Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 D5 Geartronic - Hesitation/delay in pulling away...

Views : 45296

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2015, 22:11   #161
Curly59

Hi, Yes have the delay issue..... XC90 2010 Active D5 Geartronic.

I see the issue with std 185 mapping and Shark 220 map.

I think most can be put down to
1 Heavy Car.
2.Big turbo
3.Geartronic.

As I understand it (many on here better qualified to comment), the gearbox controlling software adapts to your driving, so when I've been pottering around the seems more emphasis on the lag, you are pottering so the gearbox follows. then when you need the quick turn of speed, it takes it time do it its thing!
If I do a good run over the peak district with mainly A-B roads working the box HARD, when I get back into the urban sprawl it feels sharper in the changes.
It's not massive just feels sharper (for a while) until it adapts back again.

I find using manual sport is difficult as 1st is very short and find myself moving to second within a few yards.

Saying that I think 1 & 2 above are the biggest factors, which cant be overcome with a software changes.

Still a great car compared to others!! especially with the remapping
Old Sep 29th, 2015, 23:18   #162
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly59 View Post
Hi, Yes have the delay issue..... XC90 2010 Active D5 Geartronic.

I see the issue with std 185 mapping and Shark 220 map.

I think most can be put down to
1 Heavy Car.
2.Big turbo
3.Geartronic.

As I understand it (many on here better qualified to comment), the gearbox controlling software adapts to your driving, so when I've been pottering around the seems more emphasis on the lag, you are pottering so the gearbox follows. then when you need the quick turn of speed, it takes it time do it its thing!
If I do a good run over the peak district with mainly A-B roads working the box HARD, when I get back into the urban sprawl it feels sharper in the changes.

I find using manual sport is difficult as 1st is very short and find myself moving to second within a few yards.

Saying that I think 1 & 2 above are the biggest factors, which cant be overcome with a software changes.

Still a great car compared to others!! especially with the remapping
My gearbox has a Sport auto mode. I think yours will as well.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 08:41   #163
rich1068
I've Been Banned

Sport Auto? Nothing sporty on an XC90 Roy
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 19:49   #164
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Sport Auto? Nothing sporty on an XC90 Roy
I assumed all the 6 speed autoboxes had it like my XC60 does? My 5 speed 03XC90 doesn't but it doesn't need it.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 20:14   #165
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly59 View Post
I get what you are saying here - the best mine has ever run was after I'd been towing 1.5 tons of trailer and gravel...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 22:03   #166
mick0905

Hi, I'm new to the forum and joined to search/ask about precisely this issue. I've just bought an 05 D5 (126k miles and FSH) and not having driven an auto for about 15 years was wondering if the take-off was "normal" or I'd bought a duffer.

I'd say the take off from standstill feels like the odd occasion when I've accidenatly tried to set off in a manual car in third gear and attempted to get away with it by applying lots of revs and slipping the clutch, lots of revs but not much motion. Is this the behaviour everyone else is talking about? I can set off ok(ish) if I floor it but with lots of wheelspin and attracting the wrong sort of attention.

I have noticed that the "winter mode" button doesn't appear to be working on my car so I'd assumed it was stuck in winter mode and was setting off in a higher gear than normal but having read this thread all the way through I'm no longer convinced this is the case. Sorry for replying to a 6 year old thread but better than starting a new one with a question that already looks to have been asked.
mick0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 22:07   #167
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick0905 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum and joined to search/ask about precisely this issue. I've just bought an 05 D5 (126k miles and FSH) and not having driven an auto for about 15 years was wondering if the take-off was "normal" or I'd bought a duffer.

I'd say the take off from standstill feels like the odd occasion when I've accidenatly tried to set off in a manual car in third gear and attempted to get away with it by applying lots of revs and slipping the clutch, lots of revs but not much motion. Is this the behaviour everyone else is talking about? I can set off ok(ish) if I floor it but with lots of wheelspin and attracting the wrong sort of attention.

I have noticed that the "winter mode" button doesn't appear to be working on my car so I'd assumed it was stuck in winter mode and was setting off in a higher gear than normal but having read this thread all the way through I'm no longer convinced this is the case. Sorry for replying to a 6 year old thread but better than starting a new one with a question that already looks to have been asked.
If you mean you have to apply full throttle at take off and not a lot happens , i would say you have a problem with the turbo control valve or it's vacuum supply ..
It also sounds as if you need a new angle gear connecting sleeve if you get loads of wheel spin on an AWD car .
Old Feb 9th, 2016, 22:17   #168
mick0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
If you mean you have to apply full throttle at take off and not a lot happens , i would say you have a problem with the turbo control valve or it's vacuum supply ..
It also sounds as if you need a new angle gear connecting sleeve if you get loads of wheel spin on an AWD car .
It's more of a lag as others in the thread have said. The revs pick up ok but not much happens instantly at the wheels. It goes but it almost feels like the engine and drivetrain are communicating by postal service. I'm getting used to it but in common with other posters in the thread I've gone to set off from junctions and almost crawled out into the road then been forced to use the kickdown to take evasive action.
mick0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 10:10   #169
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Quote:
I can set off ok(ish) if I floor it but with lots of wheelspin and attracting the wrong sort of attention.

I have noticed that the "winter mode" button doesn't appear to be working on my car so I'd assumed it was stuck in winter mode and was setting off in a higher gear than normal but having read this thread all the way through I'm no longer convinced this is the case..
If the car was in "Winter" mode, you would have a "W" instead of a "D" in the gear position indicator display, also, if you move the shifter across to manual, it would be in 3rd and not 1st if it was in Winter mode. Wheelspin is something you shouldn't be getting at all, unless you are taking off on sheet ice.. Get underneath and see if you can rotate the propshaft by hand, my guess is you will be able to, in which case your splined sleeve has probably failed (common problem £300 at indy, £100 parts DIY)

Mike
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducklakeview For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2016, 10:38   #170
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

Quote:
It's more of a lag as others in the thread have said. The revs pick up ok but not much happens instantly at the wheels. It goes but it almost feels like the engine and drivetrain are communicating by postal service. I'm getting used to it but in common with other posters in the thread I've gone to set off from junctions and almost crawled out into the road then been forced to use the kickdown to take evasive action.
Spot on description ! Until you've experienced the problem its hard for members without out it to comprehend, its my only gripe with the car, but I'm wondering if curly may have something, I drive really sedately , but whenever the garage has given it a test run it comes back much sharper
Dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote