Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Would VIDA show fault with glow plug?

Views : 3601

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2021, 15:43   #41
ele288

Next will be glow plug relay and its under front bumper, Ford tdci is using same relay, new at the dealer is a lot of money. The plugs in 1.6 are hard to remove and there is a chance of breaking as is torque only 7nm.
ele288 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ele288 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 16:28   #42
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele288 View Post
Next will be glow plug relay and its under front bumper, Ford tdci is using same relay, new at the dealer is a lot of money. The plugs in 1.6 are hard to remove and there is a chance of breaking as is torque only 7nm.
I thought the glow relay was in the ECM behind the nearside wheel arch. Im sure thate what Vida said. I'll have to check again.
VolvoRob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VolvoRob38 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 16:35   #43
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakm View Post
You may have to scratch the surface to get a good earth on the engine

I would clean up the engine earth while you're in there just as a matter of course
Do you know what I didn't even look for an engine block earth lol, is there a specific earth? I just held the prob on the engine block randomly because I thought the whole thing, like the vehicle body could ve used as earth cant it?

I think I got good readings anyway as the numbers were in range. When I wasnt in the correct position I got readings of nothing or sky high lol. So when I thought I had them positioned correctly I got 0.7-1.2 ohms, looks about right I think.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 16:44   #44
VolvoRob38

Ive got quite a bit of oil leaking out from the filter by the looks of it, no notifications on dash though.

Can anyone tell me what that little thing is in the photo, looks like some kind of sensor?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210408_144019_480x640.jpg (225.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20210408_140704_480x640.jpg (243.2 KB, 12 views)
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 18:52   #45
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRob38 View Post
Do you know what I didn't even look for an engine block earth lol, is there a specific earth? I just held the prob on the engine block randomly because I thought the whole thing, like the vehicle body could ve used as earth cant it?

I think I got good readings anyway as the numbers were in range. When I wasnt in the correct position I got readings of nothing or sky high lol. So when I thought I had them positioned correctly I got 0.7-1.2 ohms, looks about right I think.
As someone else mentioned, you often need to scratch the head or block with your probe to get a good earth - hence the fact they are pointy!

Did you check the resistance of your leads? Touch the probes together and see what you get, it looks like you may have tow S/Cct plugs.

Quote:
Ive got quite a bit of oil leaking out from the filter by the looks of it, no notifications on dash though.

Can anyone tell me what that little thing is in the photo, looks like some kind of sensor?
Your car won't tell you about oil leaks, it expects either the guy in the service bay at your local Volvo main stealer to notice and tell you or for you to inspect and rectify.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 23:30   #46
sakm

Quote:

The earth is located on the gearbox to the front just below the airbox area

I was having some issues and the earth wasn't great so I removed it and cleaned it up and attached it to one of the starter motor bolts
sakm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sakm For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 13:49   #47
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
As someone else mentioned, you often need to scratch the head or block with your probe to get a good earth - hence the fact they are pointy!

Did you check the resistance of your leads? Touch the probes together and see what you get, it looks like you may have tow S/Cct plugs.

Your car won't tell you about oil leaks, it expects either the guy in the service bay at your local Volvo main stealer to notice and tell you or for you to inspect and rectify.

Ye I touched the leads together and got 0.05 ohms.

I'll get onto the oil filter asap, and I assume an oil change would be in order at the same time?
Is an oil change going to be difficult at home without safely raising the car? I had a corsa a few years ago before this c30 and it was easy to do an oil change/service because everything was accessible. Under this c30 there is a plastic cover under the engine that I imagine is going to be quitedifficult to release with the car on the ground. Unless I jack it up one side at a time.... living on the edge lol.

I cant get to the ECM/ECU until some new wheel nuts arrive before taking the wheel off to access it in the wheel arch, as I damaged the nuts on that wheel last time over tightening them. I'll come back to that next week.

