Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Wheel / Boot Area - What Should Go Where?

Views : 1830

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 15:21   #1
anotheruser

Default Spare Wheel / Boot Area - What Should Go Where?

Just bought a new (used) v40.
Only had one owner but I forgot to check what the spare wheel area was like.

A little annoyed as the pictures show more wheel nut covers than are now present but it's not worth my time speaking to the garage - I can imagine they'd just say there's nothing they can do as I've had the car for a few days. There were a few in the spare wheel well (along with the get-off tool) but still less than what the photos show.

Anyway... had a quick look and there seems to be the pump and liquid stuff, a genuine Volvo warning triangle and luckily the locking wheel nut. There's also a spare warning triangle in a white cloth bag. No jack although the polystyrene insert has space for one. I guess as I have the pump and liquid stuff, this car doesn't come with the jack?

There is also a white little funnel thing for refueling from a can, but next to ti a long-ish, similar shape to the fuel funnel piece of metal that I don't know what that's for?

Can anyone point me in the direction of what I should have?
Or a photo of how it should be organised?

Are there any recommendations for stuff that I should get in addition to what I have? I have an emergency kit that I've had for years, which has a tow rope, warning triangle, jump leads and a bunch of other stuff in it. Luckily this will fit in the spare wheel well nicely.

Although if I wanted to get a normal spare wheel (space saver), what sort of words would I type into the internet? Is there anything specific rather than just "volvo v40 space saver"? I note from a 2016 thread that prices seem to have been around £100 but I see some on ebay for around £40 with the jack included.
I have a (late) 2016 D3 Momentum, so I think it has the deep well rather than the shallow one. But then I didn't use the spare in the Focus I had for over 10 years so not sure if it's really worth it anyway?

The last question is regarding a boot liner and whether it's worth it.
There's a rubbery one for £10 on ebay right now - not sure if this would fit or is even worth the money as I don't plan on putting a dog in the back or anything particularly dirty - if I do I'd use an old sheet to protect the carpet. But quite like the idea of being able to whip out a piece of rubber, hose it off and it'll look nearly new again. I find car carpets the worst to hoover. Should I look at rubber floor mats too?

Cheers!
anotheruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2021, 17:55   #2
steV50

You can buy replacement wheel nut covers, here is a link to an online supplier:

https://www.volvoparts.tmsmotorgroup...ariantid=19530

My car came with the space spacer spare wheel and personally I am not comfortable about driving a car without a spare. Last year I had a puncture and the tyre was wrecked so a can of tyre sealant would have been of no use. Volvo assist came out and put the spare on so I could continue driving the car until I could get a new tyre fitted. So yes I think it is worth getting a spare wheel. If you are looking at buying a spare off ebay check that it is for a 2012 onwards V40 and not the old V40 from 1996 to 2004.

There should be plenty of boot mat options online, I think Travall and probably others do a mat specifically for the V40. I have Volvo's own textile/plastic boot mat but then I have a dog in the cargo area every day. I would recommend the Volvo rubber floor mats, they are very good quality and easy to clean and a lot more durable than the carpet floor mats.

If you have a look around the Volvo parts website on the above link you should be able to find details of the rubber mats and space saver.

Hope this helps.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 06:44   #3
FreddieFlintoff

Don't have a v40 (yet - hopefully soon ish)

Always had cars with full-sized spares and been very grateful of this on several occasions too. Does a full-size fit in a V40?
FreddieFlintoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 07:34   #4
anotheruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFlintoff View Post
Does a full-size fit in a V40?
As I understand it, no.

Some V40s have a shallow spare wheel well that slopes that can't even fit a space saver. Depends on the model varient. I have a feeling the R design doesn't have the space for a space saver.

Some V40s have a deeper well that can hold a space saver.

Some people carry a full size spare and just put it in the boot.

You can get a false floor, which separates your boot into two. The top half is like a normal boot albeit a lot smaller than the already smallish boot.
This then lifts up like a lid and allows you to have either a full size spare or a space saver if you have the shallow well.
£100ish if not more for the boot floor. Some have found it useful to store stuff and keep the boot clean but you also lose a lot of space.
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 06:33   #5
FreddieFlintoff

Sorry - more questions. Do you know if the v60 does have space for full-size?
FreddieFlintoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2021, 09:52   #6
steV50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFlintoff View Post
Sorry - more questions. Do you know if the v60 does have space for full-size?
I think you would be better posting this query in the S/V 60 forum.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 13:21   #7
littletehidy

Smile Raised Floor Kit & Spacesaver Wheel / Tool Kit

Hi anotheruser,
I have available the complete kit you require.
This composes of:-
[1] Spacesaver Wheel
[2] Tool kit/Jack (fits into spacesaver wheel)
[3] Raised folding Floor & associated supports.

This was fitted to my previous 2014 Volvo V40 D3 SE LUX NAV.
I had retained this kit for fitting to my newer 2019 V40 Inscription Edition but the area where the spare wheel fitted is now taken up by the AD Blue tank.
If you want to pursue further please contact me at littletehidy@btinternet.com to discuss further.
Regards
Little Tehidy
littletehidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 14:13   #8
littletehidy

Smile Raised Floor Kit & Spacesaver Wheel / Tool Kit

Raised Floor Kit now sold.
Spacesaver Wheel still available if required.
Contact littletehidy@btinternet.com if interested.
littletehidy is offline   Reply With Quote