Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus restarting itself

Views : 2445

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2021, 15:40   #1
crashbarrier

Default Sensus restarting itself

We've noticed recently that on occasions the Sensus system shuts down and restarts for no apparent reason. This happens once you've started, moved off and within a few minutes. Sometimes it will happen a couple of times on the trot.
I called our local Volvo dealer Doves Horsham and had a bit of a comedy conversation with them.
Doves - "Were you using the DAB radio?"
Me-"Possibly, can't recall exactly"
Doves - "Ah, well, that may be the problem. Change from DAB and it may sort it as it's a known software issue and Volvo have a fix that is imminent"

The conversation continued with me questioning that Volvo had produced a car that couldn't play the radio and work at the same time.

Has anyone experienced this before and been given a similar BS answer?
It may be true but seems unlikely as it managed to get through over a year of ownership before this started happening.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 16:10   #2
EssexExile
Master Member

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=315258
There have been other threads about it too.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 17:02   #3
crashbarrier

Thanks for the link. I did do a search before I posted but couldn't find anything specific to my issue.
So it looks like a couple of members have had the issue as it was also possibly linked to the DAB radio. I look forward to hearing what the dealer and Volvo have to say.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 11:31   #4
met24

Do you use CarPlay or Android Auto?

I had an interesting one the other day, when with the iPhone plugged in for CarPlay (normally it’s connected via Bluetooth) I couldn’t get any radio at all - DAB, FM or MW. Appeared to be tuned in, but no sound. Unplugged phone, radio came back. Plugged phone back in, radio stayed. Wibble.

I’ve had occasional Sensus restarts as well, and although I can’t put a definite finger on the cause, for me I think it’s more likely to happen if CarPlay is running or it’s been running recently. CarPlay certainly causes some confusion for Sensus - it’s well known that if you’ve been on DAB, having CarPlay going will likely cause the radio to come back on FM.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 14:06   #5
rubachuk

I had this, and they fixed it on the second visit.

First visit they updated the software which didn't work.

Second visit they replaced the ICM, which is something Control Module, the guy on the service desk didn't know exactly but we guess Infotainment Control Module. No problems since.

I really don't know what this nonsense about not using DAB is all about, but I'd be really naffed off if I was one of the people fobbed off with this. To me, they know the solution but I reckon this control module is an expensive part so they're stalling for time trying to find a cheap work around.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 14:25   #6
crashbarrier

met24,

I don't use either of those but the car does have the ability to. I listen almost exclusively to DAB as Radio 6 is a digital-only station. One thing that disappoints me is that when using the DAB radio you don't get any album art which I have seen on other cars.

rubachuk,

Interesting. We've had the car for about a year and a half and though we think it's great we do groan when it goes anywhere near to Doves Horsham. Everything seems to be just too much trouble when you talk to them. They go for the easiest solution rather than spend some time investigating the problem. I think that they will need to change their ways and they have ceased selling new cars and are now just service and used cars.
I will push the case and ask some relevant questions of the tech if I can get to speak to him or her.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 15:01   #7
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubachuk View Post
I had this, and they fixed it on the second visit.

First visit they updated the software which didn't work.

Second visit they replaced the ICM, which is something Control Module, the guy on the service desk didn't know exactly but we guess Infotainment Control Module. No problems since.

I really don't know what this nonsense about not using DAB is all about, but I'd be really naffed off if I was one of the people fobbed off with this. To me, they know the solution but I reckon this control module is an expensive part so they're stalling for time trying to find a cheap work around.
Interesting and thanks. Just to clarify, after the ICM replacement you can now start the car with DAB radio as default and Sensus doesn't ever reboot itself?
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 15:46   #8
Pitvar

Our MY 2020 XC60 did this again this week - probably happens around one every four months so far...
Pitvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 09:52   #9
rubachuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
Interesting and thanks. Just to clarify, after the ICM replacement you can now start the car with DAB radio as default and Sensus doesn't ever reboot itself?
That is correct. Perfect since.
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 13:30   #10
crashbarrier

It'll be interesting to see if I can convince the dealer to do the same thing for mine. Judging by what they said on the phone they will just plead 'Volvo is aware' and end their investigation there.