Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 New battery yesterday. Flat today.

Views : 2388

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2022, 19:20   #21
HenriZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele288 View Post
You are confusing electric heater which was an option as well as fuel heater was. This is electric heater support as used in Ford focus even Ford part nr is stamped on it. In colder climates it was a standard with diesel engine as it takes long to get warm air in to the cabin. They do fail and are draining battery, replacing fuse won't do anything, just replace the heater or remove the fuse to fix the issue.
I am not confusing anything. The heater in question is a heater which can warm up the interiour before the engine is started. Our car does not have it.

In any case, I measured current draws over all fuses, including this one. No issues there.

I logged the battery (I have a datalogger) and it appears the 2,5A draw only lasts a few minutes after the key is removed. After that it drops to 0 - 0,01A.

So my preliminary conclusion is that this battery is simply dead. It's a 2011 V50, so the battery is now 11 year old. As I understood it, these Volvo's didn't get the best of battery's.

Ordered a Varta Silver battery to replace it, and also a replacement for the start-stop battery.

I expect it to be fixed then. If not, I'll be back.

The reason I think the battery itself is near death: today it was fully charged (came of the charger) and less than 20 minutes later (of which we were driving 10 minutes), it would not start.

Normally these batteries have about 90Ah. To empty that in like 5 minutes of not running not charging, it would need to draw impossible currents.
HenriZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 20:53   #22
Simmy
Premier Member

i cannot understand why you are trying to resolve things with an 11 year old battery. most batteries only last 6/7 years . good move ordering a new one hope this resolves your problem .
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 17:32   #23
ele288

I was chasing this problem for 3 months, did put a new varta 900 and this could kill the battery in 4 hrs. The electric support for the heater matrix has a short and you can either replace the heater or remove the fuse. Volvo had at least 4 different heaters as options, one was webasto (fuel driven, rare in UK), second was the electric block heater with optional fan heater on passanger footwel (mostly Scandinavia) and the electric support for heater matrix for Northern Europe is what we have in diesels in UK, you won't find this heater in southern cars (Italy, Spain). That's why you have the fuse in your fuse box. You can ask any volvo dealer with your reg for car configuration or just run vida and it will show that your car has the heater
ele288 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ele288 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 13:13   #24
HenriZ

I have no doubt the heater was the issue in your case. That doesnt mean that it is for everyone.

The new battery has been placed and so far the issue has been solved.
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 14:51   #25
rowdy

Well my new battery drained overnight, replaced it with a better new battery and that drained overnight. Disconnected the 80a fuse and it’s been fine since.

No doubt it was your battery that was the culprit though, if it hasn’t drained overnight again. Hopefully that is your problem solved.
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rowdy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2022, 19:16   #26
HenriZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
Hopefully that is your problem solved.
It is. It's now starting happily, and still doing so after a week. Also replaced the start/stop battery and reset the BMS, and now start/stop is functioning again.

I would like to speak to the Volvo engineer who placed the start/stop battery behind the front bumper. What a bumhole.
The Following User Says Thank You to HenriZ For This Useful Post: