Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 86283

Replies : 468

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 25th, 2019, 11:32   #321
Makavillain

Hi all,
Thanks for your comments.

I don’t smoke, so no buds. Cigs did not go anywhere near this car. I am inclined to think that it is either electric fire or something similar to what Zebster explained. This is possible. I will raise it to Volvo HQ and perhaps let you guys know if we hear back.
Merry Christmas!
Makavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 12:34   #322
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makavillain View Post
Hi all,

I don’t smoke, so no buds. Cigs did not go anywhere near this car. I am inclined to think that it is either electric fire or something similar to what Zebster explained. This is possible. I will raise it to Volvo HQ and perhaps let you guys know if we hear back.
Merry Christmas!
The ciggie issue that Clan suggested would be where butts discarded by other people onto the road were then 'inhaled' by your engine, to then ignite the air filter (and then beyond).

At least Volvo should tell you whether the current recall for a potential intake manifold deformation/fire is still outstanding and, if so, why you have not been formally notified.

Good luck and I'm sure that many of us are looking forward to your update here.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 10:12   #323
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Since receiving the initial 'recall' letter six months ago I have had no further updates from Volvo (for clarity, I refer to the the deforming intake manifold safety recall R29939).

Yesterday I contacted my local Volvo dealer to arrange an annual service, so thought that I should discuss the recall... at first they were adamant that my car had already received the necessary modification (it hasn't) and that a different recall now applies to my car (first I've heard!). After asking for clarification, it seemed pretty much that they are confused about the Volvo recall system and what the various letters mean on their system... apparently my car has an 'M' next to its entry on the recall system which they seem to think means that my car has already been modified. However when I enter my VIN on the Volvo website it still tells me that I have an outstanding recall.

They tell me that - unless there are certain stored error codes or signs of manifold damage - all I'll be getting is an ECM software update that will somehow stop the soot build-up. Presumably I'd get this anyway during the service!

Very disappointing, for all I know my car could be on the verge of suffering intake valve obstruction or even a manifold fire, as they won't even look unless they are obvious external signs.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 10:17   #324
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Since receiving the initial 'recall' letter six months ago I have had no further updates from Volvo (for clarity, I refer to the the deforming intake manifold safety recall R29939).

Yesterday I contacted my local Volvo dealer to arrange an annual service, so thought that I should discuss the recall... at first they were adamant that my car had already received the necessary modification (it hasn't) and that a different recall now applies to my car (first I've heard!). After asking for clarification, it seemed pretty much that they are confused about the Volvo recall system and what the various letters mean on their system... apparently my car has an 'M' next to its entry on the recall system which they seem to think means that my car has already been modified. However when I enter my VIN on the Volvo website it still tells me that I have an outstanding recall.

They tell me that - unless there are certain stored error codes or signs of manifold damage - all I'll be getting is an ECM software update that will somehow stop the soot build-up. Presumably I'd get this anyway during the service!

Very disappointing, for all I know my car could be on the verge of suffering intake valve obstruction or even a manifold fire, as they won't even look unless they are obvious external signs.
Same situation as my brother's V60 had his service last week and told it had the recall software update but the impression is that there are hardware parts which are still under development to complete the recall . The M means the recall is manually updated .. rather than complete .

In any case , recall or no recall if you get any of the symptoms you must get the car in to the dealer straight away .
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 11:37   #325
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Same situation as my brother's V60 had his service last week and told it had the recall software update but the impression is that there are hardware parts which are still under development to complete the recall . The M means the recall is manually updated .. rather than complete .

In any case , recall or no recall if you get any of the symptoms you must get the car in to the dealer straight away .
Thanks, but this dealer gave no indication to me of knowing that upgraded hardware parts are under development... I'll discuss it with them again on Monday when I'm there for the service.

Yes, the receptionist did say that the M on my recall record meant that a 'manual update' had occurred, but she couldn't explain what that meant... any ideas?

I have none of the symptoms mentioned in the recall letter. My car actually runs very well, other than the mpg being significantly worse than it once was, plus using about 1L of engine oil every 4k miles... both of these issues began after the EGR valve and cooler were replaced. Hard to see the link to oil consumption though...
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 13:38   #326
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks, but this dealer gave no indication to me of knowing that upgraded hardware parts are under development... I'll discuss it with them again on Monday when I'm there for the service.

