Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Side jacking points

Views : 617

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2021, 18:21   #1
280E

Default Side jacking points

Hi Chaps,

When the subject of jacking up our cars is discussed, no-one seems to mention these side points. They're just like the ones on my previous S80s, although there's only one on each side where the S80 had two.

Are they okay to use, and will they lift both wheels on that side together?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jacking_point.jpg (162.2 KB, 23 views)
280E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 18:59   #2
4x4
Premier Member

You'll find that when using the single jacking point the rear will lift first then the front and by then the rear will be about a foot off the ground. You need to inspect carefully the metalwork around the jacking point to determine whether they are safe to use on an older vehicle
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 12:47   #3
stevepcar
Steve

Default Jacking points

As I understand it, there is a point on both sides of the 850s at the front behind the subframe triangular mounting plates, that is strengthened to take a axle stands with a suitable spreading device like a block of 2 by 4" wood, or a 4-point lift. I have seen that on the Robert DIY videos & I have used them without any deformation of the flooring. Any body else any views/experience of that?
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 18:43   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280E View Post
Hi Chaps,

When the subject of jacking up our cars is discussed, no-one seems to mention these side points. They're just like the ones on my previous S80s, although there's only one on each side where the S80 had two.

Are they okay to use, and will they lift both wheels on that side together?
Presupposing as 4x4 says the metalwork around them is not deteriorated then they will do fine to lift the car, I routinely use them to jack up the V70 to change wheels and do minor jobs. The limitation is that they lift the whole side of the car, both wheels off the ground, and the jack isn't the most wonderful thing you've ever seen, so if it's for anything more than a wheel change using a proper jack and some axle stands is a much better way to go. Even for a wheel change be very mindful of the possibility of the car coming off of the jack and trapping a bit of you under the car, the handbrake of the 850/70 series has a reputation for not being great so it may be the one remaining back wheel on the floor has little or no brakes.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 19:20   #5
4x4
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
... the handbrake of the 850/70 series has a reputation for not being great...
Odd that you should say that as my MOT tester told be a couple of weeks ago when the 850 was in for its test that the 850s had a great reputation for good handbrakes and mine will easily lock both wheels with ease
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 08:15   #6
turboboy
Master Member

Default Handbrake

When jacking I normally wedge the wheels on the opposite side to prevent them rolling. Used to use some substantial blocks of wood but now have a pair of purpose made plastic wedges similar to this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wedge-Whe...cAAOSw8lZfIC~d

I was always under the impression that the handbrakes on these cars are good when working well but had a reputation for needing regular attention as their performance can deteriorate with cables seizing or problems with the linings. Sometimes the lining come away from the shoes!

My V70 failed on handbrake a couple or so years ago and simply needed the linings roughing up and the mechanism cleaning and lubricating. Now, last week (while working on the rear brake pads) I noticed that the handbrake was not holding properly one side so will need sorting out again before the MOT later in the year.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 13:20   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
Odd that you should say that as my MOT tester told be a couple of weeks ago when the 850 was in for its test that the 850s had a great reputation for good handbrakes and mine will easily lock both wheels with ease
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboboy View Post
I was always under the impression that the handbrakes on these cars are good when working well but had a reputation for needing regular attention as their performance can deteriorate ....
Perhaps it is more fair to say when they're good they're good but when they're bad they're horrid, and a lot of that is about adjustment and maintenance rather than an intrinsic issue, and if one side is good and the other side is bad jacking the good side off of the floor is a recipe for disaster.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 15:50   #8
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboboy View Post
I was always under the impression that the handbrakes on these cars are good when working well but had a reputation for needing regular attention
They don't need regular attention just a proper job doing once then they will last for years.
I personally don't see the point in cleaing up 20+ year old parts so fit new shoes, springs, cables and discs, adjust it correctly then forget about it.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 16:12   #9
ITSv40
VOC Member

My C70 handbrake is the best I have ever had on any of my previous Volvo's.
It is still all original as it left the factory. With the car just rolling, if I then apply the handbrake in the 'normal' manner the wheels will immediately lock and the car will rock backwards and forwards on the suspension. If anyone is having handbrake issues it is because the system is not adjusted/operating correctly.

The car was MOT'd in the last couple of weeks and the tester commented on the general condition of the car and the handbrake in particular. His closing remark was: ''as close to perfection as one can get''.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 16:57   #10
280E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Presupposing as 4x4 says the metalwork around them is not deteriorated then they will do fine to lift the car, I routinely use them to jack up the V70 to change wheels and do minor jobs. The limitation is that they lift the whole side of the car, both wheels off the ground, and the jack isn't the most wonderful thing you've ever seen, so if it's for anything more than a wheel change using a proper jack and some axle stands is a much better way to go. Even for a wheel change be very mindful of the possibility of the car coming off of the jack and trapping a bit of you under the car, the handbrake of the 850/70 series has a reputation for not being great so it may be the one remaining back wheel on the floor has little or no brakes.
Ah - one advantage of forging a good relationship with the machine shop at work is fabricating the attached jacking 'pad' The bottom 30mm 'peg' locates in a standard jack hole. I've used it many times on the previous P2 S80s!

I'd still never, ever get under a car supported solely by any sort of jack Axle stands and/or hardwood sleeper offcuts are always employed.

On the subject of handbrakes, one S80 suffered from the original linings falling apart! Thankfully, I didn't suffer from the drum locking up - something which I've seen reported. I think it's particularly prevalent in automatics where the handbrake gets less use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jackpad.jpg (160.9 KB, 10 views)
280E is offline   Reply With Quote