Thanks
Rob
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 16:35   #48
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:

I'll get onto the oil filter asap, and I assume an oil change would be in order at the same time?
Is an oil change going to be difficult at home without safely raising the car? I had a corsa a few years ago before this c30 and it was easy to do an oil change/service because everything was accessible. Under this c30 there is a plastic cover under the engine that I imagine is going to be quitedifficult to release with the car on the ground. Unless I jack it up one side at a time.... living on the edge lol.

I cant get to the ECM/ECU until some new wheel nuts arrive before taking the wheel off to access it in the wheel arch, as I damaged the nuts on that wheel last time over tightening them. I'll come back to that next week.

Thanks
Rob
£25
https://www.halfords.com/tools/garag...ds-657131.html

£30
https://www.halfords.com/tools/garag...ds-657149.html

yes its still "lift one side, fit axel stand, lift the other fit axle stand"

Please do Not rely on JUST the jack to hold the car up in the air if you are going under it/taking a wheel off
sadly jacks can and do fail
£25-£30 for removing the risk of the jack slipping/failing and you being the thing it lands on = Worth it ,,,

Please stick a brick/block/wedge under the Rear wheels when lifting the Front,, and front wheels if lifting the back,,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 17:01   #49
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Thanks
Rob
Alternative to the axle stands :

https://www.aimtools.co.uk/products/...0f4ba41f&_ss=r

They work well and don't skid like metal ones. Don't forget a new sump plug washer when changing the oil.

As for your leads, 0.05 Ohms seems low to me but if that's what they showed then your plugs are 0.15 and 0.45 Ohms, might pay to check they are all the same plugs and the correct ones for your car. A small mirror and a torch would help to read the part numbers and make sure they are the same, usually the last 3 digits only changes so be careful of just reading the first few digits and assuming they're the same. Some don't follow this pattern, particularly more recnt Bosch parts that often start "0986" regardless of product group.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 19:24   #50
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Alternative to the axle stands :

https://www.aimtools.co.uk/products/...0f4ba41f&_ss=r

They work well and don't skid like metal ones. Don't forget a new sump plug washer when changing the oil.

As for your leads, 0.05 Ohms seems low to me but if that's what they showed then your plugs are 0.15 and 0.45 Ohms, might pay to check they are all the same plugs and the correct ones for your car. A small mirror and a torch would help to read the part numbers and make sure they are the same, usually the last 3 digits only changes so be careful of just reading the first few digits and assuming they're the same. Some don't follow this pattern, particularly more recnt Bosch parts that often start "0986" regardless of product group.
Thanks guys, I will invest in some axle stands this week. I did have some old metal ones but must have left them in the garage before moving house.

Going back to the original issue re glow plugs; my tester seemed to slow down and almost stop on 1.2, but slowly it kept ticking down until it stopped on 0.05. Just looking at the plugs they do all look the same. They are so small (and rusty), where exactly would a product code be, without removing them?
2 plugs were higher ohms than the other 2, dont know if thats anything to take notice of?

I was too impatient to wait for the nuts to arrive, and the weather is so nice today I thought Id get outside and take a look at my ECM. The nuts are completely toast now, ruined, so won't be driving anywhere now until the new ones arrive!
I got the wheel off anyway and opened up the ECM, but I was not expecting to see what I saw (photo attached). Well I kinda was, but Vida showed the issue is with the glow relay faulty signal, so I expected to see the relay (photo attached) in there, where I was going to unplug and clean with some contactor spray. However, looking at that ECM I have seen and read of many people removing these and then the car failing to start, so Ive just put everything back as it was.

Also I wasnt sure if I should disconnect the power (battery) before messing with that, so wanted to come back and check here before going any further.

Im just checking vida now and it is pointing towards the area of the ECM... but looking at my photo, where exactly is it located? Somebody mentioned behind the bumper?

Can I get to it if I remove the whole ECM box e.g. from behind?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210411_163120_480x640.jpg (230.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (5.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20210411_185433_640x480.jpg (298.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by VolvoRob38; Apr 11th, 2021 at 19:59.