Yes, the receptionist did say that the M on my recall record meant that a 'manual update' had occurred, but she couldn't explain what that meant... any ideas?

I have none of the symptoms mentioned in the recall letter. My car actually runs very well, other than the mpg being significantly worse than it once was, plus using about 1L of engine oil every 4k miles... both of these issues began after the EGR valve and cooler were replaced. Hard to see the link to oil consumption though...
yes the M means one of the operations of the recall has been carried out as part of another process , perhaps in the service for example ..

regarding oil use , have you got any pressure in the engine building up? take the oil filler cap off when running ... stretch a thin rubber glove over the spout and see if it inflates when hot and idling .. it may be a valve sticking in the breather box on top the cam cover which should vent the pressure to the main turbo air inlet pipe .
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 09:12   #327
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makavillain View Post
Hi all,

Merry Christmas!
Any update from Volvo regarding your incident?
Here’s to a safer 2020!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 11:22   #328
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
The ciggie issue that Clan suggested would be where butts discarded by other people onto the road were then 'inhaled' by your engine, to then ignite the air filter (and then beyond).

At least Volvo should tell you whether the current recall for a potential intake manifold deformation/fire is still outstanding and, if so, why you have not been formally notified.

Good luck and I'm sure that many of us are looking forward to your update here.
Yes indeed , despite the extremely small chance of a burning cigarette butt being sucked up it does occasionally happen , i have seen on quite a few times a Butt in the bottom of an air filter housing together with the dried up leaves and the Butt has been burned right down into the filter which indicates it was alight when sucked in and carried on burning into the butt filter , in the extreme air flow . Pure luck whether the leaves catch fire and start the air filter burning ..

Regarding the recall the info is pretty clear from the first letter .
yes the recall is still outstanding
you have not been notified because they is nothing to tell yet ...
when things are ready you will be notified ,
In the mean time , any of the stated symptoms then get the car to the dealer asap . They cant tell you anything because they simply have no info to tell .
The engine software which may or may not be part of the forthcoming recall could have been carried out on the routine service and if so will be marked up on the cars file so will not be carried out when the recall arrives .
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 14:52   #329
JamboT

Had my recall done for this yesterday after noticing the recall on the the Gov.uk website. I had previously received the letter from Volvo regarding this. I thought I would share what has happened as this forum has been valuable to me.

They carried out recall '29948' which was updated software and cleaning of EMAP and TMAP (sensors?). They scanned the DTCs and found fault P200900 for the intake manifold. They replaced the manifold and carried out a compression test which the car passed. They also checked the valve sealing and replaced the fuel pipe. There's another item on the invoice which said ECM EGR Rebuild AP which I'm less certain about.

All costs were covered by Volvo themselves, the car was cleaned and I got a tin of complimentary mints, so all in all, I am reasonably satisfied assuming this 'final fix' is the real deal this time!
JamboT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 15:15   #330
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboT View Post
Had my recall done for this yesterday after noticing the recall on the the Gov.uk website. I had previously received the letter from Volvo regarding this. I thought I would share what has happened as this forum has been valuable to me.

They carried out recall '29948' which was updated software and cleaning of EMAP and TMAP (sensors?). They scanned the DTCs and found fault P200900 for the intake manifold. They replaced the manifold and carried out a compression test which the car passed. They also checked the valve sealing and replaced the fuel pipe. There's another item on the invoice which said ECM EGR Rebuild AP which I'm less certain about.

All costs were covered by Volvo themselves, the car was cleaned and I got a tin of complimentary mints, so all in all, I am reasonably satisfied assuming this 'final fix' is the real deal this time!
I'm not sure it is the main recall, there was another one for leaky fuel pipes and the software is just part of the main recall , very much like my brother's experience .. I believe when they have the full parts to hand they will carry out the full recall for everyone and finish it off for those who have just had part of the work done .

attached is the best informatiom i have found so far which gives some kind of explanation of what it is all about ..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Notification_A12_00028_19_en.pdf (32.5 KB, 47 views)

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4