Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Surround removal

Views : 515

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2019, 08:06   #1
Dippydog
Premier Member

Default Surround removal

How do you remove the plastic gear selector lever surround on a MkII 960 auto saloon? I'm talking of the long one that goes from under the ashtray and up around the handbrake to just under the front of the centre armrest.The other day got in it started up and drove it a short distance,pulled up and engaged "P" as soon as I did this the orange arrow began flashing along with the W S E button lights flashing.At the same time there was[for a second or two]a faint crackling/fizzing type noise-like a poor or damp electrical connection- from the area of the W S E buttons so I want to get a look at the connection[s] there.The buttons need looking at anyway as the W button when pressed doesn't stay in the "down" position like the S and E buttons do.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 08:55   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You can achieve what you need to without dismantling the gear lever escutcheon/surround. With the engine off, press the gate button on the gear lever and move it from "P" to "1" (or "L" depending on how your shift quadrant is marked) and back again several times very rapidly.

This should clean the contacts on the PNP switch which i understand is the usual cause of the problem you've got.

Also check your handbook, it's possible the "W" button is designed to not stay down, there should be some sort of indication you're in Winter mode with the engine running so start the engine, select "D" and then presss the "W" button. Either the button should light or a light come on in the instrument cluster or something similar. It should (if my theory is correct) stay on until the button is pressed again to switch it off or possibly until you change from "D" to something else.
On my 760, i have an overdrive-defeat button. Pressing this in "D" brings up an orange arrow on the instruments and prevents overdrive engaging. It stays like that until i change from "D" to something else, switch off or press the button again - the button doesn't latch.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 20:11   #3
Dippydog
Premier Member

My shift quadrant has the L as the "lowest" setting.I've had the flashing arrow problem previously and have done the shifting up and down the quadrant bit[sometimes successful,sometimes not so maybe I need a new pnp switch]each of the W S and E buttons has an individual light in it to presumably indicate that that is the mode selected each of these flash in turn when the orange arrow on the dash flashes.The one thing I didn't get with the car was an owners handbook so I can't check whether the W button should stay down or not.I do know if I select S then that button stays down and makes the E button pop up and similarly if I then select E the button stays down and the S button pops up.If I've got it in E or S and then press the W button it doesn't stay down and the other one[s] don't pop up,so I'm assuming that is faulty in some way?It's just the "crackly,fizzy" type noise from that area that made me think of a poor connection at the plug.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 21:16   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I daresay if you looked on ebay you'd find a handbook for your car. In fact, i know you will :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-960...5/401956314053

(Assuming i'm correct in remembering yours is 1995 of course! )

There are a few others listed but picked that one as i think yours is 1995. Anyway, they're on there!

If memory serves, the PNP switch is easiest accessed from underneath, bolted onto the side of the gearbox. Maybe some more vigorous movement from "P" to "L" and back several times will revive it. I have to do the same in my Rover every so often as it has a similar idea but it tells the EAT ECU what range has been selected and lights an LED (12V bulb as standard, i fitted colour coded LEDs in mine) to confirm the range selected.
That is arranged as half a dozen sprung brass contact pads, a contact line below and another contact pad in the shifter so as you move the shifter/selecttor, each of the small pads is connected in turn to the long pad.
Over a period of time, dirt, dust and moisture build up on the contacts so they need vigorous "cleaning". Fairly sure the 960s PNP switch is going to work on similar ideas, even if they're mounted in different places.

The flashing lights on the buttons and dash indicate a fault, no doubt caused by the PNP switch, if you can stop that happening and remove the memory fuse for the gearbox ECU for a minute or two to clear the memory, you should be able to get some sense out of the three buttons.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 22:43   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

Your memory serves you well,it is indeed a 1995 car. From what I recall when looking underneath it while it was on M.o.T. ramp the pnp switch is accessed from underneath and it seemed to have 2 or 3 electrical plugs on or very close to it.,perhaps it is from one of these that I can here the noise.Thanks for the link to a handbook,that will come in handy.I'll have a look and see if I can work out which fuse is for the gearbox ecu then when the lights stop flashing I'll do as you suggest and remove it for a couple of minutes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post: