holds any debris) ,dry the footwell & carpets etc, Then get to the CEM that is there, Battery OFF at this point
check / dry Then clean All contacts to cables, including the plug ends,

if you fail to disconnect the battery when doing this say hello to electrical/ electronic gremlins for months, and or wiper motor failure, rain sensor failures *if fitted , a possessed DIM /clocks and other weird goings on/not goings on with pretty much anything dash / electrical,,

if no sunroof,, skip the drain mods and drying out the footwell jump straight in with the disconnect battery > CEM fun & games

Spray on type contact cleaner "good idea"
wd40 "not a good idea"
fiberglass pencil for cleaning contacts one by one "good idea" but theres a mind numbing number of those when you do them
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 20:45   #3
v50t5sesport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
1st off "sunroof or not"?
if yes, check the passenger footwell area for wetness, clean out the sunroof drains , modify the elbows on the end of Both pipes behind the Apillar covers (chop the X off the end as that holds any debris) ,dry the footwell & carpets etc, Then get to the CEM that is there, Battery OFF at this point
check / dry Then clean All contacts to cables, including the plug ends,

if you fail to disconnect the battery when doing this say hello to electrical/ electronic gremlins for months, and or wiper motor failure, rain sensor failures *if fitted , a possessed DIM /clocks and other weird goings on/not goings on with pretty much anything dash / electrical,,

if no sunroof,, skip the drain mods and drying out the footwell jump straight in with the disconnect battery > CEM fun & games

Spray on type contact cleaner "good idea"
wd40 "not a good idea"
fiberglass pencil for cleaning contacts one by one "good idea" but theres a mind numbing number of those when you do them
It does have a sunroof, and I did the mods a couple of years ago, not checked since. Just had a feel around in the floorwells, both seem bone dry. Just been for a spin, wierd electrical problems now, woudn't start until I left it for a couple of mins, strange whirring noise. Then cleared and running again. Could it be the Electronics attached to the airbox, or is it most likely the one in the wheel well

Last edited by v50t5sesport; Nov 14th, 2019 at 20:51.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 20:54   #4
v50t5sesport

https://www.flickr.com/photos/579111...in/dateposted/
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 21:04   #5
andy_d
Premier Member

a Very high % of the electrical gremlins start and end with the Connectors to/from the CEM
, thats the one in the passenger footwell, up under the glove box ,, the thing you need to remove to do the pollen filter
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 11:30   #6
v50t5sesport

Think it's sorted. Would not start on Friday Morning, until I performed a temporary percussion repair underneath the glovebox. Moved the car round and took out the CEM and cleaned with contact cleaner. Rest of Friday had some local running, and Saturday had a 200 mile trip. Local running today, still fine. I think due to it's position that it accidentally had been kicked by my son, and potentially dislodged a couple of connectors. Stupid place put important electronics, without any guards
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 11:56   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50t5sesport View Post
Think it's sorted. Would not start on Friday Morning, until I performed a temporary percussion repair underneath the glovebox. Moved the car round and took out the CEM and cleaned with contact cleaner. Rest of Friday had some local running, and Saturday had a 200 mile trip. Local running today, still fine. I think due to it's position that it accidentally had been kicked by my son, and potentially dislodged a couple of connectors. Stupid place put important electronics, without any guards
do you have the black kick guard missing ?
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 17:43   #8
v50t5sesport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
do you have the black kick guard missing ?
Must be missing, nothing under there at all. Has been like that since I got the car nearly 4 years ago. One owner and FVSH, so the main dealers must have lost it !
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 20:33   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50t5sesport View Post
Must be missing, nothing under there at all. Has been like that since I got the car nearly 4 years ago. One owner and FVSH, so the main dealers must have lost it !
you can get a replacement , they are very useful and have a purpose :-)